Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I'm Here To End The .1 vs. .2 Arguments Once And For All...

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2017, 03:33 PM
Bemo
Drifting

Received 259 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by R_Rated
Should have taken pictures... Drive it for errands today.... including picking up a giant refinished chair. Talk about a utilitarian car. Top down and chair back in the back seats, feet up. Done. Try that in a coupe!
Sweet, but I like my coupe! To hell with the chair, pets, food, unruly passengers, or other general objects and subjects that can detract from the wonderful driving experience
Old 03-01-2017, 03:35 PM
R_Rated
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Bemo
Sweet, but I like my coupe! To hell with the chair, pets, food, unruly passengers, or other general objects and subjects that can detract from the wonderful driving experience
If I had a .2 I would put a tow hitch on the back since all that torque would be great for towing.
Old 03-01-2017, 03:43 PM
NoGaBiker
Drifting

Received 228 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by Bents
Stopped reading at:
Why? I have nothing to say about the driving experience of the .2, and therefore have no need to have driven the .2. The article characterizes what I've read from the two camps and attempts to distill many pages of multiple threads into a cohesive -- and yes, succinct -- description of the arguments that are being repeated ad nauseam. And I'll put my experience of reading the blather continually posted by both sides up against anybody's on this board.
Old 03-01-2017, 03:48 PM
Tlaloc75
Three Wheelin'

Received 147 Likes on 101 Posts

Altitude based power loss drives me nuts, so for that alone I like the idea of the new turbo motors. Maybe blasphemy, especially coming from a 993 owner! But I love the idea of getting nearly full power delivery even up in the mountains where I drive.

Maybe in 10 or 20 years I'll pick one up
Old 03-01-2017, 03:53 PM
Bemo
Drifting

Received 259 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by Tlaloc75
Altitude based power loss drives me nuts, so for that alone I like the idea of the new turbo motors. Maybe blasphemy, especially coming from a 993 owner! But I love the idea of getting nearly full power delivery even up in the mountains where I drive.

Maybe in 10 or 20 years I'll pick one up
Dude - it's time to reduce the altitude, vacuums aren't the solution.
Just kidding of course. Big cars have pros and cons and we pay the bills for either...
Old 03-01-2017, 03:53 PM
chuckbdc
Race Car

Received 309 Likes on 184 Posts

In a couple of years the discussion will be about the dishonor of mid engined hybrid 800 HP 911s with electric turbos, and if one should spring for the option of a manual 4 speed.
Old 03-01-2017, 03:55 PM
R_Rated
Banned

Originally Posted by Bemo
Dude - it's time to reduce the altitude, vacuums aren't the solution.
Just kidding of course. Big cars have pros and cons and we pay the bills for either...
I wasn't going to post it again but just to prove the vacuum sound theory....

Old 03-01-2017, 03:56 PM
R_Rated
Banned

Originally Posted by chuckbdc
In a couple of years the discussion will be about the dishonor of mid engined hybrid 800 HP 911s with electric turbos, and if one should spring for the option of a manual 4 speed.
Battery weight!

I think we're not that far off from hydrogen which is much more efficient and potent.
Old 03-01-2017, 04:02 PM
GregD
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Good summary... See pic below... I think even the ".1" lacks the feel, noise, soul if you really dig deep enough, same deal every release. Sure is fun to drive though ! As long as I own grandma on the right, I'd have a .2 in a heartbeat if I could justify the expense, but I'd rather own several fun cars than one expensive one...

Actually what brought it home to me was the 4 cyl 718 S doing that crazy times on the ring, faster than an older GT3.. mind blowing !
Attached Images  
Old 03-01-2017, 04:05 PM
NoGaBiker
Drifting

Received 228 Likes on 123 Posts

^^^ Most importantly, it's amazing how different two colors that are called "white" can be.

Going with the rest of your photo, I'd call the longhood color "Garage Door White", and the Carrera "Stratus White."
Old 03-01-2017, 04:12 PM
AlBinVA
Racer

Received 110 Likes on 63 Posts

I personally could give a flying "F" which one is better regardless of any sounds or metrics. I am happy to own and drive one of the most iconic and revered sports cars ever produced. I come to this forum to learn about my first 911 and get deafened by all of the useless noise. Everyone needs to check their egos at the door before entering and make this a useful forum for information and the exchange of ideas.
Old 03-01-2017, 04:19 PM
991carreradriver
Rennlist Member

Received 426 Likes on 239 Posts

Originally Posted by AlBinVA
I personally could give a flying "F" which one is better regardless of any sounds or metrics. I am happy to own and drive one of the most iconic and revered sports cars ever produced. I come to this forum to learn about my first 911 and get deafened by all of the useless noise. Everyone needs to check their egos at the door before entering and make this a useful forum for information and the exchange of ideas.
+1
Old 03-01-2017, 04:19 PM
Hurricane
Race Car

Received 653 Likes on 299 Posts

They are both great Porsches!

I love the concept of more power and torque in the 991.2, the styling is a very slight net negative for me (but not enough to be concerned about), and the telematics aren't enough of an upgrade for me to care about. I wouldn't mind the rear wheel steering and I also like the new steering wheel.

I love the sound of the 991.1 and the looks, especially with the Aerokit Cup. A very classy (and classic) shape that will hold up (as will the 991.2) for many, many years to come.

If I was ordering one new, obviously it would be a 991.2 and I would be extremely happy with it. I liked letting someone take the depreciation hit (and I also would up with a 991.1 that I NEVER would have spec'ed myself) so I went with a CPO 991.1. That being said, one day I may yet custom order a 991 and in that case it would be a 991.2 or 992 or 994 or whatever is new at the time.

But I would be extremely happy in either one. And I am sure I would be happy with the upcoming 992 as well!

Cheers!
Old 03-01-2017, 04:26 PM
Tlaloc75
Three Wheelin'

Received 147 Likes on 101 Posts

Originally Posted by GregD
Good summary... See pic below... I think even the ".1" lacks the feel, noise, soul if you really dig deep enough, same deal every release. Sure is fun to drive though ! As long as I own grandma on the right, I'd have a .2 in a heartbeat if I could justify the expense, but I'd rather own several fun cars than one expensive one...

Actually what brought it home to me was the 4 cyl 718 S doing that crazy times on the ring, faster than an older GT3.. mind blowing !
That is a wicked cool picture. You are a lucky man!
Old 03-01-2017, 04:35 PM
GregD
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by NoGaBiker
^^^ Most importantly, it's amazing how different two colors that are called "white" can be.

Going with the rest of your photo, I'd call the longhood color "Garage Door White", and the Carrera "Stratus White."
It's Ivory.. Ivory has a little yellowish tint in it ;-)

Quick Reply: I'm Here To End The .1 vs. .2 Arguments Once And For All...