993 Forum 1995-1998

Rothsport

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2015, 12:15 PM
Holger3.2
Rennlist Member

Received 303 Likes on 167 Posts

Guys a serious question:
Why should i put a valve in a system that, in general, doesn't need one*, or has a very minor effect when on the other hand something unexpected stupid but possible happened with it, It would create the risk of blowing the engine?

*) as proven by thousands of other 911, still running without one
Old 01-29-2015, 12:23 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 77 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by Holger3.2
Guys a serious question:
Why should i put a valve in a system that, in general, doesn't need one*, or has a very minor effect when on the other hand something unexpected stupid but possible happened with it, It would create the risk of blowing the engine?

*) as proven by thousands of other 911, still running without one
Don't sweat it. Some get smoke on start-up and are bugged by it. Most aren't.
Old 01-29-2015, 12:45 PM
trophy
Race Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Some vehicles spit alot more smoke than others, especially those with rebuilt engines that use after-market pistons and ring packages. Most of the engines I have seen over the years that use JE or other designs tend to blow quite a bit of smoke if they have sat for a while.

When ever you burn anything but an air/fuel mixture in the combustion chamber like oil there is increased likelihood of carbon build up on the pistons and head surfaces reducing combustion efficiencies. For me I would like to make sure that all that is burnt in the cylinders is clean air and as clean fuel as I can find.

Also if there is a large amount of seepage the car can be alot harder to start from cold as you also have to heat then ignite the oil in the cylinder.

Lastly, thinking out loud here and have never seen it nor heard of it. There could be a possibility of hydrolock, the compressed volume of a cylinder is quite small (roughly 55cc) lf you have more 55 cc of oil in there or more then try to start the car you run the chance of engine damage. Now this is highly unlikely with most members vehicles but could happen.
Old 01-29-2015, 01:25 PM
nine9six
Banned

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Holger3.2
Another question ...
is this valve relevant at all?

my 3.2 is sitting in his garage since 30 years and gets a run-out every 4 to 7 month when i'm back in Germany. In short, open Garage - disconnect cetek - turn key - run it for 1 to 2 weeks - service when adequate - back in the garage - connect cetek - rest for 4 to 7 month. repeat next year ... worked all the time

at first run smokes a little ones in a while for a minute ... no harm

again, such valve ... what for ?!

seems to be the same waste of money like ceramic coating spray for exhaust and mufflers
Holger,
I'm happy you are thinking about this and your questions are very valid.

My only point was at the Rothsport price point, it was nothing less than a grab your ankles for our simplistic solution aftermarket check valve fellas. I pointed out a viable alternative exists, for a might less schtanging.

CCPCoatings produced and posted test data (albeit somewhat lacking in procedure and parameter definition) on their spray on ceramic coating product, and from what I could tell, looked very good as a heat barrier. However, they are not selling us exhaust systems with the option of ceramic coating for 2 bills.
Other vendors that offer a different spray on ceramic coating for $200; did not. Draw your own conclusions.

If you follow my logic that not all products produce the same results, we'd all be using any/every oil on the market, with the same results.

Segway into yet another oil thread
Old 01-30-2015, 02:57 PM
jdistefa
Rennlist Member

Received 447 Likes on 243 Posts

Originally Posted by nine9six
Holger,
I'm happy you are thinking about this and your questions are very valid.

My only point was at the Rothsport price point, it was nothing less than a grab your ankles for our simplistic solution aftermarket check valve fellas. I pointed out a viable alternative exists, for a might less schtanging.

CCPCoatings produced and posted test data (albeit somewhat lacking in procedure and parameter definition) on their spray on ceramic coating product, and from what I could tell, looked very good as a heat barrier. However, they are not selling us exhaust systems with the option of ceramic coating for 2 bills.
Other vendors that offer a different spray on ceramic coating for $200; did not. Draw your own conclusions.

If you follow my logic that not all products produce the same results, we'd all be using any/every oil on the market, with the same results.

Segway into yet another oil thread
The fantastic thing is that if you don't like the price... YOU don't have to buy them.
Old 01-30-2015, 08:07 PM
nine9six
Banned

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by jdistefa
The fantastic thing is that if you don't like the price... YOU don't have to buy them.
Duhhh...I dont?

Gee Matt, that was a terrific addition to the, if you don't like the price, there are much more cost effective alternatives.

Thank you for your insight; otherwise that thought would have completely escaped me.

I'm gonna order a dozen and send them out as gifts!

Whats your address? I owe you one!

I don't think life is absurd. I think we are all here for a huge purpose. I think we shrink from the immensity of the purpose we are here for.
Nice quote...Does it hold any meaning for you; or did you just think the words sounded good? BTW, there is an unnecessary preposition at the end of the quote (for). Send a note to Norman, will ya?
Old 01-31-2015, 12:05 PM
AOW162435
Seared
Rennlist Member

Received 407 Likes on 229 Posts

Originally Posted by NYC993
What's the point of these valves? Does 993 really smoke on start-up after sitting for long time?
The one & only time that my Dung Beetle smoked was September 12, 2005. The PO started it for me shortly before I embarked on a 3,200-mile drive home. Since then I've done all of my own maintenance and have never again noticed smoke at startup.

I take my time when changing the oil and never overfill. The car has now covered more than 33,000 miles under my ownership and is as rock solid and dead reliable as ever.

Andreas
Old 01-31-2015, 01:45 PM
jdistefa
Rennlist Member

Received 447 Likes on 243 Posts

Duhhh...I dont?

Gee Matt, that was a terrific addition to the, if you don't like the price, there are much more cost effective alternatives.

Thank you for your insight; otherwise that thought would have completely escaped me.

I'm gonna order a dozen and send them out as gifts!

Whats your address? I owe you one!

Nice quote...Does it hold any meaning for you; or did you just think the words sounded good? BTW, there is an unnecessary preposition at the end of the quote (for). Send a note to Norman, will ya?
Charming per usual.
Old 01-31-2015, 03:28 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 496 Likes on 320 Posts

nine9six,

I received your nice PM, and I might respond either in this thread or privately. However, I respectfully suggest that you go back and re-read what I wrote, for the answers to your questions lie in my posts, or they can be easily inferred with simple logic and deduction. I hope you can maintain objectivity as you go through this thread.

Stick a fork in me.
For someone who is done with a thread, you sure do like to keep on coming back.

Last edited by Mark in Baltimore; 01-31-2015 at 04:32 PM.
Old 01-31-2015, 04:19 PM
il pirata
Banned

Received 166 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark in Baltimore
nine9six,

I received your nice PM, and I might respond either in this thread or privately. However, I respectfully suggest that you to go back and re-read what I wrote, for the answers to your questions lie in my posts or they can be easily inferred with simple logic and deduction. I hope you can maintain objectivity as you go through this thread.
For someone who is done with a thread, you sure do like to keep on coming back.
He is, or just was in rehab from surgery (from one thread I was following) and apologized in another thread several days ago and it appears that Bonster deleted some posts that he made (from another thread that I was following).

Were discussing a little used up to $300 part…wow.
Old 01-31-2015, 05:59 PM
KaiB
Banned

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by jdistefa
Charming per usual.
Seems to be the Kibort of the 993 forum.
Old 01-31-2015, 06:06 PM
Cupcar
Rennlist Member

Received 95 Likes on 63 Posts

IMHO, in doing a little "R&D" to make yourself a valve, if the pressure pump cavitates due to a supply restriction by your R&D project that could evolve to a catastrophe costing more than $299.

Everything I have bought so far from Gamroth has been perfect and that has a price.

Quick Reply: Rothsport