993 Forum 1995-1998

993 Cabriolet Purchase experience

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2013, 09:11 PM
Emmanuel
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 993 Cabriolet Purchase experience

I wanted to write about my experience with buying and modifying a Porsche 993 Cabriolet to drive around mostly for pleasure. Living in Los Angeles I wanted a convertible and a Porsche. I went to the Dealer and tested the new 991 convertible in S form both PDK and standard 7 Speeds. One word, an awesome car, my preference was with the manual version which is purely a personal choice. The car would only be used on weekends anyway. During the week I drive an SUV.

However, I also want to go to track meets and drive a bit on a racetrack and a convertible is not really the way to go.
So I decided to go another route, I would buy two cars, an older 993 convertible and trade my current 997 coupe for a GT3. First came the 993, a friend of mine who owns a vintage car dealer here in Southern California and who specializes in older Porsches had a nice 31,000 miles 1996 993 cab with many options and in a color I liked. After a long long test-drive, a bit of negotiation on the price, and thorough inspection, I decided I liked the car although it would need new shocks and new tires. Tires were in good condition but 10 years old and mud and snow type. The handling of the car was scary. In addition, the left door strap was defective and the door must have at some point hit the fender and shoddy repairs had been done. Since I am a perfectionist, it would have to be corrected.
I bought the car, had the fender and door repaired properly and started to look for shocks.
After reading many different threads and asking various people, I made the decision to go with PSS10 which could be adjusted and would not be too stiff for a cab. The wheels needed much attention as they needed to be repainted so I decided to buy 18” Fuchs which go well with an air-cooled Porsche. Should I get 17” or 18”? I wanted to use the new Michelin Pilot Sport, which I previously used on my 997 (19”) So I bought a set of 18” wheels hoping they would not be too stiff for my application. I am happy to report that the new wheels and tires combined with the PSS10 have completely changed the car. Beverly Hills Porsche installed the coil-overs after I had a massive failure of the power steering rack seals and had the car towed there. They did a very good job and corner balanced the car. I had them go over the whole car and change all fluids and all belts.
I am happy to report that it drives and looks like a new car, suspension is set on 3 front and 4 rear and it does not feel too firm on bad roads it feels just right and controlled. I would definitely recommend this set up for Targas as wells which are known to rattle like crazy when set too firmly.
I absolutely love the car, It’s fun to drive, has enough power (although its not super fast) Just a nicely balanced and fun to drive automobile. I also bought a nice low mileage 2010 997 GT3 which is a certified Porsche used car but this is another story.

Emmanuel
Old 05-16-2013, 09:17 PM
goofballdeluxe
Rennlist Member

Received 150 Likes on 97 Posts

Great story and write up.

Since you live in Los Angeles, there are about 100 places that are better than Beverly Hills Porsche for service for your 993. Beverly Hills Porsche is OK, but you can find places that do much better work for a much better price.

Also, you should post some photos of your 993 with the Fuchs.

Congrats on the 993. I'll bet you'll enjoy it more than any other car
Old 05-16-2013, 09:25 PM
Emmanuel
Advanced

I will, I took it there after the rack spilled oil all over my garage and they are nearby. I did not want to shop for a new rack and I figured they could get one quickly. They offered to install the shocks since the car would have to be aligned anyway. Originally, I planned to have Tony Callas install the shocks and do the service but the car was already there. I love this car, It just feels right, it's not as sharp or quick as my 997 but it is nicer inside I think, better quality materials and it has a vintage feel.

Emmanuel
Old 05-16-2013, 09:31 PM
goofballdeluxe
Rennlist Member

Received 150 Likes on 97 Posts

Tony Callas is great, but if you lived near BH Porsche that's about 30-40 miles to Callas. One of the best shops in the city for 993s is "200 N. Motorworks" on LaCienega and Pico, started by 3 former BH Porsche mechanics. Much closer than Callas and comparable quality work and less expensive.

Also one of the best suspension install/alignment/corner balance shops in the state is West End Alignment in Gardena. Far, but the best in the biz.

I'm not affiliated with either shop, just a satisfied customer of both. Plus, I don't think BH Porsche comes close to being a great shop in terms of service or price
Old 05-16-2013, 09:56 PM
pirahna
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 574 Likes on 363 Posts

Originally Posted by goofballdeluxe
One of the best shops in the city for 993s is "200 N. Motorworks" on LaCienega and Pico, started by 3 former BH Porsche mechanics. Much closer than Callas and comparable quality work and less expensive.
+993
Old 05-16-2013, 10:24 PM
pmo75
Rennlist Member

Nice story. I totally agree that the 993 conv is the ideal complement of the GT3, nice combination. I'm thinking of getting fuchs for my cab, which is black as well.
Old 05-17-2013, 01:03 AM
David A
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by goofballdeluxe
Tony Callas is great, but if you lived near BH Porsche that's about 30-40 miles to Callas. One of the best shops in the city for 993s is "200 N. Motorworks" on LaCienega and Pico, started by 3 former BH Porsche mechanics. Much closer than Callas and comparable quality work and less expensive.

Also one of the best suspension install/alignment/corner balance shops in the state is West End Alignment in Gardena. Far, but the best in the biz.

I'm not affiliated with either shop, just a satisfied customer of both. Plus, I don't think BH Porsche comes close to being a great shop in terms of service or price
+1 on http://200nmw.com I going there on Tue to drop my newly acquired 95 993 and Darin at WestEnd corner balanced and aligned my 993 on PSS9 today and it is perfect.

So when are we all going to meet and check out each others 993s? I'm in West L.A.
Old 05-17-2013, 01:44 AM
MielsOnWheels
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Welcome to 993 Cab world...a beautiful example you have there. I think a 993 Cab and 997 GT3 would be a perfect combo...my bank account would disagree however!
Old 05-17-2013, 01:44 AM
TheBen
Drifting

Received 126 Likes on 94 Posts

+1 on west end alignment
Old 05-17-2013, 01:17 PM
pp000830
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,448 Likes on 1,020 Posts

So money does buy happiness?
Old 05-17-2013, 01:39 PM
Emmanuel
Advanced

Talking

There is a French saying:
If money does not make you happy, it sure contributes!

I live on the West Side and my office is in Torrance which is exactly 15 miles door to door. I would be happy to meet you guys. I will check out the shop on Lacienega. I will try to post pictures this week end with the Fuchs.

Last edited by Emmanuel; 05-18-2013 at 10:53 AM.
Old 05-18-2013, 02:11 PM
porsita
Rennlist Member

Great story here - thanks
I can contribute by saying this, 18" is a more modern look as far as the wheels
Check the post on the Fuchs rims two days ago for opinions on that look
As pointed out by others the look is a little retro for post 89 cars, so if you choose to go that route get 18"
If your cab is a dark color I recommend the RSR finish
If its a lighter color go black
I am also toying with the idea of getting a set (in the RSR) as mine is Ocean Blue
I looked at countless pics of 993s with those rims and I have to say my 18" technology rims are thoroughly more modern looking but other than the Speedline option these are the only wheels I would consider as alternates
Please post pics of your cab before and after
Stefanos
Old 05-18-2013, 06:33 PM
Malibu101
Advanced

This post...

Quick Reply: 993 Cabriolet Purchase experience