Sponsored by:

Coupe vs Convertible

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2017, 02:16 PM
erdrff
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Coupe vs Convertible

I'm in the market for a 991.2 and can't decide if I want a convertible or not. I have always wanted a convertible and I think it's amazing thing to just be able to open the top and drive with the wind in your hair and the sky above you. When I was single, I used to ride a motorcycle. Now that I am married and have kids, I do not want to risk my life with a motorcycle. But I miss that open air driving. For those of you with a convertible, is it worth it? Do you drive it top down as often as you thought you would? If you had to go back, would you still do the convertible or stick with the coupe?
Old 03-03-2017, 02:33 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,441 Likes on 2,248 Posts

Originally Posted by erdrff
I'm in the market for a 991.2 and can't decide if I want a convertible or not. I have always wanted a convertible and I think it's amazing thing to just be able to open the top and drive with the wind in your hair and the sky above you. When I was single, I used to ride a motorcycle. Now that I am married and have kids, I do not want to risk my life with a motorcycle. But I miss that open air driving. For those of you with a convertible, is it worth it? Do you drive it top down as often as you thought you would? If you had to go back, would you still do the convertible or stick with the coupe?
I took delivery of a 2015 .1 GTS convertible - I LOVE it (although with full disclosure I also have a 2010 GT3 to satisfy my coupe needs) ... Ive tracked
the GTS several times (top up) ... I pretty much *only* drive the GTS with
the top down ...

p.s if you get a cabriolet make SURE you get the reversing camera - its a MUST for safe reversing

Nordschleife
Old 03-03-2017, 02:41 PM
R_Rated
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 32 Posts

I'll point out a little tidbit that on the 991 it is actually and hardtop convertible with a fabric cover. This makes a world of difference in sound and rigidity - although not as rigid as a coupe. The panels are magnesium to keep center of gravity very low.

I have a cab and wouldn't have it any other way!
Old 03-03-2017, 03:08 PM
Al.Fresco
Three Wheelin'

Received 327 Likes on 187 Posts

Every pondered a Targa??
Old 03-03-2017, 03:14 PM
erdrff
Advanced

Originally Posted by Fasttr
Every pondered a Targa??
Read articles that it's too soft and more of a tourer than a sports car.
Old 03-03-2017, 03:17 PM
Al.Fresco
Three Wheelin'

Received 327 Likes on 187 Posts

My wife says that same thing about me.
Old 03-03-2017, 03:21 PM
erdrff
Advanced

Originally Posted by Larry Cable
I took delivery of a 2015 .1 GTS convertible - I LOVE it (although with full disclosure I also have a 2010 GT3 to satisfy my coupe needs) ... Ive tracked
the GTS several times (top up) ... I pretty much *only* drive the GTS with
the top down ...

p.s if you get a cabriolet make SURE you get the reversing camera - its a MUST for safe reversing

Nordschleife
I wish I could have 2 911's! Unfortunately my kids are too young and need a 4-door so stuck with a Range Rover for family hauling. My wife hates convertibles and my brother calls it a girly car. I don't like their negative influence so hence why I'm on here to get your views. Thanks for your view and I guess I'm going to lean towards getting a Cab.

Trending Topics

Old 03-03-2017, 03:28 PM
KenTO
Burning Brakes

Received 522 Likes on 199 Posts

Wrong. It is softer than the Coupe but not more than the cab, and has a more rigid chassis than the cab although slightly more weight in the back, hence the reason for being a 4 model. There is not a single car in the current 911 line-up that is not a sports car and that would not be fun and capable on the track.
Old 03-03-2017, 03:50 PM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,528 Likes on 1,575 Posts

I'll preface this by saying I live outside of Houston. It was in the 70's over Christmas break, so I got some good top driving down with my Dad while he was in town. If I lived back in the Northeast, I might think twice about buying a cab again.

Having said that, I love it. More to the point my wife loves it, and it was a good way to have a third car and keep peace in the family. And my kids love it. An M4 / 435 / S5 / C43 Cabrio just isn't going to give you the same experience. We use ours top down all the time. The kids do get a little cold sometimes, but they like the roof down and don't complain too much. I'm thinking next winter I will pack blankets in the frunk for them.

But I love being able to throw it open at night when it cools down, or on a fall day. It's awesome. I haven't owned a convertible since I was in College and I thought that I would be self-conscious about people being able to see you (I live in the land of dark tint and jacked up pickups) and I could care less. I love the senses of being able to smell someone who just mowed the grass (not so fun driving past a pasture, or the sewer plant on the way home), being able to hear people walking on the street. It's great.

My only regret is I can't take it to track days at COTA. Very sad about that.

Originally Posted by R_Rated
I'll point out a little tidbit that on the 991 it is actually and hardtop convertible with a fabric cover. This makes a world of difference in sound and rigidity - although not as rigid as a coupe. The panels are magnesium to keep center of gravity very low.

I have a cab and wouldn't have it any other way!
Makes a world of difference between a pure fabric top, but still quite a bit louder. I drove them literally back to back last summer and we all noticed how much noisier the cab was top up vs. the coupe.

But as far as rigidity goes, you just don't notice any flex, jiggle, etc.

Originally Posted by Fasttr
Every pondered a Targa??
Much different experience. More like a huge sunroof. Reminds me of my old 300ZX with T-Tops. Definitely not the same as a Cab experience wise.

Originally Posted by KenTO
Wrong. It is softer than the Coupe but not more than the cab, and has a more rigid chassis than the cab although slightly more weight in the back, hence the reason for being a 4 model. There is not a single car in the current 911 line-up that is not a sports car and that would not be fun and capable on the track.

It's got the same chassis (read body, not suspension) as the cab, IIRC, but with the added weight of the glass bubble and the mandatory AWD. Again, IIRC, it's basically a cab with a very different roof mechanism. So compared to a 2WD cab, I feel the extra pounds.
Old 03-03-2017, 03:50 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

I wish I could have 2 911's! Unfortunately my kids are too young and need a 4-door so stuck with a Range Rover for family hauling. My wife hates convertibles and my brother calls it a girly car. I don't like their negative influence so hence why I'm on here to get your views. Thanks for your view and I guess I'm going to lean towards getting a Cab.
show your brother the picture of my cab in the Karussell ... then tell him if he thinks its a girly car to call me... :evingrin:

As another lister pointed out, the cabriolet is a "hard" top (with a canvas cover) so its not like "classic" cabriolets which only have a canvas only cover - you really should ge your wife to ride in one top up and down ... the only practical
downside I think it has is the rear vis out of the smaller back window (hence my suggesting regarding the reversing camera)

BTW go spec a .2 GTS cabriolet (or coupe) if you are going to get one at all ...
Old 03-03-2017, 03:55 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Needsdecaf
I'll preface this by saying I live outside of Houston. It was in the 70's over Christmas break, so I got some good top driving down with my Dad while he was in town. If I lived back in the Northeast, I might think twice about buying a cab again.

Having said that, I love it. More to the point my wife loves it, and it was a good way to have a third car and keep peace in the family. And my kids love it. An M4 / 435 / S5 / C43 Cabrio just isn't going to give you the same experience. We use ours top down all the time. The kids do get a little cold sometimes, but they like the roof down and don't complain too much. I'm thinking next winter I will pack blankets in the frunk for them.

But I love being able to throw it open at night when it cools down, or on a fall day. It's awesome. I haven't owned a convertible since I was in College and I thought that I would be self-conscious about people being able to see you (I live in the land of dark tint and jacked up pickups) and I could care less. I love the senses of being able to smell someone who just mowed the grass (not so fun driving past a pasture, or the sewer plant on the way home), being able to hear people walking on the street. It's great.

My only regret is I can't take it to track days at COTA. Very sad about that.
how come?

Makes a world of difference between a pure fabric top, but still quite a bit louder. I drove them literally back to back last summer and we all noticed how much noisier the cab was top up vs. the coupe.

But as far as rigidity goes, you just don't notice any flex, jiggle, etc.

Much different experience. More like a huge sunroof. Reminds me of my old 300ZX with T-Tops. Definitely not the same as a Cab experience wise.
+1!

It's got the same chassis (read body, not suspension) as the cab, IIRC, but with the added weight of the glass bubble and the mandatory AWD. Again, IIRC, it's basically a cab with a very different roof mechanism. So compared to a 2WD cab, I feel the extra pounds.
Old 03-03-2017, 03:58 PM
George from MD
Drifting

Received 350 Likes on 208 Posts

Where do you live? That would be the big question regarding usage in my mind. Here in MD summers are hot and muggy and the convertible tops are usually up- especially in August. LA, Miami in the Winter or other places are different.
Old 03-03-2017, 04:00 PM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,388 Likes on 2,509 Posts

The first thing I do is start the motor.
The second thing I do is hit the Sport Plus button.
The third thing I do is open the top.

That's how I roll.
Old 03-03-2017, 04:02 PM
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 196 Likes on 131 Posts

Ive had both...Ill never have another cab. The sound and ride in my opinion are nicer in a coupe. if I want air and light I open sunroof.
Old 03-03-2017, 04:04 PM
erdrff
Advanced

Originally Posted by George from MD
Where do you live? That would be the big question regarding usage in my mind. Here in MD summers are hot and muggy and the convertible tops are usually up- especially in August. LA, Miami in the Winter or other places are different.
I live in Raleigh NC. Hot summers. But cool nights and cool winters. So convertible would be perfect.

Quick Reply: Coupe vs Convertible