993 Forum 1995-1998

How to install HID high & low beam lights

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2005, 10:14 PM
JohnJL
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default How to install HID high & low beam lights

Note: I have edited this post for accuracy. Also, I need to add a credit to Kelly for his patience and pictures. Thank You!The instructions here are for the high beams. If you want to install the bulbe in the low beams, just do the same thing, but on the bulb farthest from the lens (closest to you when you are looking at the back). I screwed up and put them in the high beam location but will switch them soon. they are very bright and very white but take 5-10 seconds to really warm up and so are better in a low-beam application if you are only going to do one or the other.

This is pertinent to the xequipped.com/ebay lights so popular lately. I'll post the pics tomorrow when I've had a chance to resize them.

You need 2 10-12 gauge female spade terminals, electrical tape (I like 3M) and heavy-duty velcro (radioshak has great stuff).

You'll need a pair of pliars for crimping and cutting, a swiss-army knife for cutting the rubber grommet a bit, a drill and a 1" bit.

If you can brush your own teeth, you can do this!

Remove your headlight according to the owner's manual.

Open the rear hatch of the headlight by pulling/sliding the metal retainer down.

Drill a 1" hole in the black plastic hatch on the hinge end. This is the end that's closer to the low beams.

When looking at the back of the lamp with the rear hatch open, the low beam is the one farther from you. Now's also a good time to switch out your high beam (the one closer to you) for Silverstars or other brighter/whiter halogen bulbs). To remove the bulb, grab the small wire retainer, move it away from its hook, and fold it back. Be careful not to allow it to come off its hinge or you'll be shaking it upside-down and swearing at it to get back into position. Pull bulb back out of the hole and disconnect the positive white wire from the bulb base.

Clip the brown 'ground' wire from the bulb case. Strip the end and attach a female spade terminal.

Carefully but forcefully grab the HID wires below the bulb and wiggle the grommet back away from the bulb as far back as possible, until it is 1/2 inch (ok, 11.5MM) from the connectors on the HID harness. Be careful not to pull the wires from the bulb and don't touch the bulb. You are doing this to allow enough wire between the bulb and the grommet so it reaches the rear headlight hatch, where you'll drill the 1" hole.

Insert the bulb into the hole where you removed the old one. Some have reported you need to widen the bulb hole with a file, I did not.

Connect the white power+ female connecter that was on the old bulb to the red wire on the HID harness. Connect the brown wire to the black wire on the HID harness.

Feed the wires to the harness through the 1" hole you drilled into the back of the hatch. Carefully push the grommet into the hole. You are almost done!

Lay a blanket on the bottom of the headlight hole on the car hood to protect it. Lay the headlight on it as if you are going to position it back in place.

Open up the hood and position the ballast where you want to fasten it. There is a convenient spot under the hoof upholstery just aft of the grommet feeding wires to the headlights. Fasten 2 pieces of heavy-duty velcro to the metal body and 2 corresponding pieces on the ballast. Carefully cut a slit into the grommet. DO NOT CUT OR NICK THE WIRES! Cut it open just enough to feed the heavy wire from the ballast to the headlight and the 2 leads from the headlight to the unit. Connect the wires to the ballast. As you push the light into place, pull gently back on the ballast to take up the slack in the wires. Push the headlight all the way back in place. Use the lever inside the hood to fully seat the headlight and the connections. Push the ballast onto its velcro footing.

Enjoy your new lighting!

BEWARE: this is what worked for me. I take no responsibility for any damage you might have...use common sense and ask questions on the board if you have difficulty!
I'll post the pics soon, or e-mail me for specific shots.
Attached Images         

Last edited by JohnJL; 01-17-2005 at 07:17 PM. Reason: accuracy and add pictures
Old 01-16-2005, 10:18 PM
C4S_fan
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

Very detailed instructions! Definitely bookmarked! Thanks John.. I'll be ordering my kit soon
Old 01-16-2005, 10:51 PM
nile13
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 90 Likes on 57 Posts

John, what ar your impressions on the lights themselves?
Any alignment issues at all? Which kit did you go with?
Old 01-16-2005, 11:18 PM
Chuck W.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 355 Likes on 210 Posts

John...Thanks. My xequipped.com/ebay lights are sitting on my coffee table. You're install info is just what I needed.
Old 01-16-2005, 11:27 PM
kkim
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Good job!

How do yo like your new lights?
Old 01-17-2005, 12:10 AM
fbfisher
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I am on their site now, do I get he H1 4300K or the H1 5000K
Old 01-17-2005, 12:29 AM
PedroNole
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

h1 4300k. Look at my thread on this. Use PayPal and in the comments section put in "Rennlist Group Buy." $250.00
Old 01-17-2005, 12:43 AM
fbfisher
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Does the $250 include shipping?
Old 01-17-2005, 12:44 AM
Steve 96C4S
Rennlist Member

Received 853 Likes on 435 Posts

Thanks! I'm about to install this with the help of Joe tomorrow at 930am. I'm printing your great directions and bringing them to the garage, pronto.

Steve
Old 01-17-2005, 12:59 AM
fbfisher
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

So even though the "Checkout" for PayPal says $339.99, I will only be charged $250 or $270?

Sorry to be such a dork about this but it's all new to me. Thanks for your help.
Old 01-17-2005, 01:04 AM
PedroNole
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by fbfisher
So even though the "Checkout" for PayPal says $339.99, I will only be charged $250 or $270?

Sorry to be such a dork about this but it's all new to me. Thanks for your help.

Don't go through their website. Use his PayPal address. I think shipping is $20.00. All the info's in my previous thread.

https://rennlist.com/forums/993-forum/179616-south-florida-hid-diy-install.html
Old 01-17-2005, 01:05 AM
Steve 96C4S
Rennlist Member

Received 853 Likes on 435 Posts

Yes! Just email him directly.

Steve
Old 01-17-2005, 01:37 AM
fbfisher
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by PedroNole
Don't go through their website. Use his PayPal address.
Done! Thanks! I guess he will confirm via email?
Old 01-17-2005, 02:26 AM
solsrch
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Steve,
Glad you printed this, one less thing to do before driving up tomorrow.
Old 01-17-2005, 10:13 AM
solsrch
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have to publicly admit, I cancelled out on Steve today. My tools are packed, my print outs from various photos and threads are ready to go, but my wife is still getting over a serious illness and with the meds she is taking and four kids at home, it just didn't work today. We are planning to regroup on Saturday! We'll let you know how that turns out.

Quick Reply: How to install HID high & low beam lights