993 Sun Roof adjustment

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2012, 06:28 AM
Neil Perry
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 993 Sun Roof adjustment

Hi
I was looking at my sun roof and noticed that the back of the sun roof is slightly lower than the roof of the car.

The front of the sun roof lines up perfectly with the roof

Can the sun roof hight be adjusted?

I have looked in the 993 Repair Manual but my manual has no section on the sun roof.

Hope someone can help..

Thanks,
Old 10-18-2012, 06:45 PM
pvdw
Instructor

Same issue here, if anyone can help?
Is this a known issue?
Old 10-18-2012, 06:48 PM
mike cap
Rennlist Member

Received 338 Likes on 237 Posts

Neil,

I have a template to check the alignment on the sunroof fit...... I'll rent it to you !!
Old 10-18-2012, 10:44 PM
Neil Perry
Racer

Hi Mike,
There is always one............................

I am getting my car ready for the Porsche NSW Concourse, so I am trying to get everything perfect, hence the sun roof question.

I have spent 7 hours to date polishing the car and only finished the plenum, the panel in front the windscreen and the bonnet.
It takes time to get it perfect.

It black, so it will only look perfect for a week, what a waist of time.

Neil
Old 10-18-2012, 11:20 PM
kjr914
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I was having some trouble getting the roof to fully close. The front started up, but the back would barely begin to lift. I could get it to close by "helping" with some GENTLE pressure on the back.

My solution was to try the easiest thing first. I wiped out the slide channel, re-greased all the slides and pivots with white lithium grease. Then it work and continues to work. Since you want it Concourse ready, the white lithium grease probably isn't the best stuff for you. Maybe try to push up a bit to get it fully to close for that event, then apply the grease sometime later when clean isn't so important.
Old 10-18-2012, 11:32 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 77 Likes on 51 Posts

Yes, height is adjustable at the rear. The sunroof sits on "runners" that hold it up in back as it slides. If you pop the internal liner off, and slide it back to reveal the bottom of the sunroof panel, you'll see the 7mm (?) nuts facing toward the center of the car on either side. One of mine had loosened up, and caused a corner to sag when the roof was shut. You can push the panel from the bottom to be level with the roof, and then tighten the nut(s) to hold it up. I'd be careful and not torque too tightly, to avoid snapping the studs. This was the fix for my sag, which was about 3/8".
Old 10-19-2012, 01:16 AM
Neil Perry
Racer

Hi Ed,
Thank you for your advise.
I will remove the inner cover and adjust the height.

You make it sound quite easy.

Thanks,
Neil
Old 10-19-2012, 08:35 AM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

It was pretty simple.
Old 10-19-2012, 09:57 AM
mike cap
Rennlist Member

Received 338 Likes on 237 Posts

Originally Posted by Neil Perry
Hi Mike,
There is always one............................

I am getting my car ready for the Porsche NSW Concourse, so I am trying to get everything perfect, hence the sun roof question.

I have spent 7 hours to date polishing the car and only finished the plenum, the panel in front the windscreen and the bonnet.
It takes time to get it perfect.

It black, so it will only look perfect for a week, what a waist of time.

Neil
Would you expect anything less from me? Good luck at the concours (sp?) event. I'm sure you'll do great with all the work you have done on your car. Post a picture of your "Best In Show" trophy.
Old 10-21-2012, 06:28 PM
Neil Perry
Racer

Hi
Found the problem with the sun roof,
there are two metal plates, one each side, on the back adjustment brackets,
that where in the wrong place.
Moved the metal plates to the correct place and some fine adjustment and all looks great.
I have to confess I had a friend from Porsche drop in on Sunday to look at the sun roof, as a few mates said don't touch the sun roof as you could make it worse or scratch the roof, plus I was unsure about the brackets, as I could not find them in the PET catalogue.
Plus I have a concourse next Sunday and I did not want to have any paint work done on the car.

Ed thanks for your advice.

Mike, 4 days of polishing and still have the drivers door, rear right quarter, the engine cover and rear bumper to do, at ;least the worst is done, front guards, bonnet and roof.
The paint looks better than new, perfect, but who would want to own a Black car........

Thanks,
Neil
Old 01-31-2015, 12:32 PM
996 GT2
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Sunroof Adjustment - Internal liner

Originally Posted by Ed Hughes
Yes, height is adjustable at the rear. The sunroof sits on "runners" that hold it up in back as it slides. If you pop the internal liner off, and slide it back to reveal the bottom of the sunroof panel, you'll see the 7mm (?) nuts facing toward the center of the car on either side. One of mine had loosened up, and caused a corner to sag when the roof was shut. You can push the panel from the bottom to be level with the roof, and then tighten the nut(s) to hold it up. I'd be careful and not torque too tightly, to avoid snapping the studs. This was the fix for my sag, which was about 3/8".
I'm having the same issues. I've already tightened up the screws holding the sunroof motor. Can anybody provide some clarification on how to "pop" the internal liner off? Are we talking about from the top of the car looking down? Or getting more aggressive with taking the headliner out? Thanks in advance.

Last edited by 996 GT2; 01-31-2015 at 12:52 PM.
Old 01-31-2015, 01:28 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

You don't touch the roof liner, it is the sunroof panel liner. It literally pops straight down and off. There are press clips that hold it in place.
Old 01-31-2015, 08:43 PM
996 GT2
Advanced

Originally Posted by Ed Hughes
You don't touch the roof liner, it is the sunroof panel liner. It literally pops straight down and off. There are press clips that hold it in place.
Thanks Ed! Worked like a charm.
Old 01-31-2015, 09:26 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 996 GT2
Thanks Ed! Worked like a charm.
Great! Gotta love simple fixes....
Old 01-31-2015, 11:51 PM
996 GT2
Advanced

However, I had a slightly different problem. The problem for me was that a screw had fallen out and a prop support had fallen down, so there wasn't anything holding up the back corner of the sunroof. Luckily, I have a magnet on a flexible pole so I was able to search around along the frame rails and lucky I found the nut that holds the screw in place. Unfortunately, the screw and washer were nowhere to be found. I ran down to the hardware store and was able to find a metric screw and washer to fit the nut. The next step was to lift the prop support back into place which raised the corner back into alignment (used a small flathead screwdriver). Then the real challenge was to figure out how to place the nut on the back side of the prop support so I could install the screw. The nut has a small bump which should face in towards the car, this helps it stay put when you install the stress. I used a screw driver with a spring clip holder so the prongs held the screw while I held the back of the nut. Don't forget to add some locktite so it doesn't back out again. Finally swivel the spring back to it's original position so it puts tension upwards on the roof.

Quick Reply: 993 Sun Roof adjustment