CPO validity question

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2016, 01:56 PM
alz
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CPO validity question

Hi,
I have a CPO'd 991 C2S, but bought through a non-Porsche dealer, so trying to figure out if the CPO is valid (4 year factory warranty expiring soon, deciding whether to buy a 5-7 year extended warranty).

I've searched old threads and found mentions that the CPO warranty is NOT valid if it goes through a non-Porsche dealer sale, for example this thread -
https://rennlist.com/forums/991/9542...-question.html

But also threads that say the CPO is valid even if it goes through a dealer (and that Porsche doesn't track this) -
https://rennlist.com/forums/991/8967...transfers.html

I called PCNA, who said the CPO is valid and follows the car not the owner, however they weren't able to give me any documentation confirming the validity, except to confirm my car was indeed under CPO. My dealer also doesn't have any CPO documentation with the car

Would anybody out there be able to confirm/deny this through the language on their CPO, or have a contact at PCNA who could confirm? Are there any examples of owners that have had CPO claims denied because it was purchased through a non-Pcar dealer, or vice versa - CPO claims that were fine even though the car was purchased through a non-Pcar dealer... I might cross-post this thread in the 997 forum, as the majority of us aren't in the CPO period of our cars yet

Thanks
Old 11-08-2016, 02:00 PM
systemr
Instructor

Received 35 Likes on 20 Posts

if you take it to a porsche dealer they can see the CPO in their system
Old 11-08-2016, 02:13 PM
STG
Race Director

Received 200 Likes on 142 Posts

Originally Posted by systemr

+1

Don't bring up any other info you rambled on with above. Just tell the Porsche dealer that you want to use that it has a CPO and they will be able to validate by VIN #. It would be in the Porsche dealer service dept database. Don't go on with all this other unnecessary info.

Why on earth raise all these flags calling PCNA ??
Old 11-08-2016, 02:21 PM
daberlin
Racer

Received 50 Likes on 12 Posts

Interesting question. I went and looked at Porsche's CPO brochure. Last paragraph says the following:

"Should you wish to sell your Porsche, you will also benefit from the Porsche Pre-Owned Limited Warranty. The remaining warranty can be transferred to the new owner".

As stated above, I was also under the impression that if you bought a previously CPO'd Porsche (that was still under the CPO warranty period) from a non-Porsche dealer, it voided the remainder of the CPO. But, after reading the CPO booklet from cover to cover, it makes no distinction about WHERE the CPO car came from. It's a CPO car. Simple as that.

As such, I wouldn't seek to obtain further clarification. You own a CPO car, regardless of who sold it to you, thus you are entitled to CPO benefits.
Old 11-08-2016, 02:26 PM
Double_J
Instructor

The Porsche CPO warranty brochure says that the warranty is transferable to new owners. I don't think you have a problem but any dealer can let you know for certain by checking in their systems for your VIN.

Also, one thing to consider...you can always renew the CPO certification on your car when the warranty period is up (either the original or CPO). The only limitation is that you can't get CPO status for cars that are 8 years or more from the original in-service date (or if they have more than 100,000 miles on the clock). Since it sounds like you have a 2013, this shouldn't be an issue even if you wanted to renew the CPO after your current CPO coverage expires in 2019.

Cost is something like $2,500 plus whatever maintenance/repairs it would take to get the car to CPO standard.

I haven't really shopped warranties but 're-CPOin' your car may be something to consider, especially if you think you have a clean and low mileage car.
Old 11-08-2016, 02:48 PM
alz
Advanced

Originally Posted by systemr
Originally Posted by STG
+1
Don't bring up any other info you rambled on with above. Just tell the Porsche dealer that you want to use that it has a CPO and they will be able to validate by VIN #. It would be in the Porsche dealer service dept database. Don't go on with all this other unnecessary info.

Why on earth raise all these flags calling PCNA ??
Originally Posted by Double_J
The Porsche CPO warranty brochure says that the warranty is transferable to new owners. I don't think you have a problem but any dealer can let you know for certain by checking in their systems for your VIN.
Thanks everyone. I just wanted to do the right thing, not raising flags

Maybe I'm too "by the book". So my local dealer can see the warranty fine in their systems also, so I think I'm good. One more question - does anyone know if I need to transfer the warranty into my name?
Old 11-08-2016, 02:52 PM
STG
Race Director

Received 200 Likes on 142 Posts

No need to transfer warranty in your name. The CPO is with the car VIN #, not you.
Old 11-08-2016, 02:52 PM
saeyedoc
Pro

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

My recollection is that CPO transfers to the new owner in a private sale, but not if through a dealer.
Old 11-08-2016, 02:55 PM
MJG911
Three Wheelin'

Received 55 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by saeyedoc
My recollection is that CPO transfers to the new owner in a private sale, but not if through a dealer.
maybe not through a Porsche dealer, but I really don't think they are going to do a title search when you bring it in for repairs to see if it was owned by another dealer in the past.
Old 11-08-2016, 03:59 PM
saeyedoc
Pro

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

https://rennlist.com/forums/997-turb...aler-true.html
Old 11-09-2016, 01:57 AM
alz
Advanced

Thanks everyone, feels like the CPO should be good for the money given the dealer confirmed it.
Old 09-12-2019, 10:02 AM
CLASSIC MUSCLE
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Double_J
Also, one thing to consider...you can always renew the CPO certification on your car when the warranty period is up (either the original or CPO). The only limitation is that you can't get CPO status for cars that are 8 years or more from the original in-service date (or if they have more than 100,000 miles on the clock). Since it sounds like you have a 2013, this shouldn't be an issue even if you wanted to renew the CPO after your current CPO coverage expires in 2019.

Cost is something like $2,500 plus whatever maintenance/repairs it would take to get the car to CPO standard.

I haven't really shopped warranties but 're-CPOin' your car may be something to consider, especially if you think you have a clean and low mileage car.
Lot of conflicting information on here about whether a private owner can “renew” a CPO. I’m currently looking at a privately owned 2014 911, 11,000 miles, and seller’s CPO runs out April 2020. He’s saying “he thinks” we can renew this for longer before he sells it to me for $3,000ish? Can these be renewed at your local dealer or not?
Old 09-12-2019, 10:36 AM
spiderv6
Rennlist Member

Received 268 Likes on 139 Posts

Originally Posted by CLASSIC MUSCLE
Lot of conflicting information on here about whether a private owner can “renew” a CPO. I’m currently looking at a privately owned 2014 911, 11,000 miles, and seller’s CPO runs out April 2020. He’s saying “he thinks” we can renew this for longer before he sells it to me for $3,000ish? Can these be renewed at your local dealer or not?
Maybe, but very messy. Essentially you need to construct a deal that involves the Porsche dealer buying the car and selling it back to you with a CPO. A whole lotta hassle and cost involved in that IF you can find a dealer who is motivated to be bothered with it all. Obviously they will not do it for free.

Search Fidelity Warranty. That will likely be a far easier solution for you.
Old 09-12-2019, 11:17 AM
rff15e
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Also on a quick note - I'm not sure it actually "costs $3000" to get the vehicle CPO'd - that's probably a worst case scenario and retail price point leverage for the dealership. And from personal experience, the certification process isn't the white glove inspection that it's cracked up to be. If they do actually "write a $3k check to Porsche," it's probably more about moving money and numbers around than actual cost. After all, Porsche is already heavily discounting the parts to dealerships. It's an easy net gain for the dealership in most cases to replace most items under warranty and profit on items that they declare to be "wear and tear." There are probably other incentives that make the "CPO price" not a great factor.

Quick Reply: CPO validity question