Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is it possible to program out the pops and crackling on decel w/ PSE?

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2016, 07:37 PM
Code
Three Wheelin'

Received 50 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by Dangelus
The pops and the crackle are what make it awesome!
Amen! I just ordered an AWE Switchpath exhaust just so I could enjoy the sound of those pops and gurgles even more.
Old 10-25-2016, 07:41 PM
jimbo1111
Banned

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by R_Rated
Yes. I bought a high end exhaust with a valve... however, I drive 99.9% of the time with the loud button pressed. It only gets loud at above 4K and for daily driving that doesn't happen often enough without intervention which does happen often enough that I rarely get the advertised MPG

Buying a 911 is emotional. Buying a Lexus is appliance shopping. I want to feel better about myself and was too afraid to get a penile implant surgery.
TMI buddy! Everyone who buys a 991.2 isn't buying it because of the exhaust. They have matured into the product because of age and disposable income. That is whats available at the time. For them and they are looking at the best alternative as well. The name in general carries some wieght in this regard. Porsche screems out success like no other car. Yes a Ferrari is more acceptable but the 911 is a status symbol for someone not reaching for the top but still wants to impress. Pse is one of the last things on there minds.
Old 10-25-2016, 08:03 PM
captainkirk
Pro

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

I love the pops, gurgles and crackling noises - that is the best part

I wish TT/S models get PSE
Old 10-25-2016, 10:00 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,371 Likes on 794 Posts

Originally Posted by R_Rated
I only read the first page of this thread admittedly but interesting that someone could possibly be embarrassed to be seen in an OEM 911... I could see someone with poor taste going to town on it with Autozone/NOPI modifications...

The sound is there in most high performance cars. You can thank Jaguar for really making it en vogue again... The sound is really un burnt gas in the exhaust. An engine is essentially an air pump - more air cycled through equals more power. Gas mixture needs to be a certain ratio to control the explosion that the air feeds. This is why when you force in the air (a la turbo) you cycle more air and make more power. Especially in a dry sump, high performance car like a 991.1, things happen very fast - we call this being responsive. Let off the throttle and it slows down the cycle very fast. The pop the remaining explosion which is amplified by certain exhaust designs. Open or closed valve - it's still going to be there.... and it is in fact awesome. Scientific fact that it's awesome, I googled it.
A 991.1 is not a dry sump and the tuning can easily manage to avoid excess fuel on the overrun
Old 10-26-2016, 01:46 PM
BJK
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm in the minority here, as I would also get rid of or significantly reduce the overrun if possible. And I have an AWE exhaust, so I'm certainly not looking for a quiet experience.

The pops feel contrived, IMO, on a car that otherwise seems so confident in its abilities. Hard acceleration produces the most wonderful sounds, then lift the throttle and "ehh...".

I'm on the fence about a Cobb accessport - if they could program out the overrun, it might put me over the edge.
Old 10-26-2016, 01:50 PM
Jbgill6535
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by BJK
I'm in the minority here, as I would also get rid of or significantly reduce the overrun if possible. And I have an AWE exhaust, so I'm certainly not looking for a quiet experience.

The pops feel contrived, IMO, on a car that otherwise seems so confident in its abilities. Hard acceleration produces the most wonderful sounds, then lift the throttle and "ehh...".

I'm on the fence about a Cobb accessport - if they could program out the overrun, it might put me over the edge.

I contacted COBB several weeks ago and inquired if the pops and crackles could be turned down a notch and was told that they have not looked into that feature but that it was also unlikely that it could be done. I also have the AWE switchpath and love the volume, but toning down the overruns a bit sometimes wouldn't be a bad thing.
Old 10-26-2016, 10:47 PM
Parnelli
Three Wheelin'

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

Those pops and crackles literally make me smile......every time!

What else in life can we say that about??
Old 10-26-2016, 10:55 PM
NOSUB2T
Racer

Received 69 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by Parnelli
Those pops and crackles literally make me smile......every time!

What else in life can we say that about??
Well.... If you really like rice crispies
Old 10-27-2016, 12:48 AM
Zeus993
Rennlist Member

Received 1,242 Likes on 573 Posts

I am late in on this thread. LESS pops and gurgles? What? Shut the PSE off?
Old 10-27-2016, 11:36 AM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,528 Likes on 1,575 Posts

Don't understand why there's so much negativity toward the OP.

He wants more volume from the PSE without all the pops. What's the fuss? I can understand if you like them, but also understand why you wouldn't.
Old 10-27-2016, 11:47 AM
Zeus993
Rennlist Member

Received 1,242 Likes on 573 Posts

Originally Posted by Needsdecaf

He wants more volume from the PSE without all the pops. What's the fuss? I can understand if you like them, but also understand why you wouldn't.
You are 100% right. Each to there own. All teasing aside, I think most of us "boy racers" at some time want more drama, more noise, a more visceral driving experience but after having that now for some time I too drive with the PSE off for less noise. It's all part of the experience. My 06 did not have a PSE and it took keeping the revs high hit that glorious howl in the M97 engine. It all, as with many things in life, comes down to power of choice.
Old 10-27-2016, 11:55 AM
Dan Nagy
Rennlist Member

Received 2,212 Likes on 1,114 Posts

Originally Posted by Zeus993
You are 100% right. Each to there own. All teasing aside, I think most of us "boy racers" at some time want more drama, more noise, a more visceral driving experience but after having that now for some time I too drive with the PSE off for less noise. It's all part of the experience. My 06 did not have a PSE and it took keeping the revs high hit that glorious howl in the M97 engine. It all, as with many things in life, comes down to power of choice.
I love a good exhaust note and is why I ordered the PSE. The induced pops and cackles don't excite me, but I'll see when I have the car in a few weeks. Somebody posted that it is the same each time - something like five pops and five cackles. That really could get on my nerves if it's true.
Old 10-27-2016, 12:16 PM
Gary JR
Rennlist Member

Received 158 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by Needsdecaf

I don't see that part.
Old 10-27-2016, 12:22 PM
pfan
Pro

Received 76 Likes on 45 Posts

With all the empty button spaces on the center console there's plenty of room for a "pops & cackles" selection. I often times want PSE on around town, but usually leave it off due to the excessive drama on deceleration. Similarily, I enjoy driving in Sports Plus, and fortunately have the option of defeating the rev-matching feature.
Old 10-27-2016, 12:27 PM
Al.Fresco
Three Wheelin'

Received 327 Likes on 187 Posts

Originally Posted by pfan
With all the empty button spaces on the center console there's plenty of room for a "pops & cackles" selection. I often times want PSE on around town, but usually leave it off due to the excessive drama on deceleration. Similarily, I enjoy driving in Sports Plus, and fortunately have the option of defeating the rev-matching feature.

The button.....

Quick Reply: Is it possible to program out the pops and crackling on decel w/ PSE?