Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Jackal
Here you go, some photos of my M003 RS.

Old 07-30-2014, 10:58 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 80 Likes on 54 Posts

Wow, I've somehow missed this thread.

Your site has provided me with hours of reading, particularly your road trips. This project looks to be the makings of a fantastic car.
Old 07-31-2014, 10:47 AM
clubsport1
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Interesting cage in the black car, I appreciate the Australian cars didn't come with the correct Matter welded in cage.

Was that cage fitted by the local Porsche distributor or is it bespoke, specified by the owner?

Just wondered as it is nothing like the "RS M003" spec Matter original.
Cheers.
Old 07-31-2014, 10:47 AM
jackal2513
Racer

very nice

Black is great ... there are two UK rhd in black. One has cargraphic gold rims and looks superb as well.
Old 07-31-2014, 11:14 AM
Simonoz
Track Day

The cage is very strong, built to CAMS specs for tarmac rallies. Must have the harness bar separate to the roll hoop to avoid a repeat of the Freeth Rally Australia crash. Its the second cage in the car, as the rules were changed. The Matter cages werent complied here. Its virtually impossible to road register a car with a welded in cage here, so that may also have been an influence at the time, but Porsche got around that one somehow.
Old 07-31-2014, 11:17 AM
jackal2513
Racer

Originally Posted by Simonoz
The cage is very strong, built to CAMS specs for tarmac rallies. Must have the harness bar separate to the roll hoop to avoid a repeat of the Freeth Rally Australia crash.

Yep, it looks substantially superior to the "RS M003" spec Matter original.
Old 07-31-2014, 01:15 PM
clubsport1
Burning Brakes

Thanks for the explanation, that makes sense, thankfully they don't care so much about cages in the Uk, mine came from the factory with 2 x 6 point harnesses (no seatbelts!) and I have never had an issue with the annual MOT "safety" check.

When you say, "Porsche got round that one somehow" with respect to fitting a cage..They didn't, did they?

I understood the Australian M003 cars came into the country without a cage and were then supplied with a Porsche dealer fit bolt in affair to try to replicate or distinguish the car from the M002 variant.

I can only imagine the regulations with respect to the type of cage fitted have become more stringent over the last 20 odd years, hence the meccano type fixtures seen in the back of some GT3 cars!
Old 07-31-2014, 07:45 PM
Simonoz
Track Day

Originally Posted by clubsport1
I understood the Australian M003 cars came into the country without a cage and were then supplied with a Porsche dealer fit bolt in affair to try to replicate or distinguish the car from the M002 variant.
No, thats not right. The M003 cars were brought here for competition purposes, and sold to owners who would use them for that reason. The cage issue was purely about compliance. It was necessary to have the cages fabricated here as mentioned before.
Several RS M002 cars were retrofitted with Club Sport wings, and welded in cages, and they then went racing or rallying.
The M003 cars were Australia's Cup cars in effect, as the Carrera Cup series cars weren't available here.
The Jim Richards RS M003 in its heyday, winning the Chamionship.

The Geoff Morgan M003 of the time.

The Peter Fitzgerald M003. Mr Fitzgerald being the main tuner of these models, then and now.

The M002 I used to own, which was converted with CS wings, and which was tarmac rallied and club raced.

The Fitzgerald car at the recent Rennsport meeting in NSW. Road registered and for sale at the time.

My M003 in the previous owners warpaint.
Old 07-31-2014, 08:22 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 80 Likes on 54 Posts

Great pics Simonoz, thanks for posting.
Old 08-01-2014, 04:13 AM
clubsport1
Burning Brakes

Simonoz, Great photos, thanks for sharing..

I am slightly confused with your response though,

Quote:
Originally Posted by clubsport1 View Post

No, thats not right. The M003 cars were brought here for competition purposes, and sold to owners who would use them for that reason. The cage issue was purely about compliance. It was necessary to have the cages fabricated here as mentioned before.
Several RS M002 cars were retrofitted with Club Sport wings, and welded in cages, and they then went racing or rallying.

Then on post 88 of this thread you state;

Jackal
Love your project.
Ive got a black Australian delivered M003 and, having found your site so very useful over the years, would like to offer my assistance with your project by way of information and photos, so if ever you need to reference anything please just ask.
Our M003's were fitted with locally built cages, as the Matter of the time didn't comply with rules here, so I cant help you in that regard, but something else might pop up.
Regards
Simonoz

From previous conversations about Australian M003 cars over the last 15 years it was previous made clear the reason for the cages.

Enjoy your car!
Old 08-01-2014, 06:11 AM
Simonoz
Track Day

Not sure why your confused, but perhaps it is because you think the cages installed in Australian M003's were bolted in. They were not. They were welded, so that they complied with CAMS racing rules.
There was no effort made to replicate or distinguish them from M002 cars. You could also get a welded in cage put in a M002, but I cant find evidence yet of that happening.
Old 08-01-2014, 06:15 AM
Simonoz
Track Day

Hit the send button in error, apologies.
To finish, I mean evidence by way of photographic other than anecdotal.
I havent been looking at Rennlist for fifteen years, but what I have seen is a bit of misinformation that could and should be tidied up so heres my small contribution. Hope it helps, and yes Im enjoying my car. How could one not?
Old 08-15-2014, 07:20 AM
jackal2513
Racer

Originally Posted by clubsport1
Simonoz, Great photos, thanks for sharing..

I am slightly confused with your response though,

Quote:
Originally Posted by clubsport1 View Post

Then on post 88 of this thread you state;

Jackal
Love your project.
Ive got a black Australian delivered M003 and, having found your site so very useful over the years, would like to offer my assistance with your project by way of information and photos, so if ever you need to reference anything please just ask.
Our M003's were fitted with locally built cages, as the Matter of the time didn't comply with rules here, so I cant help you in that regard, but something else might pop up.
Regards
Simonoz

From previous conversations about Australian M003 cars over the last 15 years it was previous made clear the reason for the cages.

Enjoy your car!

Oh my .... Give me strength !
Old 08-15-2014, 07:24 AM
jackal2513
Racer

Fab pics Simon. Loving the yellow/blue colours.

P.S. Ignore the poorly disguised negativity/badgering from others. Not even worth rising to in the future.
Old 08-15-2014, 07:45 AM
clubsport1
Burning Brakes

Jackal, strength for what?

It appears the cages fitted later were for local compliance, some bolt in, some welded to suit the needs of the user.

As you are slowly learning about lightweight Porsche and factory variants, you can appreciate things are not as well documented as hoped a mere 20 (ish) years after they were built.

Anyway, the reason we are here, any updates on your build, hope it's progressing?

What's next once it is back with a cage fitted?

Quick Reply: project M003