Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Cactus method?
Old 03-30-2015, 03:18 AM
dufftime
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MartinC2S
Cactus method?
Teeter-totter method first published by user Cactus: https://rennlist.com/forums/993-foru...p-a-993-a.html

To OP: I don't think you need the front off the ground for any of that work, but at least it's more level. If you're doing upper valve cover gaskets, might as well do the plug wires (and vice-versa).

If you're going to do valve covers, get this 5mm stubby hex socket. It will be the best $15 you'll ever spend... a total life saver: http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/item....roup_ID=674791
Old 04-09-2015, 02:49 PM
davesnothere
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Well gang,

I told you that patience would be required for this thread and I was not lying!

So far, I've removed the blower assembly and airbox, and replaced the distributor caps and rotors. Others have covered these procedures very well, with the following threads/links being particularly helpful:

http://www.pcarworkshop.com/index.php/993_-_Fuel_Filter (for explaining how to remove the engine-side half of the airbox)
https://rennlist.com/forums/993-foru...butor-cap.html (for Alex's helpful photo - does he have another kind? - and the reassurance that I just needed a bit more "oomph" to get the wires off)

A few pics:

A dirty engine bay - time to get to work!

Rotors! Don't worry, I a) labeled the caps beforehand so they would go back on the correct rotor, and b) checked for any free play at this point which would indicate a broken dizzy belt

New distributor cap

Old cap - fair amount of oxidation

Old and new rotors

Originally Posted by dufftime
If you're going to do valve covers, get this 5mm stubby hex socket. It will be the best $15 you'll ever spend... a total life saver: https://store.snapon.com/Hex-Stubby-...m-P631233.aspx
Thanks - ordered!

Hopefully not as long until the next update!
Old 04-09-2015, 05:05 PM
TRINITONY
Rennlist Member

Received 319 Likes on 258 Posts

Originally Posted by davesnothere
Not much to update over the last two weeks. I prepped my garage space, got my big box o' parts from Pelican, and did finally manage to the get the car on jack stands. Here's proof (ignore the bad curb rash on the wheels):

I had attempted to raise the car some years back (when I first got the stands), and ran into trouble when the floor jack I have didn't get the back end up high enough. I followed the "Catcus method" this time, but I was still short by half an inch or so. I lowered the car onto blocks, then put a pad under the jack and raised it again, this time with plenty of clearance. Raising the front end didn't require nearly as much lift height, so that was no issue. In all likelihood, I will buy a new jack before it's time to put the car down, as the blocks worked but I wouldn't be comfortable doing it that way regularly.

So now it's time to get to work. I'll take a few "before" pics before I start cleaning and replacing stuff. Next step will probably be to remove the airbox and blower motor assembly, and start to loosen the bolts to remove the mufflers and rear bumper.

Thanks for all the encouragement thus far. It's good motivation knowing that you guys are out there following my progress and waiting for updates. With two kids under 4yo in the house, my "car time" comes in tiny chunks, so you'll need a fair dose of patience to follow this thread, but hang in there!

And, since bcameron59 asked: car is a 97 C2 with 88k miles, largely stock.
I GOT NEWS FOR U! You will have less and less time the older they get. Between sports, social, and homework, you will have -x time. Enjoy you car while they're young, thrust me....
Old 04-18-2015, 04:47 PM
davesnothere
Rennlist Member

Default Still poking along, hit first (minor) snags...

I'm making slow but steady progress, having removed the old belts without stripping the fan hub screws.

I went to swap out my plugs, got the forward-most plug in the upper-left bank out ... and discovered I ordered the wrong spark plugs (somehow I ordered the 2-electrode turbo plugs instead of the 3-electrode NA plugs). So those will need to be exchanged. I moved on to swapping the fuel filter... and discovered my flare nut wrenches weren't large enough. So those have been ordered.

In the meantime, I'm cleaning up the engine bay, swapping the pollen filters, and installing some front and rear hood shocks I had lying around.

So far I've kept the swearing to a minimum. Hoping to pick up the pace, because as much as I'm enjoying wrenching on the car, I'm looking forward to having the car on the road again!
Old 04-18-2015, 05:05 PM
EMBPilot
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

What size line wrenches did u end up needing for fuel filter?
Old 04-21-2015, 12:13 PM
davesnothere
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by EMBPilot
Haven't changed it yet, but looks like 19mm for the near side and 17mm for the far side. The writeup on pcarworkshop indicates the same.

Last night, I got the muffler off on the left side, so I finally have access to all left side plugs once the correct plugs get here. Luckily the bolts came loose with just penetrating oil; I'll be replacing those with new when I go to re-install.

Muffler off - plugs exposed!

I also replaced my hood struts. I think this job is easier with the cabin filter covers and filters removed. A long narrow screwdriver helps to release the clamp around the socket cup end, and then you can lever the strut free with just hand force.

When re-installing the cabin filter covers, this can be a bit fiddly, but the trick is to seat the tab on the inside back of the cover first, a few pictures:

Seat this part of the housing (yellow arrow):

...into this slot between the ductwork (red arrow):

Next up, replacing the decklid struts, removing the right muffler, then time to start putting parts on the car instead of taking them off!
Old 04-21-2015, 01:26 PM
Cactus
Noodle Jr.
Rennlist Member

Received 232 Likes on 148 Posts

Fun!
Old 04-21-2015, 03:00 PM
bruce7
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts
Default Changing the fuel filter

Originally Posted by EMBPilot
Here is a checklist I wrote up just for this item:

https://rennlist.com/forums/993-foru...el-filter.html

-bruce
Old 04-21-2015, 03:03 PM
EMBPilot
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

thanks guys!
Old 04-21-2015, 11:10 PM
simpsoap
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Looks like it's coming along. Enjoy the fun

-Soap
Old 04-22-2015, 09:11 AM
ble2011
Drifting

Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts

Enjoying this thread. Keep on posting.
Old 04-22-2015, 02:21 PM
PelicanParts.com
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 35 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by davesnothere
Not much to update over the last two weeks. I prepped my garage space, got my big box o' parts from Pelican,
Whoo-hoo!

Good luck with your project! We're always here if you need any help with the DIY.

-Luccia
888.280.7799 | 6am - 5pm PST
Old 04-22-2015, 04:53 PM
pp000830
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,554 Likes on 1,097 Posts

If the gaskets are not leaking no need to replace them.
Old 04-22-2015, 07:03 PM
davesnothere
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by pp000830
If the gaskets are not leaking no need to replace them.
Yeah, so far everything has looked dry or what I would consider "manageable", i.e. not worth stripping things down further. There is a bit of weeping between the case and the timing housing (not between the chain housing and cover), but that would be a full engine-out disassemble, and not only is that not in my skillset right now, it's not in my budget either.

So basically I'm sticking to the first part of my TODO list, with the addition of the hood/decklid struts which I forgot I had lying around.

Quick Reply: Major Service DIY - my belated 10 year anniversary present