993 Forum 1995-1998

reprogramming key remote

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2005, 10:52 PM
trojanman
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default reprogramming key remote

I apologize in advance if this has been covered, but is there a DIY for programming a keyless remote for a 993?

I got all three keys with my purchase (two with remote, one valet), but only one of the remotes works (yes, it has a good battery and the LED is illuminated).

Thanks...
Old 06-01-2005, 11:11 PM
GratefulJED
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Let me be the first to say...search!
search p-car.com
search the owner's manual
Don't attempt this at night - you will set off the alarm unless you are perfect at following directions (which we know is not the case)!! Tongue in cheek of course!!
Old 06-01-2005, 11:47 PM
Mark in Hermosa
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Jeff:

Search on user "Mike Cap". Mike has detailed instructions that he faxed me when I needed to program a new key. I unfortunately do not have them anymore. I am sure Mike does.

Fight on.
Old 06-01-2005, 11:53 PM
HK G36C
Rennlist Member

Received 62 Likes on 34 Posts

Jeff: How excited are you about her, let's see pics? thanks, David
Old 06-02-2005, 12:30 AM
hoggel
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

This is what worked for me (plagiarized from the factory repair manual) after I fixed the two different problems with my alarm (fuse 11 open and alarm horn disconnected):

1. Unlock the car with the remote and wait at least 3 minutes for the immobilizer to prime.

2. Switch the ignition on. The warning light (looks like a remote symbol) in the clock will go on and then off after 15 seconds.

3. Switch the ignition off and on again within 5 seconds. The warning light in the clock will light up and start to flash after 15 seconds.

4. Start to enter the key code within 5 seconds. Enter the code by turning the key off-on for each digit of the code. Wait for the warning light in the clock to come back on between each digit of the code. For example: 1302

1 = ignition off-on
wait for warning light to come on
3 = ignition off-on, off-on, off-on
0= ignition off-on (10 times)
2=ignition off-on, off-on

5. If the number was entered correctly the warning light will flash after the last digit is entered. When the light is flashing the remote can be programmed and MUST be programmed within one minute.

6. Press the button on the remote until the LED of the alarm system flashes. Operate all the remotes one after the other, wait for the LED to flash after each.

7. When all of the remotes are programmed (no more than 4) switch the ignition off.
Old 06-02-2005, 01:09 AM
Scott 1996 993c2
Nordschleife Master

Jeff -

Let me be the first to say -- YOUR AVATAR ROCKS ! ! Is that your ball?

I took the lazy way out and had a new remote re-programmed at the dealer.

Fight On!

Scott
Old 06-02-2005, 02:32 AM
trojanman
Three Wheelin'

Thanks guys... I will figure it out.

BTW, one of my "switchblade" remote keys was in really bad shape so I bought the separate replacement remote housing and lighted key cap from the dealer (~$90), and followed the DIY on p-car to convert/replace the circuit board and key. Pic below is how it turned out... I like it A LOT more than the cheapy switchblade.

Hey Scott... yep, that's a ball signed by the whole team from the '03-'04 national champs (including glossy photo of Mike Williams and cert of authenticity). My pride and joy, though, is a personalized ball signed by Matt Leinart just a few months ago following the second national championship and his Heisman. A good friend's mother is a teacher at his former high school (Mater Dei), and he came back in Feb this year for a big celebration... she asked him, and he did it. Very cool.
Attached Images  
Old 06-02-2005, 03:56 AM
Scott 1996 993c2
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by trojanman
Hey Scott... yep, that's a ball signed by the whole team from the '03-'04 national champs (including glossy photo of Mike Williams and cert of authenticity). My pride and joy, though, is a personalized ball signed by Matt Leinart just a few months ago following the second national championship and his Heisman. A good friend's mother is a teacher at his former high school (Mater Dei), and he came back in Feb this year for a big celebration... she asked him, and he did it. Very cool.
Jeff -

Good for you brother! Both items are keeper's for sure. Let the good times roll, and look out '05 season.

Scott
Old 06-02-2005, 07:52 PM
flyenby
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Question, If you enter the digits wrong, will you mess up the realtionship between the remote you already have, and the immobilizer???

Thank you
Old 06-02-2005, 07:55 PM
STLPCA
Addict & Guru
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by flyenby
Question, If you enter the digits wrong, will you mess up the realtionship between the remote you already have, and the immobilizer???
No. It'll abort the reprogramming & you'll need to start over again.
Old 06-02-2005, 08:06 PM
STLPCA
Addict & Guru
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by hoggel
1. Unlock the car with the remote and wait at least 3 minutes for the immobilizer to prime.
Wierd, but that's not the start of the process shown in my Owners' Manual, Factory Workshop Manual or my more user friendly "cheat" sheet kept in my car. AFAIK, having done this successfully a number of times, it's:

Step 1. Unlock, lock and unlock the door in rapid succession. (5 second limit to do this).
Old 06-03-2005, 02:49 AM
trojanman
Three Wheelin'

I tried the DIY and it didn't work... everything went great until I went to step 6 and my remote would not make the LED come on, no matter how long I held it there. I tried all steps twice. I wonder if there's something wrong with the circuit board in the remote... the LED flashes when I press and hold the button.
Old 06-03-2005, 09:30 AM
STLPCA
Addict & Guru
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by trojanman
I tried the DIY and it didn't work...
Make sure the frequency of your remote is correct.
More info in this thread: 2 remote frequencies
Old 06-03-2005, 12:20 PM
CAHRERA
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 19 Posts

How do I get my CODE for the key fob remote. Do I need to get it by giving my VIN# to the dealer?

Or can I just purchase the outer casing like Jeff did and not have to retune the remote?
Old 06-03-2005, 01:09 PM
trojanman
Three Wheelin'

Default switching to separate remote

Hey Scott...

If you have a working switchblade remote, all you have to do is take the circuit board out of it and put it into the new housing... no programming required. Just FYI, there is confusion at the dealers regarding the separate remote and whether the housing can be purchased without the "guts". Newport Beach was able to sell the housing only (~$65) while Walter's in Riverside said they could only sell the whole unit (~$150) which in turn needs to be programmed.

As a side note, my second switchblade has the correct frequency but as I said before, its LED flashes when I hold the button and I cannot seem to get it programmed. Anyone have any advice?

Quick Reply: reprogramming key remote