Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Key Memory

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2017, 03:41 PM
4pipes
Rennlist Member

Received 29 Likes on 21 Posts

Follow up, dealer coded the comfort storage module and now store to key operates as designed.

Anyone know how to transfer all the settings from one key to the second key? I don't have entry and drive.
Old 03-11-2017, 08:42 PM
horsie
Track Day

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My new 991.2 has Entry & Drive, and exactly the same problem as the OP.

In Settings > Lock in the MFD screen, the "Auto Memory" tab is missing.

Annoying as hell, after you've made a bunch of new comfort, heating and personal settings, they all disappear when you exit, lock and then re-enter the car, as the settings revert to the last programmed setting. Unless, of course, you remember to re-set the key memory on the door every time you change a setting. I've tried using the other key, same issue.

My dealer checked all the MY2017 models on their lot, and all were missing this.

4pipes: What is this comfort storage module you speak of? Is it just a software update through the PCM, or through the OBD? Just want to give my dealer some assistance to locate it and resolve this issue.
Old 03-11-2017, 10:03 PM
4pipes
Rennlist Member

Received 29 Likes on 21 Posts

I do t know the details or the correct name for the module that got reprogrammed, but that's all that was required to fix my car. I'm guessing it's the seat module. Also, when I bought the car, I told them I used to have the auto store feature on my Cayman but it's missing from the 911.2. They said it annoyed too many customers so they deleted it in the 911.2.
Old 03-12-2017, 01:34 AM
horsie
Track Day

Annoyed too many customers? How? You can choose to have it either on or off. Seems by deleting it, it's default to 'off', so there's no way to have your settings automatically set when you lock your car. And no way to cancel any previously stored settings, and not use stored settings in the keys, like when you are the only driver and it's not important to have separate settings for separate drivers with different keys.

It's even more annoying now! (not having Auto Memory).

Thanks 4pipes, good to know there is a software update, hopefully my dealer can find a solution to this mess.
Old 11-05-2017, 10:50 AM
jbatchelor
Intermediate

Received 22 Likes on 12 Posts

Hi Horsie - I have similar problems. Did you manage to get your issue resolved and, if so, what was the fix? Do you have any information on the module that needed to be recoded, or what the software change was?

James
Old 11-05-2017, 11:15 AM
usccharles
Pro

Received 227 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by 4pipes
Anyone know how to transfer all the settings from one key to the second key? I don't have entry and drive.
I'm curious to know if there is a solution to this as well. I have one key programmed exactly to my personal comfort. the other key however...
Old 11-06-2017, 07:29 AM
JR956678
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by usccharles
I'm curious to know if there is a solution to this as well. I have one key programmed exactly to my personal comfort. the other key however...
This seems to have worked for me (although I DO have entry and drive) - you might try it:

1 - Get everything set the way you want it and "saved" to one key (the key you normally use). You've probably already done this.
2 - Change keys - make sure that "primary" key is not in the car and the "secondary" key is - but don't lock the car and or unlock it with the secondary key - just get in the car with the secondary key, then manually save the settings to the key (which is now the secondary key).

Since you never unlocked the car with the secondary key nothing will have changed from the primary key settings and those same settings will now be saved to the secondary key.

After you've saved the same settings to both keys you can lock / unlock the car with either key and get the same settings back.

I don't believe that the settings are actually saved on the key but rather they are saved by the car and called up from the car computer based on which key unlocked the car.

Last edited by JR956678; 11-06-2017 at 08:48 AM.
Old 11-06-2017, 11:15 AM
usccharles
Pro

Originally Posted by JR956678
This seems to have worked for me (although I DO have entry and drive) - you might try it:

1 - Get everything set the way you want it and "saved" to one key (the key you normally use). You've probably already done this.
2 - Change keys - make sure that "primary" key is not in the car and the "secondary" key is - but don't lock the car and or unlock it with the secondary key - just get in the car with the secondary key, then manually save the settings to the key (which is now the secondary key).

Since you never unlocked the car with the secondary key nothing will have changed from the primary key settings and those same settings will now be saved to the secondary key.

After you've saved the same settings to both keys you can lock / unlock the car with either key and get the same settings back.

I don't believe that the settings are actually saved on the key but rather they are saved by the car and called up from the car computer based on which key unlocked the car.
thanks. will try this and get back!
Old 11-06-2017, 02:29 PM
horsie
Track Day

"Hi Horsie - I have similar problems. Did you manage to get your issue resolved and, if so, what was the fix? Do you have any information on the module that needed to be recoded, or what the software change was?

James"

James:

I brought my car to the dealer and showed them the problem. They had no solution.

Still bothersome to me, because sometimes you forget to re-set the key memory after you've made a change to any setting.

Will just have to live with it I guess, and will try JR's method.

Wonder if this problem is on the cars with Entry & Drive?
Old 11-07-2017, 08:31 AM
JR956678
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by horsie
Wonder if this problem is on the cars with Entry & Drive?
Yes - the problem does exist on cars with Entry & Drive - all 3 cars which I have owned over the last year have had Entry & Drive.

About a year ago I bought a 991.2 C4S; during delivery orientation I went through the MFD settings with my salesman and saw the "Auto memory" function - with a check mark by it. I knew what it meant (because I had a 2006 BMW M5 with a similar setting) and because for me I find it annoying I removed the check mark. A couple of weeks after taking delivery I brought the car to the dealer to have Porsche Car Connect functions enabled - this required connecting to a PIWIS and setting a code. Shortly after doing this I had occasion to look for the Auto memory option in the MFD only to find it was no longer present. I believed then (and still do now) that while the coding done for Car Connect was unrelated to the Auto memory function, that connection also removed the Auto memory function - probably unbeknownst to the dealer.

Since then I traded the C4S for a 991.2 TTS. Car Connect was programmed on that car the day of delivery, and it never had the Auto memory function present where it should be. I do not know if it showed before the Car Connect coding or not - I never looked for it - but do know it isn't there now.

To make things a bit more mysterious - I have also recently purchased a Macan GTS; as with the TTS, Car Connect was programmed on the day of delivery. And the Macan still has the Auto memory option - unchecked as that is my preference - but present in the Locking menu in the MFD where it should be.

Why this option seems to get deleted on a 911 (even though the manual discusses it) but left in tact on a Macan is a mystery to me.
Old 11-13-2017, 03:58 AM
usccharles
Pro

Originally Posted by JR956678

I can confirm this works to save personal settings to both keys.

take the key with desired settings, unlock car, entered the car with the other key to transfer said settings (remembering not to take the first main key) and manually save the current setting to the key. next time you use the second key the desired comfort settings will be transferred.

thank you!
Old 04-05-2024, 02:26 PM
AFRJacket
AutoX

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by stevewilm
Yes, mb1. Can be a pain in coastal NC where the weather was down to 20 one day this week and 75 yeaterday. I do have entry and drive, but didn't see the setting. Is it under door locking?
Interesting. I just bought a 2019 4 gts and have a condo just down the coast in Cherry Grove/N.Myrtle Beach, SC.

I have the same issues I'm trying to figure out so this thread should be beneficial!

Quick Reply: Key Memory