Sponsored by:

Another Koni FSD/ M033 Install

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2015, 12:35 PM
JB 911
Rennlist Member

Received 95 Likes on 68 Posts
Default Another Koni FSD/ M033 Install

Adding another positive review for the Koni FSD/M033 set up for those researching suspensions.

I recently removed the Pss9’s from my car and replaced with the M033 springs and Koni FSD shocks and after +/- 1000 miles on this setup, am happy with the change.

My car came with the PSS9 and despite tinkering with that set up for almost 3 years at multiple ride heights (from RS to RS+10 to ROW sport) with more $ in alignments (at 2 different well regarded local indy shops)than the Koni /M033 kit cost, I could never get it ‘right’ to me. It did improve with each height change and alignment though. But while the Pss9’s excelled in cornering, at all the heights, zero complaints there, what was wrong was I could never completely eliminate the dartiness or tramlining effect on straight line average roads. For good to excellent roads, I didn’t have that issue. An example is if I tried to pass another car (in a legal passing area!) of an otherwise narrow winding country road – the car was not confidence inspiring.

The Pss9 were 10 years old and had appx 30k miles on them. That could have been part of it. But they had no leaks and cornered like they were on rails. I considered the Pss10 but with the many positive reviews of the Koni FSD M033 combo, I thought I’d give them a try. Plus, I was kind of tired of messing with Bilsteins

I sourced the kit from Gert (Carnewal) and it was a great experience. Great customer service and he provided excellent knowledge about what small parts I might be missing going backwards from a coilover kit to a more traditional spring damper kit. I diy'ed the install and Gert also answered a few dumb install questions (which I tried to keep to a minimum) since that is really above and beyond the job description of a parts vendor, imo.

With +/- 1000 miles on the kit, I’m happy to say the Koni FSD/ M033 combo transformed the stability problem I had, the car now feels great and inspires confidence. The cornering is also good. There is a tiny amount more lean than the PSS. I don’t dislike it as you can really feel the car load up but the PSS did keep the car flatter, longer. The one complaint I might have is they seem pretty harsh (as did the pss) at low speeds on poor to average roads. Like, do I have a flat!? harsh. But my cars not a commuter, so that’s not really a problem. The rear shocks are not height adjustable and your rear will be at ROW sport +/-127mm. I set my fronts so the car will have the correct rake at 144mm. THere's enough thread to bring the car down in the front probably about 10mm, but as nice as the car drives, I think I am going to leave it like this, well, at least for now It’s been a long ride, but my car now feels like I would imagine it would if I drove it new off the show room floor in '96; sporty, accurate, and precise. Two more thumbs up for the Koni FSD M033 combo.

EDIT: 6 months and another 1000 miles in and the low speed harshness has gone away. This suspension is just a pleasure to drive around town or out on a road trip. Happy customer.

Here’s a couple of pics.
Attached Images   

Last edited by JB 911; 05-28-2016 at 01:06 PM. Reason: update
The following users liked this post:
Kaikane40 (09-13-2021)
Old 11-24-2015, 12:57 PM
pirahna
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 642 Likes on 405 Posts

Funny, that is the exact opposite of the move I made. I installed FSD/M033's that I bought from Gert shortly after buying my 993 and was never that thrilled with them. I later changed them out for a set rebuilt Pss9's I bought off a rennlister here. I loved the feel of the PSS9's over the FSD's. Glad you were happy with the change though, they are definitely priced attractively.
Old 11-24-2015, 03:58 PM
MACH993
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

My set-up and impressions exactly. Enjoy!
Old 11-24-2015, 04:20 PM
EMBPilot
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Is your front higher than the back??
Old 11-24-2015, 04:33 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 499 Likes on 320 Posts

I had PPS-9s on my old 993 and never had an issue with tramlining/pulling. The valving on them was far from ideal for the track, but it was fine on the street.
Old 11-24-2015, 05:46 PM
JB 911
Rennlist Member

Received 95 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by pirahna
Funny, that is the exact opposite of the move I made. I installed FSD/M033's that I bought from Gert shortly after buying my 993 and was never that thrilled with them. I later changed them out for a set rebuilt Pss9's I bought off a rennlister here. I loved the feel of the PSS9's over the FSD's. Glad you were happy with the change though, they are definitely priced attractively.
Originally Posted by Mark in Baltimore
I had PPS-9s on my old 993 and never had an issue with tramlining/pulling. The valving on them was far from ideal for the track, but it was fine on the street.
I hear you guys, I'm def in the minority camp to not like the pss and trust me I tried really hard to like them. As mentioned above, on good roads, I liked them. I believe if I lived somewhere with all blacktop, I prob would have kept them.

Originally Posted by EMBPilot
Is your front higher than the back??
Front is at 144 rear 127 from factory measuring points. I believe at this set up there is a slightly larger gap between the tire/fender in the front. THe Konis have about 10mm that I could use to bring the front down, if I wanted.

Originally Posted by MACH993
My set-up and impressions exactly. Enjoy!
Old 11-24-2015, 08:32 PM
P-daddy
Rennlist Member

Received 478 Likes on 283 Posts

Nice review Jamie. Glad you found something that you like and it inspires confidence on the twisties. The car looks great btw!
Old 11-24-2015, 11:45 PM
911passion
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I think I am going to give the Koni a try... I have M033 and HDs on right now. The car feels a little floaty at times. The M033 are new, the HDs have lots of miles on them... If not conclusive, i will move to pss10. I do like the simplicity of a properly set up suspension, and with the price difference, i am tempted to go koni and use the left over $ for additional RS parts.
The following users liked this post:
Kaikane40 (09-07-2021)
Old 11-24-2015, 11:53 PM
csmab
Rennlist Member

Received 46 Likes on 24 Posts

I'm a happy camper with the M033 springs and FSD's.
Old 11-25-2015, 03:01 AM
Railmaster.
Three Wheelin'

Received 109 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by 911passion
I think I am going to give the Koni a try... I have M033 and HDs on right now. The car feels a little floaty at times. The M033 are new, the HDs have lots of miles on them... If not conclusive, i will move to pss10. I do like the simplicity of a properly set up suspension, and with the price difference, i am tempted to go koni and use the left over $ for additional RS parts.
Must not be the shocks causing the problems, may be time to renew some other components in the suspension?
Old 11-25-2015, 03:11 AM
911passion
Racer

Thanks Railmaster... Where would one start. 190k miles here. Control arms with bushings are done. Springs are new...
Old 11-25-2015, 03:27 AM
Knight
Drifting

Received 75 Likes on 43 Posts

Thanks Railmaster... Where would one start. 190k miles here. Control arms with bushings are done. Springs are new...
Front and rear bushings done?

I'd check the rear subframe mounts too. Some of your rear arms could have play in the ball joints which would require new arms.
Old 11-25-2015, 07:49 AM
95_993
Race Car

Received 565 Likes on 382 Posts

The word "floaty" combined with "the HDs have lots of miles on them" is likely where your issue is. You can have the HD's refreshed by Bilstein and have the valving optimized for use with the M033 springs for a great set-up.

I am running M033 w/ HD's and car is nicely balanced and planted for mostly spirited street driving. Also running Walrod bushings and Tarrett rear toe links.
Old 11-25-2015, 09:07 AM
911passion
Racer

Thanks. Yes, a refurbish from bilstein would be nice, and probably needed at this point. I drive my car everyday though, so with the time Bilstein would take for the rebuild, i am probably better off buying a new set and sell mine for anyone wanting to rebuild them. I have the walrod bushings on.
Old 11-25-2015, 12:23 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 499 Likes on 320 Posts

Originally Posted by JB 911
I hear you guys, I'm def in the minority camp to not like the pss and trust me I tried really hard to like them. As mentioned above, on good roads, I liked them. I believe if I lived somewhere with all blacktop, I prob would have kept them.

Understood. Not trying to debunk your experience.

I'm mulling over the Bilstein HD versus Koni versus Bilstein PSS10 quandary.

Quick Reply: Another Koni FSD/ M033 Install