Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Getting TPC Supercharger Installed

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2014, 05:41 PM
Ducks964
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It took me easily 40 hours plus, but I had a lot of "while I am in there, I may as well powdercoat that and change that seal, etc." If I were to install another one, it would take me closer to 28 hours. I know a lot more now.
Old 03-28-2014, 02:56 PM
mr_bock
Three Wheelin'

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

Gridlock61,
Congrats on your decision to get the SC. I don't think you will be disappointed.
I don't remember if I asked about the condition of the clutch. That might be a 'while you are in there' item.

Good luck!!!!! I know the wait is a killer.
Old 03-28-2014, 03:08 PM
axl911
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by mr_bock
Gridlock61,
Congrats on your decision to get the SC. I don't think you will be disappointed.
I don't remember if I asked about the condition of the clutch. That might be a 'while you are in there' item.

Good luck!!!!! I know the wait is a killer.
Good point on the 'while you are there' items. Make sure you have new plugs, dist cap & rotors, distributor belts, and sparkplug wires if necessary.

The SC depends on everything in good working order, especially the ignition components.

When the dist belt failed on my 964, the engine pinged at high rpm. This would be very bad if a supercharger was installed.
Old 04-06-2014, 03:20 PM
kyle951
Instructor

Gridlock... Congrats on getting the TPC-SC kit for your 993 cab. I have the TPC kit with intercooler on my 95 993 cab and after having the car for just over a year, I can tell you it is a blast to drive on a daily basis. The linear power the SC gives you along with every day drivability is a hard combination to beat.
I currently have my car listed for sale and if I am able to get the price that I want out of the car, then my next project will be TPC's Twin Turbo kit on a 997 car. In my opinion they build great kits for the Porsche cars with a proven track record of success to back them up. For what you pay for the kit, plus a good quality install, it is well worth the money for the added power you get out of the cars.
Old 04-06-2014, 10:31 PM
lopro
Banned

op post some pics of the 318Ti, I used to have that car and its really under rated in the BMW world because of the smushed look trunk, I loved my old 318Ti. great little car and very nice to have the hatchback as a daily. I miss that little bugger but I sure didn't have a super charger. Id love to see what you did with that little thing.

best of luck on the sc 993.
Old 04-07-2014, 10:45 AM
gridlock61
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by kyle951
Gridlock... Congrats on getting the TPC-SC kit for your 993 cab. I have the TPC kit with intercooler on my 95 993 cab and after having the car for just over a year, I can tell you it is a blast to drive on a daily basis. The linear power the SC gives you along with every day drivability is a hard combination to beat.
I currently have my car listed for sale and if I am able to get the price that I want out of the car, then my next project will be TPC's Twin Turbo kit on a 997 car. In my opinion they build great kits for the Porsche cars with a proven track record of success to back them up. For what you pay for the kit, plus a good quality install, it is well worth the money for the added power you get out of the cars.
Thanks; I'm certainly hoping (and hopeful!) that the kit will really be worthwhile. I'm not getting the intercooler due to the added cost and complication, but don't think I need it due to how it will be driven (e.g. not on track and not into boost that often). Are you selling your 993 with the TPC kit installed, or did you remove it? Are you selling just to focus more on your 997?
Old 04-07-2014, 11:35 AM
gridlock61
Racer

Originally Posted by lopro
op post some pics of the 318Ti, I used to have that car and its really under rated in the BMW world because of the smushed look trunk, I loved my old 318Ti. great little car and very nice to have the hatchback as a daily. I miss that little bugger but I sure didn't have a super charger. Id love to see what you did with that little thing.

best of luck on the sc 993.
Hmmm, Unfortunately I'm not sure I have any pictures anymore of that car. I actually had two of them: a '96, and then a '99, which was one of the last ones brought into the U.S. I know what you mean about the smushed look; friends used to ask me where the rest of the car was! It was a great car, though made much better by the supercharger. In stock form, that car with it's little 4-cylinder engine was quite underpowered, but really came alive with the supercharger. The kit was also very reliable needing only two new tensioner pulleys in over 120,000 miles. Unfortunately once when the tensioner wheel disintegrated it left me stranded, but it was my fault as would have noticed it start to go if I had been paying more attention to it.

Anyhow, I'm really looking forward to the kit on the 993; if it is anywhere near as transformative as it was on my 318ti, I think I'll be in heaven!
Old 05-05-2014, 11:51 PM
madskillzcustom
3rd Gear

Having problems with my tpc supercharger unichip car ran before i installed it now it will not run ? what went wrong? Went over the digram over and over made sure the wires 10 times wont start.
Old 05-07-2014, 07:09 AM
Ducks964
Racer

Can you provide more details. Will starter turn, but motor will not fire up?
Old 05-11-2014, 09:49 AM
gridlock61
Racer

Default Dropped car at TPC!

I drove down to TPC in Jessup, MD to drop off the car as they had the castings for the kit made, and the Eaton supercharger was supposedly shipped to them.

Very nice operation! They have lots of machining and work areas, their own dyno, and most importantly some really nice Porsche's being worked on when I was there! A noticed a later model GT3 and Cayman, a late 70's or early 80's 911, and several other 911 variants, including a couple of racers. I also noticed TPC's turbo system on several of these cars.

The castings and other parts for the supercharger system seem nicely made. It was great spending a little time with Tom and the boys, they seem like a nice crew.

The first step is to get baseline dyno runs, first with the installed Rennsport ECU that is installed, then with the stock ECU that needs to be put back to use with the supercharger system. Then once the system is installed, a new dyno run will be done.

Besides the kit, I'm also replacing all wear ignition components, injectors, injector stacks and gaskets, fuel filter, etc.

Hopefully I'll be able to report back in around a month or so, after the kit is installed and I have the car back in my hands! I can hardly wait!!
Old 05-11-2014, 01:05 PM
mr_bock
Three Wheelin'

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by gridlock61
Besides the kit, I'm also replacing all wear ignition components, injectors, injector stacks and gaskets, fuel filter, etc.
If your ignition system (spark plugs, ignition wires, rotors, caps) are old, make sure they are replaced along with the SC install. Tom should have suggested this already, maybe he did. Well worth doing.

Best Wishes!!!!
Old 05-12-2014, 11:57 AM
gridlock61
Racer

Originally Posted by mr_bock
If your ignition system (spark plugs, ignition wires, rotors, caps) are old, make sure they are replaced along with the SC install. Tom should have suggested this already, maybe he did. Well worth doing.

Best Wishes!!!!
Yep; as I already mentioned, all those items will be replaced. I was thinking about getting the injectors cleaned, but new ones weren't too bad price-wise, so am going that route.

Initial dyno runs will be done tomorrow. Will post results after I get them.
Old 05-13-2014, 03:39 PM
gridlock61
Racer

Default Pre-Supercharger Install Dyno Chart

Here are the dyno results prior to the supercharger installation. The red line is stock, the blue line is with the Rennsport ECU. Surprisingly, the Rennsport chip shows only a very slight gain, certainly less than expected.
Attached Images  
Old 05-13-2014, 03:54 PM
gridlock61
Racer

Interestingly, they also mentioned that they heard some detonation with the Rennsport chip at around 3500 RPM, probably due to too much ignition timing in that range, which wasn't apparent with the stock chip.
Old 05-14-2014, 12:06 AM
Ducks964
Racer

Then TPC Supercharger install with the unichip does say to use only the stock chip. The unichip is suppose to add fuel and timing under boost which is based on the base production map. I do not have the stock chip, but the only adjustment was to raise the idle RPM to help with stalling.

Quick Reply: Getting TPC Supercharger Installed