Shift Boot for a Tip DIY

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2003, 01:56 AM
fbfisher
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Shift Boot for a Tip DIY

Jonathan - you sent me a PM asking about how to change out the Tiptronic plastic shifter plate for a 6 speed boot. This message was too long for a PM and you don't accept email so I have decided to post here.

Someone else posted a pic and description of this process but I was unable to find it through the search so here goes. If someone else remembers that other post or it was your post, please put the link in this thread.

DISCLAIMER: I AM NO DIY GURU - READ THE DISCLAIMER ON ROBIN'S SITE AND APPLY ACCORDINGLY TO THIS POST.

NOTE TO JOHN D OR VIKEN - FEEL FREE TO REMOVE THIS POST AND EMAIL TO JONATHAN C IF YOU THINK APPROPRIATE.

Let me also say that I am not a good one to ask because I was unable to remove the plastic without accidentally breaking one of the tabs holding it in place. No biggie since I don't want it anyway but when reading below, consider the source.

OK, enough with the disclaimers. Others who have made similar efforts chime in.

Basically, the plastic is held in place by a Chanel created by two tabs located on each side of the piece.

You remove the shifter first by unscrewing the **** that you depress to shift into gear. Move the shifter into N and then hold the shift **** while unscrewing the button.

Then twist and pull the **** up and off it comes.

You are now ready to pry the plastic plate out very carefully using a flat head screwdriver and your hand to begin to pry it out of the tabs holding it in place. Be VERY CAREFUL not to stab or jab your leather console. It takes some effort - and a profuse amount of sweating - to get the thing moving. I found it was actually easier to get it to pop down into the console first, rather than getting it to pop out. Once the piece was detached from the sides and down inside the console it is easier to angle it around to get it out.

I made two mistakes when installing the leather boot. The first time I installed the boot prior to checking to be sure it was the right shade of grey. I had to remove it and send it back and drove around with a rag in the console as I did not want to go through the trouble of wrestling with the plastic in and out again. The second "mistake was installing the boot without first cutting it down. This is not such a problem but the install is not as clean and custom looking to the trained eye.

The right way to do it involves first removing the black rubber shift handle that comes inside the boot. Then cutting a few inches off the end and pulling it over the bottom end of your **** (inside out) then using a tie strap to secure it to the **** and pulling it back over itself. You will need to make sure you attach it in the proper position because the shift **** only goes on one way. Practice putting the **** on and off with the button screwed back on and you will see what I mean by the importance of having everything aligned before attaching the boot to the **** and installing on the shifter shaft.

The boot is easier to install than the plastic because instead of tabs it has a flexible cable around the perimeter.

I would post pictures but I don't have a digital camera. saving my money for more mods.

Feel free to call or PM with questions. Hope this helps

Fred

818-522-7800
Old 10-16-2003, 09:59 AM
Jonathan C
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Fred - thanks for the tips - this was the sort of info I was looking for, because if I can do something the wrong way, I will! I see what you mean about the excess material and the **** aligment. When I get the part, I'll let you know how it goes. Thanks again! --Jonathan
Old 05-22-2004, 01:59 AM
911 343
Intermediate

Did you get that camera yet? Sounds very cool!
Old 05-22-2004, 07:47 AM
Blizzard
Instructor

I just did the mod. It looks great. However I did remove the console. I can't imagine getting the old plate without breaking it if you don't remove the console.

Also, I did not shorten the boot. I just pushed it higher on the ****.
Old 05-22-2004, 11:12 AM
Chuck W.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 355 Likes on 210 Posts

Here's a photo of mine.

Old 05-22-2004, 07:23 PM
fbfisher
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Paul, that explains how mine broke.

Cutting the boot down and pushing the **** through the outside, turning it upside down and securing it with a strap on the inside is a clean install though I didn't do it that way since I did not have the strap and wanted it on and didn't want to deal with removing it a 3rd time.

Mine looks similar to Chucks but not as baggy some how.
Old 05-22-2004, 09:26 PM
Blizzard
Instructor

I'll see if I can post a picture tomorrow.
Old 05-23-2004, 11:13 PM
fbfisher
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Max took a photo of mine today, perhaps he will post here.
Old 05-23-2004, 11:33 PM
max911
Rennlist Member

Received 129 Likes on 53 Posts

here it is:

Old 05-24-2004, 12:21 AM
Chuck W.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Fred

Looks great. I really like the way it looks and can't thank you enough for the idea and install tips.

I have to agree with Paul (Blizzard) that the console removal made the removal of the old plate and install of the new boot much easier.
Old 05-24-2004, 09:31 AM
Howdy993
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Can someone give me a part # and appx cost of the shift boot?

Also, is this available from dealers or Gert or both?

Thanks in advance.

Tippers Unite.
Old 05-24-2004, 09:54 AM
Blizzard
Instructor

Here is a picture of mine.
Attached Images  

Last edited by Blizzard; 05-24-2004 at 10:46 AM.
Old 05-24-2004, 11:14 AM
Chuck W.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Howard (Howdy993)

I bought mine at LA Porsche Dismantler. Can't remember the cost but it was reasonable.
Old 05-24-2004, 11:43 AM
fbfisher
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

I bought mine at Rennlist sponsor Ein Malig. Nice photo Max, thanks.

I'll need to reinstall mine correctly so that the end result looks like Paul's.
Old 05-24-2004, 02:12 PM
thevenet
Advanced

I realize this is slightly off topic, but have any of you guys ever seen aluminum plates available to replace the oem plastic trim? In other words simply replacing the factory trim with a newer and better looking piece.

Quick Reply: Shift Boot for a Tip DIY