993 Forum 1995-1998

Stereo wiring question - Updated with Picts

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2012, 03:10 PM
chammond
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 1 Post
Default Stereo wiring question - Updated with Picts

I have decided to switch out my CR-1 for a new Kenwood head unit that I purchased from Crutchfield. They also supplied a wiring harness with the unit that fits into the power wiring harness perfectly.

I have the hi-fi option so there is a Nokia amp under the passenger seat. When I pulled the CR-1 out, there were 2 wiring harnesses connected to it. One was for the power, antenna and ground, the other goes to the Nokia amp.

I have searched to try to find the answer and have found bits and pieces, but haven't found anything that's complete.

I have the first harness connected for power, antenna and ground that came from Crutchfield. I have a second harness that has 6 leads coming from it. I have connected the line outs (Front L, Front R, Rear L, and Rear R) from the head unit to the connections on the harness based on the pinouts on the top of the CR-1 that feed the line inputs of the amp (pins 7,8,9 and 10).

I have 2 leads left over that need to be connected to the amp. On the top of the CR-1, there is a pin out diagram for each harness and it shows pins 5 and 6 on this harness go "to amp".

Does anyone know what these 2 leads should be connected to?

The Kenwood unit I purchased has a separate "power control wire" designed for a separate power amp so I'm assuming that lead needs to be connected to one of the 2 leads on the harness, but I'm trying to be careful and short something out.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Chris

Last edited by chammond; 02-26-2012 at 09:57 PM.
Old 02-21-2012, 03:23 PM
deekay911
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 2 Posts

A lot of people just delete the Nokia amp when fitting a decent modern day stereo, since they have as much power and hi-fidelity built-in..
Old 02-21-2012, 03:30 PM
Kika
Nordschleife Master

Received 79 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by deekay911
A lot of people just delete the Nokia amp when fitting a decent modern day stereo, since they have as much power and hi-fidelity built-in..
+1:

a. ditch the Nokia amp or
b. install a newer outboard amp.
Old 02-21-2012, 04:03 PM
911Dave
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I agree, forget the outboard amp entirely and use the speaker outputs from the Kenwood.
Old 02-21-2012, 05:02 PM
element
Pro

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

I installed a Blaupunkt Toronto BT and tried to wire through the Nokia amp - couldnt make it work, so I just ran wires down to the amp connector through the passenger footwell. Receiver has enough juice for your needs

phil.
Old 02-21-2012, 05:02 PM
ToreB
Rennlist Member

Received 376 Likes on 238 Posts

Remove the Nokia amplifier. It's crap.
The wires to the amp is low power type, and you'll have to route new speaker cables from the new head unit down under the seat where the Nokia amp is. Easiest route is through the centre console and under the carpet.
Unplug the amp, and splice the new speaker wires to the original wires going to the doors and rear shelf.
Cheers,
Tore
Old 02-21-2012, 05:19 PM
keithgreer
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

I just put in a new amp under the passenger seat. I did not have the hifi option. So, if you get a thin amp it will fit and sound great to power the Focal's in the front and some better units in the back (I used Polks)
Old 02-21-2012, 05:37 PM
chammond
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the replies everyone.

I'll use the Kenwood for power and run new speaker wire to splice in underneath the passenger seat.

Chris
Old 02-21-2012, 07:28 PM
996scott
Rennlist Member

Received 202 Likes on 123 Posts

Which kennwood did you get?
Old 02-22-2012, 12:58 AM
chammond
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 996scott
Which kennwood did you get?
I bought the Kenwood KIV-BT901. It had some great reviews and had the features I was looking for.
Old 02-23-2012, 10:29 AM
Kein_Ersatz
Rennlist Member

Received 243 Likes on 172 Posts
Default CR1 to CDR-220

So in keeping with conservation of the wiring harness I was able to fashion a convertor harness last year that didn't require and cutting of the 993 harness.

Attached are some pin outs for the harness on the 993 with Nokia AMP. You will need to work with the A-Block harness plug for power and the C-Block for the Nokia AMP. Matching plugs can be sourced on ebay and such so as not to have to cut the harness if you so desire.
Attached Images  
Old 02-23-2012, 09:06 PM
chammond
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Kein_Ersatz
So in keeping with conservation of the wiring harness I was able to fashion a convertor harness last year that didn't require and cutting of the 993 harness.

Attached are some pin outs for the harness on the 993 with Nokia AMP. You will need to work with the A-Block harness plug for power and the C-Block for the Nokia AMP. Matching plugs can be sourced on ebay and such so as not to have to cut the harness if you so desire.
Great diagram...thanks for posting. I think I'm just going to run new speaker wire from the new head unit down through the passenger footwell to where the amp is underneath the passenger seat and splice in there. Seems like a relatively easy fix.

Thanks for all the posts and help. I'll post a pict when finished.

Chris
Old 02-23-2012, 09:32 PM
element
Pro

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

Chammond - That is what i did.. i will eventually get a good connector to connect the two, right now I crimped the wires with little metal connectors i de-crimped off some other wires and everything is held together with a healthy dose of electrical tape. :P

Anyone have a part number\link for a connector that is compatible with the one that plugs into the nokia amp?

phil.
Old 02-26-2012, 09:53 PM
chammond
Rennlist Member

Default Stereo wiring question - Updated with Picts

Well I decided to get rid of the Nokia amp that is part of the Hi-Fi option and use the Kenwood entirely. Since the wiring harness is underneath the seat it took a bit of time running new speaker wire underneath the center console and splicing the new wire into to old wiring harness. After a number of beers, some torn up knuckles and more than a few expletives, I have finished the project!

Since this unit also has a bluetooth component to it for hands free calling, I ran the microphone cable through the top of the steering wheel and into the dash to hide the wiring. It sits on the left hand side of the steering wheel housing just below the gauges. I offset it as I didn't want it sitting right in front of one of the gauges. I still need to figure out a way to mount my iPhone as it now sits just below the ashtray above the center console.

The new Kenwood sounds SO much better then the original CR-1 plus it has all of the bells and whistles I was looking for (iPod, Pandora, Bluetooth, etc).

All in all it was a long process, but not difficult. Just time consuming.

Here are some pictures of the new unit in place....

Thanks for all of you who replied to this thread, it helped me get through it.

Chris
Attached Images    
Old 02-26-2012, 10:28 PM
csmab
Rennlist Member

Received 43 Likes on 22 Posts

Chris

Did you upgrade the speakers or leave them stock?

Quick Reply: Stereo wiring question - Updated with Picts