Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2013, 05:38 PM
curve lover
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Thread revival

Originally Posted by Sid

As a new owner, I've been posting a few question and want to thank everyone helping out. It is nice to find people with the same passion for motoring that I have. I thought I would start a post of something that I think about:

Porsche as Art.

I recently bought a polar silver 1996 C4S. I was checking out of a store and I noticed a man standing in front of my car. He must have been frozen to stop for atleast five minutes. When I walked out, he said "That is a beautiful car". He just smiled and walked off. I found it interesting that he did not say "that looks fast" or "that looks expensive".

Off all the cars that I think are truly beautiful, porsche comes the closest to my ideal.

Art takes nature as its model.
-Aristotle

There is something organic about the shape of the car. Its curves suggest smooth muscles underneath. Its graceful arch has a natural character to it. This is true of many performance cars. The classics all have a strong hit of nature.

Form ever follows function.
-Louis H. Sullivan

The car is surprisingly simple. Simple is also surprisingly hard to do in art. As your eyes move over the car, they flow smoothly. It is idea of the sports car that Porsche it trying to realize. It form (design/mechanics) must follow the function of sports driving. Ferraris are pretty cars, but I notice that they are not driven like Porsches. A Porsche is meant to driven daily and aggressively. It is the realization of the function that make the Porsche so appealing to me.

The fact the mechanics of the car are so reliable (I had fever problems with my 81 SC than I do with my current family SUV) and well considered make it a true sports car, not just a pretty face. It's beautiful because it fulfills the purpose of a sports car.

I get (almost) as much pleasure by looking at the car as I do from driving. It stirs the driving urge everytime. It makes me want to jump in and find a winding
road.
Thoughts?

Cheers --Jäger
Old 05-05-2013, 05:40 PM
curve lover
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

"The car is surprisingly simple. Simple is also surprisingly hard to do in art. As your eyes move over the car, they flow smoothly. "

Old 05-05-2013, 06:26 PM
Dryfly57
Pro

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Good call Jager!
Old 05-05-2013, 07:13 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,444 Likes on 836 Posts

should have left it where it was if you ask me.
Old 05-05-2013, 07:55 PM
curve lover
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Quadcammer

should have left it where it was.
Wow, Oliver, I had no idea this thread was destined for greatness - but I do now!!!
I couldn't have asked for a better endorsement so early

Something for nearly everyone else here, even scale models & RLers' rides:

Cheers --Jäger
Old 05-05-2013, 08:10 PM
curve lover
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Dryfly57

Good call Jager!
Thomas-- Thanks! Any part of Sid's quote connect the strongest?

Speaking of artistic 993s: your entry in 50years.Porsche.com's Photo Stream Competition's an excellent example:

Cheers --Jäger
Old 05-05-2013, 09:49 PM
curve lover
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Sid

I get (almost) as much pleasure by looking at the car as I do from driving. It makes me want to jump in and find a winding road.

^^ Photography by RLer jeremycliff.

Cheers --Jäger
Old 05-05-2013, 10:43 PM
timothymoffat
Rennlist Member

Received 1,059 Likes on 478 Posts

Jäger the Grave Digger.

Good thread though. I too have spent FAR too much time just sitting and staring at my cars......and any other 911s that seem to end up in my driveway from time to time.
Old 05-05-2013, 10:49 PM
Dryfly57
Pro

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Jager, this is what I take away from Sid's posting. I think you'll agree!

"There is something organic about the shape of the car.
It's curves suggest smooth muscles underneath it.
It has a natural character to it."

Also, thank you for posting my 993 that that I contributed to the 50's anniversary photo stream.
Regards as always,
Old 05-06-2013, 03:03 AM
curve lover
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Jager, I think you'll agree!
Absolutely! Little has changed re: the art of the 993 since Sid's original post, IMHO.

Also, thank you for posting my 993 that that I contributed to the 50's anniversary photo stream.
My pleasure, Thomas. If you haven't seen the "RL Social Media Experiment" thread yet, you might want to share it there
Originally Posted by timothymoffat

Jäger the Grave Digger.

Get on board, bro, save the world

RUF has the Greenster electric 911,
Porsche has the 918 Spyder hybrid supercar,
I recycle 11-year-old threads that are worth another look.

Good thread.
I have spent FAR too much time just sitting and staring at my cars......and any others in my driveway from time to time.
You often have a good 'mobile art show' nearby
Originally Posted by J-Mac 5001

My name is John McKenzie - neighbor of Timothy Moffat and his 993 brother Doug.

Cheers --Jäger
Old 05-06-2013, 03:18 AM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 259 Likes on 173 Posts

the 911 shape is very unique. It has lasted the test of time.

Something so small with massive curves.

I love the style and also enjoy the fact that it is not vulgar in-your-face like that of a lambo or ferrari.
Old 05-06-2013, 01:12 PM
Raleigh993
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

The style of Porsche first attracted me as a teen gazing upon an early 70's 911 (love the ducktail). The timelessness and functionality of the design is the epitome of automobile nirvana IMHO.

Starting October 12th, the NC Museum of Art is presenting Porsche by Design Seducing Speed as their first design exhibition. It will run through Jan 2014.

Many different collectors, including the factory, will be contributing some of the finest examples available for this exhibition. If one were so inclined, a visit to the Ingram Collection in Durham could be combined with the exhibition for the ultimate Porsche viewing weekend.
Old 05-06-2013, 01:36 PM
Floodj
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The subtle beauty of the 993s moves me and connects to many on an emotional (or unseen) level.
I always park the 993 in the garage spot close to the door to the house. I do this so when I walk out to get in another car I see MY car sitting there.

Another thing, my sons are young (5 and 3) and love the 993 too. They will often run their hands down her sides (and yes I do tell them to stop as it is bad for the paint and gets their hands dirty). When they do it, their hands follow the form and flow of the car's lines. Up the fender, over the front wheel, along the door, and up and over her hips. They have no clue how they are interacting with the art of her design; but I see it in their hand prints and the light in their eyes as they take in the gracerfulness of her design.

--Joe
Old 05-06-2013, 01:37 PM
Floodj
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

PS. Jeager...thanks for reviving this thread. It predates my 993 ownership, so I had never seen it before.
Old 05-06-2013, 01:53 PM
911Jetta
Rennlist Member

Received 486 Likes on 279 Posts

Originally Posted by Raleigh993
...Starting October 12th, the NC Museum of Art is presenting Porsche by Design Seducing Speed as their first design exhibition. It will run through Jan 2014.

Many different collectors, including the factory, will be contributing some of the finest examples available for this exhibition. If one were so inclined, a visit to the Ingram Collection in Durham could be combined with the exhibition for the ultimate Porsche viewing weekend.

Quick Reply: Porsche as Art