993 Forum 1995-1998

PSS-10 Rear install

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2014, 11:40 AM
porsche_fan
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Post PSS-10 Rear install

I am attempting to install a set of rear PSS-10s.

I am little unsure of what I am doing and any help would be greatly appreciated.

My understanding is that if the car is going to be lowered to RS ride height, the sway bar should be set up below the control arm. My intention was to set the ride height lower than stock but above RS ride height. With that in mind, I attempted to set the sway bar above the control arm (original set up). The clearance around various parts still looks a bit tight so I guess my questions are:

1. Should I just move the sway bar to below the control arm, even if I do not plan on lowering the car to RS ride height? Is that just what should be done with PSS10s?

2. Can I keep this set up but get shorter drop links to move the sway up a little higher?

3. Any other suggestions or input?

As always, thanks very much for the help.
Attached Images     
Old 08-04-2014, 12:02 PM
Spyder_Man
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

It's hard to see in the photos, but is there more thread on the strut to spin the drop link mount into a higher position?
Old 08-04-2014, 01:05 PM
OverBoosted28
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

You can also make these adj. drop links yourself.

ATTACH]858795[/ATTACH]
Attached Images  
Old 08-04-2014, 01:35 PM
porsche_fan
Advanced

SpyderMan - Yes, I could adjust the drop link bracket a bit higher -- I have couple of threads left.

Overboosted28 - can you share how you made those drop links? They look really good.
Old 08-04-2014, 01:40 PM
Holger3.2
Rennlist Member

Received 303 Likes on 167 Posts

So long as you can keep about +3mm space between anti roll bar / drop link and control arm it's ok. The movement of both parts will always be parallel, so know worries about harm here.

On the side, it is always a good idea to have the drop link mount fixed from below too. Any movement is then mostly impossible.
Old 08-04-2014, 02:55 PM
k722070
Three Wheelin'

Received 73 Likes on 46 Posts

sway bar above or below the control arm depends on the sway bar.
I can't tell but your picture looks like a non rs type bar curved to go above the control arm, if that is the case you won't be able to mount it below.
the bilstein drop link should be short enough to work, if not you could make one
as suggested, or tarett would sell you one.

car in the air is as close as your bar will get to the control arm, so that finger width is more than enough.
jack up the suspension and you will see how much space you have when the car is on the ground and suspension is loaded.

one of the pictures shows a mark on the a-arm and then a finger between bar and a-arm.
that looks way too close but I'm not sure what would cause that.

when setting the collars are you using the numbers from the instructions?
I think the rear collar max height is 210mm and your picture looks much higher.
the drop link collar measurement is 175mm and will work for sway bar above or below control arm.
Old 08-04-2014, 03:30 PM
porsche_fan
Advanced

thank you all; this is very helpful.

k722070 - to make sure I haven't pushed the collars too high, the measurement from the top of the rear spring collar to the bottom of the strut should not exceed 210mm? from the top of the drop link bracket collar to the bottom of the strut should not exceed 175mm -- is that correct?
Old 08-04-2014, 04:35 PM
k722070
Three Wheelin'

Received 73 Likes on 46 Posts

the instruction diagram shows measurement as top of collar to center of hole the toe control arm goes through. diagrams are on the last pages of the little paper booklet that comes with the pss10s.
if you set the height adjustment collars at 210 that should be right under ROW sport, or about 125.
Old 08-04-2014, 08:52 PM
OverBoosted28
Rennlist Member

Really easy. I ordered two 3/8" RH male & two 3/8" RH female chromoly heim joints, two 3/8" jam nuts & eight 3/8" cone spacers from "speedwaymotors" (no affiliation). I got the grade 8 bolts, lock washers, & nuts from local hardware. Under 40 bucks total. Should be pretty much like this. No preload, level fore/aft straight up and down when car is sitting on suspension.

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 453
Size:  169.7 KB
Old 08-05-2014, 04:02 AM
911PERVY
Banned

Received 223 Likes on 183 Posts

I would definatly drop the Bilstein supplied link and go for aftermarket of some sort, the Bilstein ones are cheap crap
Old 08-05-2014, 10:17 AM
Eurotrio
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 11 Posts

I recently installed PSS10, so feel comfortable to chime in. When planning foe a ride of 10mm above RS, follow the instructions which include measurement of lower collar to attach sway bar link. Yes, as mentioned above, the clearance is small, however it is proper and functional.
Old 08-05-2014, 12:26 PM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 66 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by porsche_fan

My understanding is that if the car is going to be lowered to RS ride height, the sway bar should be set up below the control arm. My intention was to set the ride height lower than stock but above RS ride height. With that in mind, I attempted to set the sway bar above the control arm (original set up). The clearance around various parts still looks a bit tight so I guess my questions are:

1. Should I just move the sway bar to below the control arm, even if I do not plan on lowering the car to RS ride height? Is that just what should be done with PSS10s?

2. Can I keep this set up but get shorter drop links to move the sway up a little higher?

3. Any other suggestions or input?

As always, thanks very much for the help.
I am just setting up an PSS10 suspension on a 993 C4 so I am where you are - the sway bar, with the supplied drop links from Bilstein, goes above the toe control arm. It goes below the control arm if you are using RS sway bars - which you are not using.

My starting measurement from the bottom of the threads to the bottom of the drop link mount is approximately 21mm - ie. 21 mm of thread exposed.

From the picture, it appears your mount is quite a bit higher than that. You need about a finger or a bit less of clearance between the sway bar arm and the toe control arm.

if the mount is too high, you cannot lower the car as much - and it may make it harder to approach the RS height you want. You can always move the locking ring for the drop link mount to the bottom of the mount, that gives a bit more clearance for dropping the spring mount to get the car lower.

There may be a bit of iteration involved.

Cheers,

Mike
Old 08-07-2014, 05:03 PM
porsche_fan
Advanced

Thanks everyone for the input. I will be tackling this project this weekend; with the advice here I think I can wrap it up.

Overboosted28 - thanks for parts list -- I am going to look into making those droplinks.
Old 08-07-2014, 07:19 PM
OverBoosted28
Rennlist Member

This is from speedwaymotors. Pretty much all you'd need that ya can't get from a hardware store.

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 341
Size:  134.2 KB
Old 08-08-2014, 10:57 PM
porsche_fan
Advanced

Overboosted - thanks a lot for the parts list. I just placed the order at speedwaymotors.

Quick Reply: PSS-10 Rear install