993 Forum 1995-1998

Windshield wiper motor replacement on 993

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2006, 08:46 PM
Itsallgood
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Windshield wiper motor replacement on 993

Here is a summary of the procedure I used to replace the front wiper motor in a 1995 993 C2 with A/C. I hope that it helps someone in the future.

The Porsche manual requires the disassembly of the airbag, steering wheel, A/C lines and the firewall. The dealers charge is $1,100 including the new motor. They estimate it will take 4.5 hours to complete this job.

This is a tough job because the area which you need to work in is so small.

I removed Tach, Oil guage and Speedo without removing airbag and sterring wheel. Twist Tach 180 degrees to get it out. I had to push up the top of the dash in order to get it out but it came out pretty easy.

Pop off the fresh air air tube at both ends but leave it in the instrument cavity.

Under hood - move small A/C line on drivers side toward front as far as it will go (about 3 inches). I couldn't get the big A/C line to budge more than about 1/2"

Support hood and disconnect drivers side pnuematic hood piston.

Jog wipers to about the center position (on the return stroke). Disconnect battery. Reconnect as needed to jog output arm. As needed to get access to bolts.

Use 13mm socket on swivel extension (I taped my extensions and the socket so I wouldn't loose it) or a combo wrench (I tied string to the wrenches) to loosen the main drive arm on the motor (the main splined transmission output on the motor assembly). This is where I had my only real problem. I took out the three supporting bolts that hold the motor in place before I took off this main nut. The whole wiper carraige moves (as if the wipers are working) when pressure is applied. I ended up using a long piece of wood propped against the wall to stop the the arm from turning. Once I broke the nut loose it was also a pain to pry the arm up and off from the motor shaft.

The three bolts that hold the motor in place are hard to reach. I was able to get the bottom two with the swivel socket (10mm). The top one had to be wrenched.

The wiper motor is removed through the tachometer opening.

The Porsche procedure said to use a 10mm stud in one of the motor mounting holes to help align the new unit in place. This was helpful but I still had to force some shop rags under the motor to get it to line up enough to bolt into place. An extra set of hands would help alot. Fish all three bolts into place and tighten.

Cycle motor and rehook the drive arm last. Put everything else back where it came from.

This job took me 11 hours. Yep, 11 hours and a few bruises to boot. 6 hours to get the motor out and 5 hours to get in back in. The time includes complete start to finish. I consider myself to be a pretty good mechanic but this was my first job ever on a Porsche. You might be able to shave a little time off.

If you have access to A/C equipment it would be nice to break the A/C lines and get them out of the way.

This job requires extreme patience but it can be done. I picked up the new motor for $260 from DPS-motorsports.com.

I was going to do the reverse wiper setup (swing the output arm 180 degrees) but I couldn't get my wrench onto the main nut when I had the arm in this position (the carraige arm covers the main bolt). I would have had to cycle the wipers half way and the experiment with the position to get it right. It probably would have added a couple of hours to the job and I wanted to get the job done. Too bad though, I sort of wish I did the switch over.

Useful tools:
Lots of 13mm and 10mm combo wrenches and swivel socket adapter with long socket extentions. Several small flashlights. Magnetic pickup tool. Really long screwdriver and some other long probes for reaching deep into the abyss for various reasons.

I am going to smoke a nice expensive cigar tonight to celebrate my ability to drive this cabrio in the rain. Good Luck.

Jim - Itsallgood
Old 11-18-2006, 09:31 PM
Garth S
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

I betcha the next time would only take 10 hours .. well done! I have removed this motor from a wreck, so have some idea of the fun you had.

BTW, like many, I removed the 'intermittant' wiper relay and repositioned blades and arms .... a 10 min job: very pleased with the results of having the wipers parked to the far right..
Old 11-18-2006, 09:58 PM
Svaha
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There is an easier way to reverse the wipers. You have to give up the intermittent function. Remove wiper relay R42 from inside the front trunk. Use the wiper lever to manually leave the wipers as far as they will go to the right. From the outside of the car, you can then remove and reposition the blades as low as you'd like.. Voila, easy wiper reversal. This makes a huge difference from the driver's perspective.
(Garth, apparently great minds think alike)

Last edited by Svaha; 11-19-2006 at 01:26 AM.
Old 11-19-2006, 12:59 PM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 66 Likes on 55 Posts

Well done Jim! I sympathize with you...I have looked into that cavity to do the park the wipers on the right (doing it the old fashioned way) but I decided I was not in the mood that day....you definitely have to been in the mood to work in that area of the car..

Cheers,

Mike
Old 11-19-2006, 01:37 PM
drsh
Advanced

With reference to having your wipers park on the opposite side, UK cars already park on right (looking from inside) maybe if you guys had a UK relay you could still use the intermittent wipe with the wipers reversed.

If anyone would like to try, I would happily mail one from the UK if someone wants to buy one.
Old 11-19-2006, 06:07 PM
Itsallgood
Track Day

Default Interesting approach

David,
A clever idea. It seems to me that if the part number is different than the US relay then you may have something here. I'll do some research on the US part number. Would you mind doing the same and we can compare notes?
Jim
Old 11-19-2006, 06:59 PM
Itsallgood
Track Day

Default US Wiper relay number

David,
The USA wiper relay number is 993 615 101 00

The USA wiper motor is located on the driver's side. How about on the UK models?

Jim
Old 11-19-2006, 07:09 PM
Itsallgood
Track Day

Default Thanks Svaha and Garth,

Ok, based on your vast wisdom I pulled my wiper relay and yes, it makes all of that hanging wiper gear dissapear. Very nice! A great way to view the world - through an unihibited windscreen.

Now if I could just get my intermittant back. Here in Seattle we have a fair bit of drizzle - the intermittant feature is nice. I'll look at David's UK relay idea to see if it will work. In the mean time I'll park em to the right!
Jim
Old 11-19-2006, 09:49 PM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Itsallgood
David,
A clever idea. It seems to me that if the part number is different than the US relay then you may have something here. I'll do some research on the US part number. Would you mind doing the same and we can compare notes?
Jim
Now that would be a neat solution!...its almost sounds too good to be true. Keep diggin', we are waiting with baited breath (whatever that means!).

Cheers,

Mike
Old 11-20-2006, 12:25 AM
BS911
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 5 Posts

Wow Jim. I'm surprised it took 11 hours... I would have expected about 20 or 30! Nice write-up certainly, but it kind of goes with the A/C evaporator replacement DIY. This is how you do it, but pray you will never need it. Anyway, congrats on a job well done.
Old 11-21-2006, 12:20 AM
Itsallgood
Track Day

Default Looked inside the wiper motor gearbox......

Although hope runs eternal for a quick and easy solution to park the wipers on the right side via a UK relay exchange, my hopes are diminishing. I opened up the transmission on the old wiper motor for a look/see and it looks like there are a couple of terminals used for rotary position sensing. It looks like one terminal (contact) completes a circuit once every 360 degrees. My guess is that when the output gear rotates 360 degrees it cuts power to the motor thus parking the wiper blades. I'll bet that the relay part number from the UK will be the same as for the USA. It is pleasant to dream though....you never know.

Jim
Old 11-25-2006, 05:23 PM
drsh
Advanced

Jim

Photo as promised
Attached Images  
Old 11-27-2006, 02:59 PM
Itsallgood
Track Day

Default Photos of the USA Wiper Relay and Transmission

David,
Nice sluething so far. The UK and USA relays carry the same part numbers.

So the next question - are the wiper motors the same part number? The USA wiper motor is part number 993 624 10500 (the number sequence on the motor is 0390 241 340 CEP 12V). Perhaps a UK Rennlister wouldn't mind making a call to a dealer to determine the part number.

Take a look at the attached photos and you should be able to see the one electrical terminal on the transmission that makes contact once every 360 degrees. If the motor numbers are the same then the position of this terminal within the transmission casing should be the same.

If the wiper motor part numbers are the same (my guess is that they are) then the only way that I know of to park the wipers on the opposite side is to rotate the transmission linkage to Crank Mechanism arm 180 degrees. This may have been Porsche's simple solution.

Regards,

Jim
Attached Images    
Old 11-27-2006, 03:32 PM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Its likely that we are back to changing the linkages...which I am sure Jim can comment how much fun that is!

Good work so far...I hope you find something. Mind you if the motors are different then its likely easier to just change the linkage position than changing the motor out....its might be painfull but its free!

Cheers,

Mike
Old 11-27-2006, 08:21 PM
epj993
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My PET CD shows the following for the wiper motor & linkage (crank drive):

USA & RoW - LHD:
Wiper Motor: 993 624 105 00
Crank Drive: 993 628 935 00

RoW - RHD:
Wiper Motor: 993 624 106 00
Crank Drive: 993 628 936 00

Aside from the part numbers, the diagrams are virtually the same. So, no help there. I think Mike may be right, linkage reversal may be the only way to go.

Quick Reply: Windshield wiper motor replacement on 993