Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

It's good to be the king...

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2014, 05:07 PM
Busta Rib
Rennlist Member

Received 1,016 Likes on 380 Posts

I finally got my Bilstein HDs and M030 springs installed. It was good timing. In addition to wanting to lower the car, I started to experience some steering wobble at speed which indicated bad front control arm bushings. Sure enough, they were cracking and old so I had new Warlord control arm bushings and front/rear sway bar bushings installed. I am getting the car aligned early next week and going to wait for it to settle and see if I want to dial in some additional lowering.

While I was at it, I decided to do the LPMM treatment (https://rennlist.com/forums/993-foru...-complete.html) to my Fabspeed mufflers. They came with my car when I bought it and droned enough to inspire a change. I took the cans to Elliott Toler-Scott who does a lot of metal work on classic cars (356s, 911s, etc) in Seattle. By the way, I highly recommend Elliott if you are in need of metal work for your car. He does amazing work and his welds are impeccable. He sourced some 2" SS pipes and had at it. I wasn't sure it was going to work, but lo and behold, the bypass pipes changed the dynamics enough to get rid of the droning! Anyone that has Fabspeeds should consider this mod. Cheap and easy fix. She is pretty much dialed in for the driving season. 993Fest cannot come soon enough. Apologies for the phone pics.

Old 03-19-2014, 06:07 PM
Todynot
Burning Brakes

Received 156 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Busta Rib
I finally got my Bilstein HDs and M030 springs installed.
Mr. Rib, did you do the install yourself? If so, did you find it manageable?

I think white is a terrific color on a 993, BTW. Nice car.
Old 03-19-2014, 06:19 PM
curve lover
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Todynot

Nice car.
+1 ^^

Jim-- It keeps getting gooder n' gooder:
Even before the springs, etc., your ride rocked

Old 03-19-2014, 06:30 PM
JB 911
Rennlist Member

Received 90 Likes on 65 Posts

Looking great busta rib! Did you measure at the measuring points to see where you are at heightwise? When you were looking were some B6's more lowering friendly (more or less threads) or were they all the same?
Old 03-19-2014, 06:30 PM
Knight
Drifting

Received 74 Likes on 42 Posts

Amazing what a suspension upgrade can do!

Yep those Fabspeeds do def have such an annoying drone, I noticed it was around that 2800 rpm range. Had a set that came on my bro's 4S, we switched them out for some Fister3s pretty quick, no looking back now.

My vote, lower it down a bit more.

See you at 993Fest!
Old 03-19-2014, 06:44 PM
esses
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

cool Pegasus what size is it 3"?
Old 03-19-2014, 07:40 PM
Busta Rib
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Todynot
Mr. Rib, did you do the install yourself? If so, did you find it manageable?

I think white is a terrific color on a 993, BTW. Nice car.
Originally, I intended to do the install with a friend in December. But I moved to a condo in Jan and don't have access to my own garage, so that plan fell by the wayside. After trying to arrange for garage space, I finally threw in the towel and had someone I know do the install. He said it is fairly easy but time-consuming, particularly replacing the front bushings.

Originally Posted by curve lover
+1 ^^

Jim-- It keep getting gooder n' gooder:
Even before the springs, etc., your ride rocked
Thanks!

Originally Posted by JB 911
Looking great busta rib! Did you measure at the measuring points to see where you are at heightwise? When you were looking were some B6's more lowering friendly (more or less threads) or were they all the same?
Yes, I have the measurements. I need to look them up and will post them up later tonight for reference in case anyone else wants to do a similar install.

Originally Posted by Knight
Amazing what a suspension upgrade can do!

Yep those Fabspeeds do def have such an annoying drone, I noticed it was around that 2800 rpm range. Had a set that came on my bro's 4S, we switched them out for some Fister3s pretty quick, no looking back now.

My vote, lower it down a bit more.

See you at 993Fest!
I agree, I am shooting for another half inch lower. I want to see how much it settles before I make any more adjustments. See you in a couple months.

Originally Posted by esses
cool Pegasus what size is it 3"?
Yes, I believe it is 3" or so. Get a set of decals specific for outdoor applications. They will last longer.
Old 03-19-2014, 10:16 PM
boman993
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Badass! The gunmetal LMs look stunning on white!
Old 03-19-2014, 11:43 PM
tangram
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Dirk1370
I actually like the contrast now that you have swapped the back seats to black. I wouldn't dye anything. I would paint the sport shell backs Carrera White though. Very pretty car!
You've done a really tasteful job on your car. Love the ducktail, wheels, ride height, interior. All of it! Great to see somebody enjoying his passion like you are! Subscribed!
Old 03-20-2014, 12:23 AM
Busta Rib
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by tangram
You've done a really tasteful job on your car. Love the ducktail, wheels, ride height, interior. All of it! Great to see somebody enjoying his passion like you are! Subscribed!
Thank you. It has been fun to build it out. I have some plans for the interior this spring/summer.

For those that are curious, these are the measurements that I used to set up the perches on the car.

Front: measured from the bottom of the strut to the bottom of the spring perch = 8"
Rear: measured from the center bolt of the rear shock to the bottom of the spring perch = 7.25"

I still have some threads remaining on both front and rear shocks and might lower it more depending on how much it settles.

Last edited by Busta Rib; 03-20-2014 at 11:36 AM.
Old 03-20-2014, 02:09 AM
pburt03
Rennlist Member

Received 32 Likes on 15 Posts

Looking good Jim!
Old 03-20-2014, 09:12 AM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts

I am receiving my HD's and H&R's today. Plan to do the same. I also have a white (glacier white) C4S.
Ordered some SS brake lines to go along. The rest will remain stock for now. Will try to take pics and write a DIY if time permits.
Old 03-20-2014, 11:35 AM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts

To help everyone out, I purchased my setup from tirerack. I found their prices to be the cheapest and shipping was free. Delivery was 1 day for me, so a very quick turnaround.
I will share more details as I tackle the task.
Old 03-21-2014, 01:29 AM
BesideTheBox
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Suspension impressions

Busta Rib,

Can you compare & contrast the new and old suspensions?
Old 03-23-2014, 08:22 PM
Busta Rib
Rennlist Member

It was a beautiful day in Seattle. I took the beast out for a nice drive along the Puget Sound. I decided to lower the car an additional .5" all around and it looks much better. In case anyone is interested here are the final measurements from ground to fender:

Front: 24.75"
Rear: 25"

So to summarize, here's what was done for the suspension overhaul:

OEM sway bar bushings front and rear
Walrod control arm bushings
Bilstein B6s + M030 springs
4-wheel alignment

She handles very well and the ride is a bit firmer than before. Definitely not a luxury-car ride. A good friend of mine also gave me a nice gift recently. He was able to get a hold of three limited edition Porsche 50th Anniversary grille badges and gave me one. I decided to install it today as well. Enjoy.
Attached Images          

Last edited by Busta Rib; 06-25-2014 at 09:06 PM.

Quick Reply: It's good to be the king...