993 > 964 > 997 > 996
No way, dude.
Old 06-05-2015, 11:57 AM
pirahna
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 642 Likes on 405 Posts

Originally Posted by RJT
Wow.... there sure are a lot of horses asses on the 993 Forum now days. What happened to the guys that used to be here in the good old days when I hung out here daily when we had our 993's and even after we no longer had them? HOLY COW! Were are the guys who cared about me when I got "sick"? I think had that happened now, you'd probably be saying, so what, who cares..... I'm glad I just check in sporadically because most of you would give me an ulcer if I participated like I used too. You guys were a lot kinder to folks that are 'sort of' new here.
Of the 4 993's we owned, 2 of them were TIP's because that is what I am most comfortable driving. Honestly I wish I wasn't such a dork when it comes to manual transmissions because both those TIPS were..... well.... not very advanced feeling (They always felt heavy). I totally get and understand the need to move on to something a little newer and automatic when you have difficulty driving a manual. We are at that point now in my family too. Robert has a condition and it has become very difficult to push in a clutch. After 19 Porsche's we are having to sell our current 997S and say good by to Porsche's as it is probably the last Porsche we will own. Those of you who actually know us, know how much we love Porsches. Heaven forbid if we ever bought anything other than a 993, and told you about it. I used to be able to do that here, but I've been watching what has been happening to the crowd here over the past couple of years or so. When did this place become 6 Speed or Pelican? Slinging poop just makes you stink.

I agree, a 997 is not even sort of a 993, but seriously? Could you not just have said Congrats and moved on?

Lighten up guys. One day YOU may not be able to own a manual or a 993 anymore. Who will you be able to tear apart and make fun of then?

Let the stupid biotich comments fly..... because I know I am not, as do the guys I used to know on this board. Now it appears it's just a bunch of little boys and bullies.
Hey Joanne,

The OP has a history on the 993 and the 996 forum as a bit of a comedian. Some people might take him seriously but most of us see him for the comic relief that he creates with threads about rolex's and banana republic chino's or trading his 996 for a 993 straight across. Life is more fun with a little humor in it.

Hope you and Robert are doing well!

-J
Old 06-05-2015, 12:08 PM
993Mpls
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Congrats on the new car, John! Let's see pictures!
Old 06-05-2015, 01:37 PM
RodKnock
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

"997.1 vs. 993 - will prices meet in the middle?"
Old 06-05-2015, 02:15 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 80 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by pirahna
Hey Joanne,

The OP has a history on the 993 and the 996 forum as a bit of a comedian. Some people might take him seriously but most of us see him for the comic relief that he creates with threads about rolex's and banana republic chino's or trading his 996 for a 993 straight across. Life is more fun with a little humor in it.

Hope you and Robert are doing well!

-J
This also had absolutely nothing to do with anyone needing or wanting to buy an automatic vs a manual. It did, however, have everything to do with Johnny Irish's penchant for putting all Porsche models that start with the number 9 on the same value level.
Old 06-05-2015, 02:55 PM
rlsammax
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bottom line

993......356sc

Have them both. The best of both worlds (last of the 356 body.....last of the air-cooled)

Ralph
Old 06-05-2015, 04:20 PM
johnireland
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Hello all...

Boy some of you get as tense as a hooker with a cold sore.

Going by feel...my 996 reminded me of my 964...the 997 reminds me of my 993.

+ for the 993...simplicity (relatively)
+ for the 997...technology (relatively)

tiptronic vs pdk
PDK is the best yet...but is it too complicated...time and miles will tell.
Tip is not as quick...but is has a long history of development and reliability.
Manual...more art than technology...I've just lost that magic touch.

Price wise 993 and 997 (when priced realistically) are on par.

996 prices are firming up nicely...based on what the dealer is paying me for mine.

I'll drop by now and then just to see if some of you are taking your meds.
Old 06-05-2015, 05:04 PM
nile13
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 95 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by RJT
Let the stupid biotich comments fly..... because I know I am not, as do the guys I used to know on this board. Now it appears it's just a bunch of little boys and bullies.
Mom, there will be no bad comments about what you've said. And, honestly, most of the old guard is still here, though more quiet than before.

In this particular case, every comment about the OP is well justified, you just have to know the history a bit to appreciate it. And the history is so reach and so deeply rooted in genuine dounchebaggery that it quickly brings the very quintessence of "Porsche owner" stereotype from the mid-80s to the forefront, every single detail of it.

So the comments here are not mean spirited, it's a mix of sighs, eyes rolling and trying to outdo each other in some resemblance of sarcasm (not 12-year old toilet jokes). If you'd like, the historic examples will be provided from your reading pleasure. If you put on shades, your eye wouldn't burn much, I promise, and entertainment value is well worth the little retina damage.

In any event, great to see you on 993 forum and in good spirits, Mom, as always. We have honestly missed you. Both you and Robert.

PS. As mentioned above, _none_ of this is about Tip. Absolutely, 100% none of it.
Old 06-05-2015, 05:43 PM
RodKnock
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by johnireland
Hello all...

Boy some of you get as tense as a hooker with a cold sore.

Going by feel...my 996 reminded me of my 964...the 997 reminds me of my 993.

+ for the 993...simplicity (relatively)
+ for the 997...technology (relatively)

tiptronic vs pdk
PDK is the best yet...but is it too complicated...time and miles will tell.
Tip is not as quick...but is has a long history of development and reliability.
Manual...more art than technology...I've just lost that magic touch.

Price wise 993 and 997 (when priced realistically) are on par.

996 prices are firming up nicely...based on what the dealer is paying me for mine.

I'll drop by now and then just to see if some of you are taking your meds.
Two questions. How much will the dealer charge for an oil change on your 997? $350 more or less? And is the dealer's barista cuter for the 997 owners than for the 996 owners?
Old 06-05-2015, 05:51 PM
eeterp
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Congratulations John. I think the 997 suits you well and I hope it brings you many miles of enjoyment. I will pray to the IMS god that yours doesn't go
Old 06-05-2015, 06:56 PM
Pel
Pro

Enjoy the humour from this guy, 993 users have lost their way and started behaving like 14 year olds. Correct, the 996 is not a 993, prices reflect that, 996 GT3 is not a 993, prices reflect that. 993's having a higher value than 996's does not mean its a better car either, it's a more desirable car however.

Users entertaining this discussion are publicly showing low intelligence. Instead chosing to bottom out and create your own 993, 964, 997, 996 "pecking order" in your own community. Seriously who sits at home dreams this stuff up.

I was looking for a 996 over a 993 & 997, was not a long term own and I like the shape, however after watching the commmunty on the 996 forums I decided against it and went with a 996tt instead, the IMS issue is blown way outta proportion, if your worried get it replaced, at the age of the 993 some of you have, or will be heading into rebuild territory, this cost is far more than replacement IMS obviously.

The 993 doesn't suit the needs of some owners, doesn't suit me at present, I sold my 964 as it wasn't raw enough, in having a 930 along with the 996tt I get the best of both worlds.

993 owners cling to "it's the last air cooled Porsche" putting themselves on a pedestal, if they are that great they wouldn't be obtainable to the masses, last time I checked they were still cheap to buy....

Im sure I will have a 993 at some point, they have pretty a rear end, perhaps then I will see what all the fuss is about.

Last edited by Pel; 06-05-2015 at 07:36 PM.
Old 06-05-2015, 08:19 PM
Donster
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Old 06-05-2015, 08:52 PM
Mr.Woolery
Burning Brakes

Received 143 Likes on 76 Posts

I like pie
Old 06-05-2015, 10:05 PM
johnireland
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Pix with seller's permission...the 03 996 interior is much better, cleaner and classier...otherwise I'm impressed with the tiptronic and the steering is much lighter on this 997. And on the awful Los Angeles streets the adjustable suspension does help. This weekend I'll go up to Muholland Drive for a full shake down.

[IMG]https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlist.com-vbulletin/640x480/80-f
Old 06-05-2015, 10:34 PM
eeterp
Racer

Originally Posted by Pel
Enjoy the humour from this guy, 993 users have lost their way and started behaving like 14 year olds. Correct, the 996 is not a 993, prices reflect that, 996 GT3 is not a 993, prices reflect that. 993's having a higher value than 996's does not mean its a better car either, it's a more desirable car however.

Users entertaining this discussion are publicly showing low intelligence. Instead chosing to bottom out and create your own 993, 964, 997, 996 "pecking order" in your own community. Seriously who sits at home dreams this stuff up.

I was looking for a 996 over a 993 & 997, was not a long term own and I like the shape, however after watching the commmunty on the 996 forums I decided against it and went with a 996tt instead, the IMS issue is blown way outta proportion, if your worried get it replaced, at the age of the 993 some of you have, or will be heading into rebuild territory, this cost is far more than replacement IMS obviously.

The 993 doesn't suit the needs of some owners, doesn't suit me at present, I sold my 964 as it wasn't raw enough, in having a 930 along with the 996tt I get the best of both worlds.

993 owners cling to "it's the last air cooled Porsche" putting themselves on a pedestal, if they are that great they wouldn't be obtainable to the masses, last time I checked they were still cheap to buy....

Im sure I will have a 993 at some point, they have pretty a rear end, perhaps then I will see what all the fuss is about.

Quick Reply: Bought a 993...sort of.