Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Elephant Racing's X-Brace(993)

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2014, 02:03 PM
hkspwrsche
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I think the PP bar is a copy of my RUF bar, correct? Or similar?
Old 09-30-2014, 02:21 PM
AOW162435
Seared
Rennlist Member

Received 407 Likes on 229 Posts

Originally Posted by hkspwrsche
I think the PP bar is a copy of my RUF bar, correct? Or similar?
Correct, it's a copy of the early RUF bar. I installed one many years ago and was pleased with the results.

Andreas
Old 09-30-2014, 02:27 PM
nine9six
Banned

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by pp000830
I like the install, however for my street car I have been reluctant to tie the two sides of the car together. In the event of a front 1/4 crash the brace will transmit force to the other side of the car potentially increasing the extent of any damage.
I understand the concern, but we do these things to our cars in an attempt for more precise handling; not to lessen the potential damage in the event of an accident. Using this logic, we should all probably remove our existing strut tower braces as well, right?

maybe its just me, but the use of a sheetmetal screw in the front doesn't seem like its ideal for stiffness.
What would prevent someone from using machined bolts, washers and locknuts on the backside, as opposed to what appears to be self tapping sheetmetal screws? Perhaps this area is inaccessible, so the STSMS was the only remaining logical fastener choice?

Is there a huge difference between this brace and the RUF strut tower brace that I have that is not an "X" or is mine 9/10ths of the increased rigidity just connecting across the strut towers?
Any additional ridigity to reduce flex in the front end, and stabilize the area around the suspension, so it can perform its intended function, is an added plus. I would imagine the additional ridigity provided by the X-brace, is siginificantly more stout, than the 1/10 th as suggested by the quoted comment. Just because it came from Ruf, does not mean its the best application; look at their beautiful, but boat anchor like wheels for a case in point.
Alois Ruf, says their heft assists with straight line stability. Baaaaaahaaaaahaahaaaaaaaaaa!

Last edited by nine9six; 09-30-2014 at 02:53 PM.
Old 09-30-2014, 02:58 PM
race911
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by k722070
my description of 'noticeable' and 'maybe even substantial' are based on friday's test and tune track day running without and with the x-brace.
I already had a strut brace installed so I left that part in place for my testing.
I'll disagree with ken here, I think installing a bolt on strut brace or a bolt in das roll bar can be noticed right away.
I was busy between sessions so when I got out with the x-brace installed I'd forgotten about it and my first thought was that my alignment had somehow changed.
the noticeable difference was on turn in especially in one tight corner. it felt like front toe had gone from zero to maybe 1 or 2 mm toe out.
and if I just muscled the car into the corner because I turned in early or late the front tires scrubbed badly. this makes me think that the stiffer front amplified my mistakes.
the maybe even substantial difference is my best lap was 1.2 seconds better than last spring on this track configuration, same car, same tires, same driver.
I'm not saying all that time was due to the x-brace, some guys came out in june to compete in time trials and just running against them improved my driving.
that is why I qualified with 'maybe even substantial' rather than substantial.
worth the money? for me yes, I have no idea for others. I wouldn't bother buying one for my street car but I did bother buying a perfect power strut brace for my street car.
I'm more a "drive what you brung" competitor. Always have been. Just never felt it mattered in the big picture.

I've got a message out to my cousin from the torsion bar brace project--I think he still has the data. Gist is that it was on my '73S, a car I traded off holding lap records with Hank Watts (should still be a known name) in the GGR Time Trial series from '98-'01.

My own data, in the early days of acquistion, on the stock class RS America club racer was with a DL1. Have the files on the old laptop I can go find. Held the lap records out here from '01-'03, albeit with minimal competition. But I could run ahead of the quickest of the Spec911s of the day on equal tires (would barely be top 10 now, with that arms race).
Old 10-01-2014, 09:22 AM
pcarrera993
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I dont track (at least no yet) but this mod looks tempting. Would have to swap out existing strut bar.
Old 10-01-2014, 10:07 AM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,371 Likes on 794 Posts

Originally Posted by pcarrera993
I dont track (at least no yet) but this mod looks tempting. Would have to swap out existing strut bar.
at $580 for this, unless you have a pretty well modded car, there are likely better things to put that money toward.
Old 10-01-2014, 02:03 PM
pcarrera993
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Oliver the car is pretty well modded for street and light track..but you're right, the cost and for the amount of driving I actually put in it makes zero sense at this time. I don't mind a tight suspension, already used to the semi/hard setup and intrigued with idea of extra rigid front end. I think engine/trans mounts are next.

Quick Reply: Elephant Racing's X-Brace(993)