993 Forum 1995-1998

New Shoes (Modified LM's) for my C2

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2016, 09:58 PM
zooming993
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 4 Posts
Default New Shoes (Modified LM's) for my C2

Well, I decided to bite the bullet and purchase a set of 19" BBS LM's. Not satisfied with stock look I broke them down and had them painted. Barrels are gloss black and the center section satin. I wanted to use OEM Porsche center caps so I had the center sectioned machined to accommodate the OEM cap.

Wheel spec's:

Front: 8.5" (ET55) Sumitomo HTR Z III 225/35-19
Rear: 10" (ET62) Sumitomo HTR Z III 265/30-19

Wheel weight w/o tires: Front 24.2 Lbs. & Rear 25.6 Lbs.
Wheel weight with tires: Front 48.2 Lbs. & Rear 52.2 Lbs.

For comparison purposes the LM's replaced a set of 18" Sport Design wheels, there spec's are:

Front: 7.5" (ET50) Sumitomo HTR Z III 225/40-18
Rear: 10" (ET65) Sumitomo HTR Z III 265/35-19

Wheel weight with tires: Front 47.6 Lbs. & Rear 54.8 Lbs.

I have a couple more things I want to do before I mount them but I took a few photos, I'm still debating if I will go with the colored crest or all black crest, leaning towards the all black, what do you think? I've also attached a couple photos of the 18" and 19" sitting side by side.
Attached Images      
Old 04-15-2016, 10:36 PM
axl911
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Colored crest!!! You need a bit of contrast on those wheels. The painted Porsche colored crest are beautiful as they are.
Old 04-15-2016, 10:43 PM
jansan946
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The painted Porsche colored crest are beautiful as they are.
What he said...
Old 04-16-2016, 12:08 AM
DiegoR
Burning Brakes

Received 19 Likes on 8 Posts
Default New Shoes (Modified LM's) for my C2

Too bad all is black...doesn't let the design of the wheel be seen like it should. At this point colored crest or not is not something thah that will make much difference. Nice wheels though
Old 04-16-2016, 12:23 AM
ginch
Rennlist Member

Received 115 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by DiegoR
Too bad all is black...doesn't let the design of the wheel be seen like it should. At this point colored crest or not is not something thah that will make much difference. Nice wheels though
Couldn't agree more! LM's are by far my most favorite wheel however I think the black color really takes away from the beauty of the wheel!
Old 04-16-2016, 04:32 AM
Spyder_Man
Drifting

At the very least I would have kept the outer lip polished and clear costed for some contrast. I don't mean to sound like a hater but I too question the black painted wheel fad as it really hides the design of the wheel (at least in photographic form).
Old 04-16-2016, 05:58 AM
Railmaster.
Three Wheelin'

Received 107 Likes on 78 Posts

Very black! But I bet they will look good on an arctic silver 993! Take some pics later out in the sun once the wheels are on the car and it will look a lot better than on those garage snaps!
Old 04-16-2016, 08:41 PM
Knight
Drifting

Received 74 Likes on 42 Posts

All black for the wheel crest, keeps it uniform.

I do agree the black hides the LM design but I also realize black wheels are hard to photograph and they look much better live too.
Old 04-16-2016, 09:53 PM
axl911
Drifting

I though BBS LMs on 993s are supposed to be GOLD!!!!
Old 04-17-2016, 05:18 AM
kjr914
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by zooming993
I'm still debating if I will go with the colored crest or all black crest, leaning towards the all black, what do you think?
Easy way to test fit this is to use PlastiDip (black and possibly the clear coat to get more shine to match your wheels). Since it peals off, no risk. I used the PlastiDip matte/satin black to match my PC'ed satin track wheels and it looks great.
Old 04-17-2016, 04:47 PM
nine9six
Banned

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Great idea!^^^ IMO, colored crest for contrast.

Seems like a waste to paint a new set of those gorgeous wheels!
Old 04-17-2016, 10:54 PM
zooming993
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks for the feedback guys but where's the love? I guess you either love um or hate um and fortunately I love um! I'm not sure what the comment means "it takes away from the design of the wheel". I agree the LM is a beautiful wheel but I don't see where I took away from the beauty, again to each his own. I agree with the comment black wheels are difficult to photograph, in the sunlight you can see the different shades of black. The main reason I decided to paint them black is they are going to be installed on a Grand Prix White C2 and I believe the two colors complement one another. With regard to painting new wheels they weren't new and no offense to silver LM owners but I don't think they look as good on white cars. I'm still debating on which center cap to go with, decisions decisions.
Old 04-18-2016, 10:13 AM
XavierLaFlamme
Rennlist Member

Received 96 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by zooming993
Thanks for the feedback guys but where's the love? I guess you either love um or hate um and fortunately I love um! I'm not sure what the comment means "it takes away from the design of the wheel". I agree the LM is a beautiful wheel but I don't see where I took away from the beauty, again to each his own. I agree with the comment black wheels are difficult to photograph, in the sunlight you can see the different shades of black. The main reason I decided to paint them black is they are going to be installed on a Grand Prix White C2 and I believe the two colors complement one another. With regard to painting new wheels they weren't new and no offense to silver LM owners but I don't think they look as good on white cars. I'm still debating on which center cap to go with, decisions decisions.
Hey man, you did it for you, right? If others don't dig it, whatever.

I didn't want to paint mine because they were brand new and the silver grew on me. I thought I wouldn't like them at all. I don't like shiny at all.

Do your thing.

--Michael
Old 04-18-2016, 03:13 PM
fivelitre
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looking good. Be sure and post pics once fitted.

My favourite LM's on a 993, Black Centres with Polished Lips...

C.
Attached Images  
Old 04-18-2016, 04:29 PM
My993C2
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Last week I placed an order for some BBS LMs. But apparently these wheels are so popular that there is a 3-4 month waiting period before BBS can get around to manufacturing new ones (at least that is what I was told as there were no rears available in stock for the size and color that I wanted). I toyed with the idea of buying different wheels. But even the different BBS (or other brands) were not cheap and I seem to like LMs more than all the others I looked at. 3-4 months may appear to be a long time to wait. But time flies. Before you know it, it will be July, I will have my new LMs to go along with some new tires (Bridgestones) and I will still have a few months to play before it is time to put the car away for it's annual winter hibernation.

PS: I am going with silver LMs. The black would hide the brake dust better than silver. But there was something about the silver LMs on my Arctic Silver 993 that screamed out to me as the right color for my car.

Quick Reply: New Shoes (Modified LM's) for my C2