993 Forum 1995-1998

Becker CR-210 Aux Input for Ipod/Iphone

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2013, 06:54 PM
fbfisher
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Not sure why a person would want to keep the function of a 6 disc changer and an iPod...as suggested above the easier, quicker, cheaper and little to reverse solution is to plug RCA to 3.5mm cord into the "in" on the changer and run the wire into the cabin. Clean, cheap and works great. Did the same thing on our boat. Just don't forget to leave a disc in the changer as you only get output from the changer when its playing a disc.
Old 07-06-2013, 08:31 PM
f11
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

All this stuff about needing a CD changer so you can disable it and take input from an iPOD really bothers me... I have to buy a CDC-3 so I can load a garbage CD into it and then disable the whole shebang so I can listen to an iPOD??

There HAS to be a way to "trick" the CR-210 to believing a CDC-3 is connected and playing a CD without actually having one there. The radio must sense something about the CDC-3 to decide it can take input from the CD player: GND signal, a clock pulse (not likely, but you never know), or maybe just a specific impedance across a couple of the pins in the CDC-3 to radio connector.

Has anyone here ever done a check to see which wires in the CDC-3 connector can be removed to see what causes the radio to stop accepting CD input (other than than the input wires, obviously)? I'm thinking a custom-wired plug that fits the radio CD changer plug is all that would be needed, plus perhaps a power and ground wire. Kind of like a loop-back RS232 plug for testing communications, for you old guys out there.
Old 07-06-2013, 09:38 PM
ble2011
Drifting

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by f11
All this stuff about needing a CD changer so you can disable it and take input from an iPOD really bothers me... I have to buy a CDC-3 so I can load a garbage CD into it and then disable the whole shebang so I can listen to an iPOD??

There HAS to be a way to "trick" the CR-210 to believing a CDC-3 is connected and playing a CD without actually having one there. The radio must sense something about the CDC-3 to decide it can take input from the CD player: GND signal, a clock pulse (not likely, but you never know), or maybe just a specific impedance across a couple of the pins in the CDC-3 to radio connector.

Has anyone here ever done a check to see which wires in the CDC-3 connector can be removed to see what causes the radio to stop accepting CD input (other than than the input wires, obviously)? I'm thinking a custom-wired plug that fits the radio CD changer plug is all that would be needed, plus perhaps a power and ground wire. Kind of like a loop-back RS232 plug for testing communications, for you old guys out there.
I agree. I had an old Mercedes that had an original Becker radio. Because it had an aux input, I was able to get a iPod wire connection built through Becker North America and play it through the original radio. Completely invisible. It wasn't great sounding, but it did work just like they said. It really made people grin when I turned on the iPod tunes in that old classic.
Old 07-07-2013, 11:38 AM
quietcoolone
8th Gear

@F11,
guessing that if it was that easy it would have been done already. Apparently the CD Changer/radio talk to each other (protocol) otherwise the radio will not enter or remain in CD Changer mode if it does not detect ("talk") to the Changer and vice versa.
An easier solution is to ditch the CDR210 in favor of the CDR-220 as suggested by tcsracing1 or purchase one of these new digital Modulators suggested by others in another forum. I, like you think that buying a CD Changer just for this purpose is contra productive.
Old 07-07-2013, 12:44 PM
BesideTheBox
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Default digital modulator

The isimple digital modulator was installed by 996scott and he posted a couple of pictures here: https://rennlist.com/forums/993-foru...em-stereo.html
Old 07-07-2013, 06:52 PM
k722070
Three Wheelin'

Received 73 Likes on 46 Posts

I bought the iP-BKRCD for my cdr-210 mentioned on the first page(looks like they are sold out now, yeh rennlist!). I rarely even listen to the stereo and just as soon use the cassette slot if I had a cassette. but I have some road trips coming up so what the hey.
took all of 5 minutes to pull the unit out, replace the plug and shove stuff back in place.
ipod plugs in, charges and plays on the cd source. very simple.
the ipod cord is long enough to reach the back seat so I didn't even bother routing it any place fancy.
great add for 76 bucks shipped.
Old 07-07-2013, 11:42 PM
JB 911
Rennlist Member

Received 90 Likes on 65 Posts

Do you get better sound from the CDR 220 than the CDR 210 too?
Old 07-08-2013, 10:24 AM
JB 911
Rennlist Member

Received 90 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by k722070
I bought the iP-BKRCD for my cdr-210 mentioned on the first page(looks like they are sold out now, yeh rennlist!). I rarely even listen to the stereo and just as soon use the cassette slot if I had a cassette. but I have some road trips coming up so what the hey.
took all of 5 minutes to pull the unit out, replace the plug and shove stuff back in place.
ipod plugs in, charges and plays on the cd source. very simple.
the ipod cord is long enough to reach the back seat so I didn't even bother routing it any place fancy.
great add for 76 bucks shipped.
Looks like a great solution (if they weren't sold out!). Also, no love for the droid? Are all 993 owners I phone users? Are there no droid owners out there at all? A plug and play for the droid with charge ability would be great.

On short drives I don't use the radio much but on roadtrips I do. On my last one, I used my laptop to power my droid. Esp when using it for Nav too. A play and charge would be welcome especially it it was plug and play like above.
Old 07-10-2013, 09:10 AM
tom97c4s
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BesideTheBox
The isimple digital modulator was installed by 996scott and he posted a couple of pictures here: https://rennlist.com/forums/993-foru...em-stereo.html
I jusst ordered one from Amazon for $46. Hopefully it works well.
Old 10-27-2015, 06:56 PM
quietcoolone
8th Gear

<a href="http://www.discountcarstereo.com/AUX-BKR.html">this adapter</a> keeps the cd changer
Old 10-27-2015, 08:25 PM
Foxman
Rennlist Member

Received 492 Likes on 364 Posts

Originally Posted by quietcoolone
<a href="http://www.discountcarstereo.com/AUX-BKR.html">this adapter</a> keeps the cd changer
THat appears to be essentially the same unit noted in post 8 back in 2012. Not a bad solution for folks who have, and are willing to keep, the CD changer. But for just a few more dollars you can send the unit to Becker and they can run a hot wire right out of the back of the unit (or front if you don't mind staring at a Jack). Better direct sound, and you can keep the CD changer if you have one and play it at will without messing with any cables. And for about $20 more Becker will upgrade the software chip for wider frequency ranges.

Quick Reply: Becker CR-210 Aux Input for Ipod/Iphone