Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

New RL "outpost" established in Central Oregon (Bend, OR)

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2015, 01:47 AM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 77 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by The Brewmeister
Now this is my kind of place! Is Mt. Hood in one of your mountain pics?
Place looks nice Ed, Enjoy!
The pic you probably refer to is Mt. Jefferson, #2 in height compared to Mt. Hood. Stunning look, from our dining room. You'd love the beer here Alan.

Originally Posted by il pirata
Congratulations on the move.

BTW if you ever need a new paddleboard there is a guy name Gerry who lives there who makes great boards of all sorts.
Got my 11' 6" monster hanging on the wall- I hope it lasts a while!

Originally Posted by nathan1
Welcome to the PNW Ed! Lots of great Porsche people here, reach out if you need anything. Just a heads up if you haven't learned this yet, the OSP patrols Hwy 97 like Gestapo's. In California they only pop you for being above the flow off traffic. Not in Oregon! On 97 the limit is 55 and they will pop you for 6-7 over (don't ask how I know...) especially south of Bend. Believe it or not they are well trained to use rolling instant on radar and use X-band so if you have a detector and get a short blip of X, hammer the brakes they will light you up next. I drive that route a lot and have learned the hard way. Otherwise great scenery, roads and beers!
My V1 saved us three times on the way up, 2 of those in Sunriver and when we rolled into Bend. Radar and laser.

One of the hardest things I have to do is train myself not to go 65 when I get on 97. The locals here are schooling me on where to play and where not to play.

Originally Posted by Eric in SD
Well, speaking for the San Diego Rennlisters, this town will be a little less interesting without Ed around. Who is going to rally the troops to charge Palomar Mountain at the crack of dawn? Or show us how to drop the motor in a 993? We will miss you Ed. But our loss is the PNW's gain. I look forward to keeping up with your exploits on this board. Enjoy the brews, fresh air and endless mountain roads in Bend!
Thanks Eric, the SD crowd is fantastic, can't replace that here, although we're meeting some folks now.
Old 04-12-2015, 02:54 AM
pegdrag
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Ed,

Glad to have you in Oregon. I'm south of you in Medford, but pass through Bend frequently. I was just there last weekend and the weekend before that.

Agree on the radar/laser. I zoomed down from Seattle last week and was fine from the Gorge south to Redmond no radar, but from Redmond south there were lots. Once you get further south towards the cutoff to Crater Lake and Medford the police presence decreases, but 6 over does indeed get you a ticket.

Great, great place to live and tons of good roads, indeed.

Very active PCA chapter in Medford, not sure about Bend.
Old 04-12-2015, 10:46 AM
Cactus
Noodle Jr.
Rennlist Member

Received 207 Likes on 133 Posts

That's a great view! Sounds like a cool town with 28 breweries. How are the winters?
Old 04-12-2015, 10:49 AM
PecosBill
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Cactus
How are the winters?

Freaking cold!
Old 04-12-2015, 11:45 AM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by pegdrag
Ed,

Glad to have you in Oregon. I'm south of you in Medford, but pass through Bend frequently. I was just there last weekend and the weekend before that.

Agree on the radar/laser. I zoomed down from Seattle last week and was fine from the Gorge south to Redmond no radar, but from Redmond south there were lots. Once you get further south towards the cutoff to Crater Lake and Medford the police presence decreases, but 6 over does indeed get you a ticket.

Great, great place to live and tons of good roads, indeed.

Very active PCA chapter in Medford, not sure about Bend.
Thanks! High Desert Region is pretty active-we actually went to the 15th anniv dinner last night, had a good time.

Originally Posted by Cactus
That's a great view! Sounds like a cool town with 28 breweries. How are the winters?
A mixed bag. Some precip both frozen and liquid, but the Cascades are are a defense against a lot of moisture. This is considered high desert. Mornings are definitely cold, but days can be a mixed bag. Since we've been here, we have seen 77F temps and a bit of snow!
Old 04-12-2015, 02:05 PM
nine9six
Banned

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Lots of great biking and hiking trails, falls, not to mention artsy crafty. Go visit Sisters, if you have a chance; the wife will love it!
The cold is dry cold, compared to coastal areas. It snows in Bend from time to time.
Old 04-12-2015, 02:26 PM
PecosBill
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by nine9six
Lots of great biking and hiking trails, falls, not to mention artsy crafty. Go visit Sisters, if you have a chance; the wife will love it!
The cold is dry cold, compared to coastal areas. It snows in Bend from time to time.
Sisters is a cool little town. Black Butte Ranch isn't too far off from there, and that is worth a visit as well... which means you are an Hwy 20. Take that down to 22 to Salem, and that's a nice little drive, as long as there isn't much traffic.
Old 04-12-2015, 04:48 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

I made the drive over the "hill" to Eugene the other day. Spectacular transitions from High Desert to Mountains to Rain Forest to river valley. Found a bottle of Balvenie 14yo Carribbean Rum Cask age scotch there too. Even BevMo hasn't had that for a year!
Old 04-12-2015, 04:49 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Oh, the cold here is indeed definitely different. Low humidity make a huge diff.
Old 04-12-2015, 06:26 PM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by Ed Hughes
I made the drive over the "hill" to Eugene the other day. Spectacular transitions from High Desert to Mountains to Rain Forest to river valley. Found a bottle of Balvenie 14yo Carribbean Rum Cask age scotch there too. Even BevMo hasn't had that for a year!
When the weather gets better, take the McKenzie Pass Highway to Eugene from Sisters..
Old 04-12-2015, 06:33 PM
SeanR
Rennlist Member

Received 498 Likes on 266 Posts

Place looks great Ed. Congrats.
Old 04-12-2015, 07:04 PM
curve lover
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Ed-- Will be good to see you, Deb, & Sapphire again & have friends in Bend
Previous owner of Bend's Carrera Motors / Club Carrera has happy Porsche stories of the area.

He's got an Emory Special. ...Might make for a fun road trip to McMinnville's Emory Motorsports.

Another of his 356s:

Old 04-12-2015, 07:49 PM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by curve lover
Might make for a fun road trip to McMinnville's Emory Motorsports
Rod spends almost all of his time now at his Lancaster CA location and is rarely in OR anymore.
Old 04-12-2015, 08:21 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

The past owner of Carrera Motors passed away this last week, I heard last night.
Old 04-12-2015, 09:30 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

FINALLY-got to take a real drive today for the first time in about 2 or 3 months.
Attached Images   

Quick Reply: New RL "outpost" established in Central Oregon (Bend, OR)