Sponsored by:

993 Tire Question...

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2015, 06:01 PM
993KHTO
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 993 Tire Question...

I've searched the 993 tire threads quite a bit and I don't see much mention of P Zero. My repair shop says I need new tires--which is true. Fronts I am running 225/40 ZR18 N4 (P Zero) and rears I am running 265/35 ZR18 N4 (P Zero.) They are telling me to simply replace them with the same; however, the threads here on rennlist have me considering other options...
At the same time, I am waiting for some (used) hollow spoke twists to arrive here at my home (that I bought from another member here on rennlist.)
Thoughts?
Old 07-28-2015, 06:18 PM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 71 Likes on 58 Posts

By not having many Pirelli hits on those threads, that alone should tell you something, they are not the leader within the 993 community and hardly come up in discussion. they are way down the list.

So what you are you asking - the best tires? For what use? For what budget? Track? Steet?

If you read the numerous threads, you already know the thread on the cost effective tires and the top performers. That has not changed for quite a while.

Cheers,

Mike
Old 07-28-2015, 06:28 PM
nile13
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 95 Likes on 61 Posts

You don't see many PZero mentions because it an expensive and fairly crappy tire. But it's odd that you've searched and have not found it as a couple of fans were extolling its virtues within the last week.

I, personally, refuse to give any tire advise unless clear needs and wants fro a tire are listed. Dry, wet, street, track, autocross, comfort, noise, etc etc, etc. What's important to you? Otherwise I strongly recommend black round tires, the fresher, the better.

In other words, I completely repeated what Mike J said above.

PS. The sizes you've listed would be correct setup for a 993, so that's a good start.
Old 07-28-2015, 06:31 PM
993KHTO
Racer

Default My bad....

Yes, the lack of Pirelli here gave me reason for concern, and the manner in which this shop is pushing them on me gave me reason for concern as well. That said, I didn't mind them too much this last time on my car... Which brings me to answer your question (which I should have posted in the first place!)--Just looking for street use, not track. My 993 has an enormous amount of sentimental value to me (for many significant reasons) and it is the one thing I rarely limit myself to a budget. And I won't be limited to a budget on these tires. I don't abuse the car by any means, but I do like to drive it, and push it now and then. And I only drive it on dry roads (unless I get caught in the rain, which has happened.) It gets winterized and garaged offsite about an average of 5 months per year. This last year was 6+ unfortunately...
Old 07-28-2015, 06:57 PM
nile13
Addict
Rennlist Member

See if Bridgestone RE-71R is available in your sizes. Alternately, see Dunlop ZII Star Spec, BFG Rival, Toyo R1R, Hankook RS-3 and Yokohama AD08. That is if you want really and truly great street tires,

If you want to pay for weird and scary snowman-like cartoon creature throwing tires and wiper blades at cartoon cars of anorexic cartoon people on your TV, look at Michelin PSS. If you want to pay for masturbation material on your mechanic's walls that is Pirelli calendar... well, you know where to look.
Old 07-28-2015, 07:29 PM
NYC993
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

I have Bridgestone S-04 that imo is a great street tire that I used on track as well (beginner group). It works very well in wet and is well constructed. 2 years on crappy roads and they haven't failed.

I even had a flat that I didn't realize I had (low profile sidewalls are very hard), which led to rear tire blow out. At the time, I wasn't sure what happened and kept driving for another 15 min at a reasonalble pace but I did slow down as something felt a bit off. When I finally pulled over and got out, I saw flat tire. When I took the wheel off, the entire inside sidewall was ripped all around. However, the tire was held together with inside cords and remained on the wheel such that even the wheel wasn't damaged.

Having said that, several 993ers use sumi III and like them. For the price you can't beat them for a street driven car. I'm tempted to try them next time for street.
Old 07-28-2015, 07:34 PM
NYC993
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by nile13
See if Bridgestone RE-71R is available in your sizes. Alternately, see Dunlop ZII Star Spec, BFG Rival, Toyo R1R, Hankook RS-3 and Yokohama AD08. That is if you want really and truly great street tires,
Aren't those a bit aggressive for street-only car?
Old 07-28-2015, 08:06 PM
nile13
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by NYC993
Aren't those a bit aggressive for street-only car?
Not in my opinion, no. But that's also subjective, of course.

I'm on Z1 StarSpecs on my car now, previous set was R1Rs. Occasional autoX by my GF, but basically a street car in Boston where road are... well, see Foxman's post for a good example.

Edit. I see you are in NYC/NJ, so you know the roads well enough
Old 07-28-2015, 08:59 PM
NC TRACKRAT
Rennlist Member

Received 464 Likes on 290 Posts

Sure, you can spend more money but, IMHO, for an all-round street tire, wet or dry, Hankook V12 EVO's are hard to beat. Excellent handling and tread life.
Old 07-28-2015, 09:08 PM
Ron
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have Bridgestone S-04 that imo is a great street tire
Agree 100%. Did not realize how bad two other sets of wheels were.

I should mention put in Pss10 at same time installed new tires.

993hto is your car an S?
Old 07-28-2015, 09:13 PM
fatmike
Three Wheelin'

Received 425 Likes on 267 Posts

I had the PZero's on a previous Porsche. They were the loudest, hardest, slickest tire that I've ever owned. I swore them off for life.

If price is no object, I'd start my search with the Michelin PS2 or the Pilot Super Sports.

I am running the Continental DW which I like a lot and will probably replace when worn. The DWs are a summer performance tire (maybe not at the elite level of some of those other tires mentioned), but they excel at being quiet, communicative and wearing reasonably slow.

/
Old 07-28-2015, 10:06 PM
993KHTO
Racer

Originally Posted by Ron
Agree 100%. Did not realize how bad two other sets of wheels were.

I should mention put in Pss10 at same time installed new tires.

993hto is your car an S?
C4 Cab + aero kit. (With a solid 20% of my Nokia speakers working...!)
Old 07-28-2015, 10:42 PM
993KHTO
Racer

I might just wait for these hollow spokes to arrive and give a set of PS2s a try.
Old 07-28-2015, 10:51 PM
gristle101
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

PS2s will meet all of your expectations, except maybe wear. Currently running 8k miles PS2s on the rear and ~16k miles Pzeros on the front. I normally don't mismatch but the tires wear so unevenly on this car I couldn't justify changing the fronts and I did NOT want new Pzeros. I am going to 4 Conti DWs only in the hopes of greater life. PS2s were incredible otherwise.
Old 07-28-2015, 11:03 PM
nile13
Addict
Rennlist Member

What was "incredible" about the PS2s, especially given that they were run with a different set of front tires? Please elaborate.

Quick Reply: 993 Tire Question...