993 Forum 1995-1998

Before & After ~ Summer Transformation

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2014, 06:26 AM
Halcyon
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking Before & After ~ Summer Transformation

As some of you might remember, I picked up a super high mileage C2S in April. I flew from socal to norcal on the night that I found this unloved beauty and rescued it from the dealer's lot(incidentally located close to my home in norcal). It was a sad sight when it was covered in swirl mark and sitting at Cayenne height. I couldn't tend to it as I had to get back to work in socal for two months before I can redress it properly. In that two months, I shopped around for it, so right when I get home in norcal, it could transform immediately.

When I got home in June, new shoes, new dress ready

But before I begin on the C2S, as I drove from socal to norcal with my aventurine green c2, the engine mount failed me. At first I couldn't figure out where all the oil on my rear bumper was from after the 400miles drive up. It turns out the culprit is the engine mount afterall. Wasn't planning on that, but I guess that just gives me a chance to put some RS motor mount on it

Oil was leaking out of the mount and the bolt was like bent O_O The RS mount was a decent upgrade I thought/felt, the back seemed a little more planted as some of us have said before.

After the C2 was done. Now back to cleaning this C2S up....

first order of business. Engine tray OFF I was like so much oil and gravel on the engine tray... I'm sure she's very happy that I took all that off of her and let her breath finally

Now that the engine tray is out, I can now put the whole car on the trusty ESCO jackstands. If anyone is looking for jackstands, not saying you can't use the cheap normal U-shaped top ones, but I felt incredibly safe under these. With the car up in the air, it's time to treat the limo-symptom. When I first drove the car before I looked under, I was sure I was riding on some Lincoln air suspension or something. 160k miles sure has soften up the ride. Bilstein HD + MO30 fixed that all up. Lowered to RS+10mm ish. In the beginning, it was scraping a bit, but after alignment and letting the suspension settle. Wow, what a difference, no more floating. Even more solid compared to my C2's HD+MO33.

It was my first time doing any hands on mod to any car. A little struggle here and there but overall it went smoothly thanks to the massive amount of information and guides like p-car.com

Looking at the calipers, they looked tired. So I decided to freshen it up with G2 Caliper paint and some new decal. With a black ext and grey int, I wanted to brighten it up and stand out from the crowd, so I decided on acid green calipers. But then, just as I was about to paint it green, I was like waita minute, if I was going to make it pop. I might as well make a bigger change. Grey interior wasn't really speaking to me, and I thought since it is a high mileage car that I can actually drive around so I wanted to transform it to something I like. So... here's what i did.

RAAAWR .... RIPPPP ... AAARGGH ... (anyone who have experienced za german carpet glue can probably relate)

hours later.... AAARRRGHHH RAWRARAARW ... late into the night

FINALLY! all out ...

out with the old and in with the new

after the carpet, I stared at the interior for a while.... hmmm, still too much grey...

I asked myself, I wanted to stand out right. I already altered it so its not factory carpet anymore anyway. Might as well do more so how about red?

two weeks of work. and tada ! Just made it in time for Porsche Parades in Monterey. For the experience, I even entered it in concours. The judges probably had a good laugh OR prob think I'm wasting their time, but either way, it was a good feeling to have when I could present my own work at a world class Porsche event

I even had the honor to follow our fellow RLer's Ben and Jaeger's Speeeedster at Laguna Seca It's actually rather funny as I barely knew how to drive a manual just a week before then, and there I was, on the world famous Laguna Seca track going through the legendary corkscrew. Thankfully, I didn't stall haha or else that'd be awkward and embarrassing.

At last, I gave a few final touches to the front. I got rid of the american birthmark ( bumperette delete), filled the cut out myself and left the painting to the pros. Clear corners and turbo S duct completes the front.
and here it is.

She's been through a lot, but I think she likes it. Whaddya think?

Old 08-18-2014, 07:18 AM
smq42
Racer

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Wow! Amazing results.

More shots of the interior please. I have a C2S also with a "tired" interior and was contemplating some new carpeting. Where did you get the new interior? Is it still possible to get new 993 OEM interior bits from Porsche or do you have to go aftermarket? Rough idea of cost? Thx!
Old 08-18-2014, 08:26 AM
ble2011
Drifting

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

Very impressive. Doesn't look tired anymore!
Old 08-18-2014, 08:30 AM
jg291446
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Great story! Wow I love the last picture!
Old 08-18-2014, 08:31 AM
EMBPilot
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

WOW
i was really expecting some lame *** thread about a guy who polished his car with a new orbital buffer and put up pictures. you did an amazing job! what a tremendous effort and amount of work, you went to town!

the car looks 1000 times better the interior looks awesome

its time for you to get a garage lift
Old 08-18-2014, 09:05 AM
Eurotrio
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 11 Posts

Awesome job.
Old 08-18-2014, 09:31 AM
swmic

Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts

Wow, that was a lot of work! Looks great!
Old 08-18-2014, 09:33 AM
nr1416
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Awesome post, and great job. Any more pics of the interior? I love black on Red in just about any car.
Old 08-18-2014, 09:43 AM
Pags993
Drifting

Received 136 Likes on 67 Posts

WOW! simply amazing, I wish I had both the time and talent to pull that off. The pic of you chasing the 2 speedsters is stunning.
Old 08-18-2014, 10:01 AM
NESTO
Track Day

Crazy all in your drive way at that ! Great story I'm inspired
Old 08-18-2014, 10:24 AM
Magdaddy
Rennlist Member

Received 244 Likes on 185 Posts

love red interiors...what shade is that Boxster? Spectacular restoration. You are my new hero, Marvel should make a comic about you!
Old 08-18-2014, 10:28 AM
phoneyman
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Great write up and results.

PS. I feel the same way about the esco stands. First time ive felt really confident. Used to use those **** NAPA store ones and surprised im still alive.
Old 08-18-2014, 10:32 AM
pirahna
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 574 Likes on 363 Posts

Love that red interior! Great job.
Old 08-18-2014, 11:01 AM
Tony_KB
Advanced

Great Story ! what wheels are those ? RH ? Speedlines ?
Old 08-18-2014, 11:06 AM
luckyJ
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

where in Cali are you?...when can I drop my car off?...

incredible!...for a 1st timer, that's some serious DIY!

Quick Reply: Before & After ~ Summer Transformation