993 Forum 1995-1998

Recap of the SAI circuit

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2014, 01:28 AM
william_b_noble
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr.Woolery
I have a '96 and am interested in installing this on my car as a "preventative" measure (I'm not having any SAI issues). If anyone is willing to sell theirs, please let me know.
I would discourage you from unnecessary modifications to your car, but the circuit is pretty easy to build - it took me about 45 minutes to build up the two that I needed on FRP board
Old 12-29-2014, 05:09 PM
M Fig
Burning Brakes

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Unused

I've got one of these that I never used...if anyone needs one, let me know.

Mark
Old 02-20-2015, 03:59 PM
MrRoboto
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by M Fig
I've got one of these that I never used...if anyone needs one, let me know.

Mark
Still have it? I need it! Let me know thanks!
Old 02-28-2015, 08:03 PM
Blue TTop
Pro

Received 68 Likes on 37 Posts

I have two that I have never used. Willing to sell at cost.
Old 03-07-2015, 01:41 AM
cgjgj
4th Gear

This looks interesting. I'm curious if you need to do this before a CEL is tripped or if it can be done afterwards, clear the CEL with my OBDII code reader and then still get through emissions.
Old 03-28-2015, 05:56 PM
JensGR911
3rd Gear

Default SAI Circuit

Do you still have one of the circuits left over, I need one before the season gets here. Thanks in advance, Jens
Old 03-28-2015, 08:08 PM
william_b_noble
Burning Brakes

the circuit tricks the computer, but it didn't work on my 97, I think it will only work on 96. if it works, the CEL will go off after a few drive cycles if I understood the manual right.
Old 03-29-2015, 08:13 AM
JensGR911
3rd Gear

That would be great and I have a 96 cab - it's worth a try
Old 04-10-2015, 12:14 PM
Dils
4th Gear

Originally Posted by Blue TTop
I have two that I have never used. Willing to sell at cost.
Blue,
If you still have the circuit, I'm willing to pay cost and shipping via PayPal. Thank you!
Old 04-10-2015, 12:25 PM
M Fig
Burning Brakes

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

I sold mine to a rennlister...no longer have one.
Old 06-24-2015, 08:45 PM
Bjm12001
AutoX

Originally Posted by craig001
I just found a SAI Cleaning Kit on Pelican - http://www.pelicanparts.com/cgi-bin/...0%3C%2Fspan%3E. Yes it is $105 but has a modified 27mm crowsfoot, adapters and a coiled hose in it. Since I do not have the ability to mod a crowsfoot this makes more sense for me if I go down this road. To add to this thread, I picked up one of the units from a RLer who bought two. I never had the SEL but could not get readiness codes to set with it in after my battery died over the winter. I am being told I need to drive the car to get it set. Oh well.
Also ..............there is a DVD for the guys who want to do it the old school way! Yellow Gap Garage produced the video with the p-car.com guys showing all the techniques discussed in the above posts on how to clean out the ports.

http://www.pelicanparts.com/cgi-bin/...2539%2538%2529

Last edited by Bjm12001; 06-25-2015 at 12:32 PM. Reason: additional info
Old 06-25-2015, 02:23 PM
LAT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Good progress for those of us suffering with a CEL.

How long for a first time do it yourself vs how long for a shop to complete the procedure?
Thanks
Old 06-29-2015, 05:22 PM
Bjm12001
AutoX

It takes a whole weekend for sure but could save you several thousand depending on who's doing the work. A shop generally wants a couple of days worst case. Here are a couple of tips I learned doing the process: (full disclosure - I produced the DVD with the p-car.com guys & have done the procedure on my 96 Cab)

1 Inject the de-carbonizer (sea foam type stuff) & let sit over night
2 Blow pressurized air in both directions (need a air handle with a hooked tip like in DVD to force air from underneath car)
3 Go to the hardware store & get (5) rubber stoppers & hand make the aluminum straps to plug the (5) cylinder exhaust ports to allow max. air flow thru only one cylinder at a time
4 Use an assortment of pick tools (guitar string, piano wire, etc....wire that is strong/flexible)
5 Use the kit that Pelican/yellowcapgarage.com sells which has the modified Snap-On 27mm crowfoot & check valve adapter as well as the hose adapters......need a compressor/shop air that can put out at least 100 psi
6 Be patient & take a another day or two until all 6 ports are evenly discharging the de-carbonizer..........the p-car.com guys had a lot of good techniques on performing the service

BTW, the reason I found this thread is because I'm looking to build one of these circuits & fake out the DME in my '96..........I enjoy working on my cars but I have to many other projects going on to deal with this every 2/3 years!

Last edited by Bjm12001; 06-29-2015 at 05:40 PM.
Old 07-01-2015, 02:13 PM
william_b_noble
Burning Brakes

I have a set of aluminum pieces I machined to plug the exhaust ports. Since my 993 was stolen, I don't need these any more, I would be happy for them to find a new home - just PM me - of course I'd like some money for them, since it cost something for the aluminum and the time I spent making them - they do work and help. I set one up so you can circulate solvent through the specific path with a small pump, but beware that a good solvent eats cheap pumps (so the method failed for me, but not because of the concept, rather because I used a cheapie pump). Message me if you want the machined plugs.
Old 09-07-2015, 12:21 PM
nine9six
Banned

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

I thought this excerpt may be appropriately posted here as a potential cautionary note regarding the SAI system..
https://rennlist.com/forums/993-foru...-much-oil.html

Lastly, dry-sump engines are VERY VERY different from wet-sump ones and oil levels should never, ever be maintained at the top of the dipstick range. Keep excess oil out of the intake system by maintaining oil levels halfway or slightly below and you will not have smoking issues, ruined & contaminated cats, extended longevity of oxysensors, spark plugs, and cleaner pistons & valves.
Based upon this post, I cant help but wonder if over filling of the oil is not a significant contributing factor to the SAI port clogging. Add to this, a faulty or corroded check valve, and the probability increases even further. Now, add in the stated root cause of worn valve guides, and I see a system with multiple points of failure...

One man in the business, seeing thousands of the same issue; why the statistical probability alone must be staggering when considering contributing factors to the SAI issue.

EDIT:
If I were a betting man, which I am not; I'd even venture to say that early SAI clogging may be PRIMARILY due to engine oil overfilling, and not worn valve guides. Not saying worn or oversized valve guides does not further promote the issue, but if the numbers Steve is quoting is correct, it would be very difficult to ignore the data!

Quick Reply: Recap of the SAI circuit