Problem here - Gearbox/ Shifter Issue - Opinions

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2014, 05:35 AM
JimOz
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Problem here - Gearbox/ Shifter Issue - Opinions

Hi Guys

Took my car for a wash today after the guys finished cleaning it got into the car and tried to engage 1st gear but could not get any lateral movement with the shifter. Lever will shift backwards and forwards in 3rd & 4th gears, clutch was done couple of years ago when engine was out to fix oil leaks. Car has only 69,000km on clock (42,000 miles).

My advice is that something has let go inside the box and engine and g/box need to come out. G50 boxes are meant to bullet proof are they not? But the diagnosis seems logical.

They say things come in threes, had immobilser issue earlier in the year then had some turkey drive a golf ball into my windscreen, now this!!!!
Old 09-30-2014, 05:53 AM
mongrelcat
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hopefully it's just an issue with the linkage...

https://rennlist.com/forums/993-foru...weirdness.html
Old 09-30-2014, 07:05 PM
Top-Gun
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Get the car up and disconnect the linkage from the transmission shift shaft (one bolt). Have someone hold the clutch in and try to get all the gears by hand acting directly on the shift shaft. If you can get to all gears then its linkage related. If you can't then its unfortunately internal.

If that's the case, the first thing I'd suspect is the shift spindle. This is the shaft that the reversing lever(which moves the shift rods/forks) rotates/slides on. Its a shaft with necked down diameters on both ends, they can shear right where they neck down (highest stress area).

I had a problem where I couldn't get over to R/1/2, opened it up and this shaft was broken. The upside is Guard Transmission offers an upgraded (stronger) piece and its quite reasonably priced (about half what the Porsche part is). Gearbox has to come out though.
Old 10-01-2014, 03:34 AM
JimOz
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good news.

After putting the car on the hoist turns out that the protector plate received a knock jamming the shifter. happy days!!!

Quick Reply: Problem here - Gearbox/ Shifter Issue - Opinions