Sponsored by:

Pending purchase thoughts

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2016, 07:00 PM
STG
Race Director

Received 193 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by Archimedes
But they're not and you just proved it. What's out there are just cars, with options that aren't perfect unless you just happen to be the type of person who doesn't really care and buys off the dealer lot. If you're looking for a generic Porsche or you're willing to compromise, you're fine. But if you have a few very specific wants, good luck.
The compromise is that you are a bit flexible which isn't that hard for most guys when they're saving $30-$70K off MSRP on nearly new 991's. Many of which have less than 15K miles.

I'd miss the $$ more than compromising on an option or two that in the big scope of things doesn't make much of a difference.

Many guys that order cars drive themselves nuts and then have regrets on what they should have ordered anyway. Same sh*t.
Old 09-14-2016, 07:17 PM
FiveRiversGTS
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Option #2.
Get a 2016 GTS now.
Doubt you would regret it.

If you decide later always easier to move into option 1 or 3.

I was in a similar situation last year trading out of an R8. Just wanted a Base for 100K, then found a 7MT S that was only 10K more so I opted for that. But after spending more and more time on the forum I decided it was a PDK GTS that suited my needs so I traded into the 2016 GTS with exactly every option I need which I found on the lot. Definitely feels like a keeper, but if not can easily get into the 991.2 if needed, the other way around seems more difficult.

Good Luck. Keep us posted.
Old 09-14-2016, 07:24 PM
Hurricane
Race Car

Received 653 Likes on 299 Posts

But they're not and you just proved it. What's out there are just cars, with options that aren't perfect unless you just happen to be the type of person who doesn't really care and buys off the dealer lot. If you're looking for a generic Porsche or you're willing to compromise, you're fine. But if you have a few very specific wants, good luck.
No, you misunderstood me, I found the perfect 911 for me. You will have to look a little harder! .

I'm keeping this one!
Old 09-14-2016, 07:29 PM
go.illini
Pro

Received 25 Likes on 7 Posts

Not to mention the expected markup on the 991.2 GTS when it first comes out.

Am I mistaken that it seems like base .2 cars are being discounted already?
Old 09-14-2016, 07:29 PM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,388 Likes on 2,509 Posts

I bet a nicely optioned 991.1 GTS (manual) will be an easy sell to 997.1 and 997.2 owners who start to move into the 991 platform in the coming years.
Old 09-14-2016, 07:33 PM
bluehorseshoe
Three Wheelin'

Received 444 Likes on 178 Posts

Link doesn't work, but I've searched Cars.com and Autotrader repeatedly and there's nothing even close. Hell, it's near impossible to even find a no sunroof car, much less all the other things I'd want. A new C4 makes much more sense to me, if I decide I want another car.
iPhone app is almost unusable.

Copy and paste this VIN into Google.
WP0AB2A94FS124227

'15 with less than 10k miles on the clock for roughly 30 percent off MSRP. Not sure of original price.

Sellers Notes: Pristine condition 4S in Rhodium Silver Metallic with PASM, PDK, PCCB, premium package, Bose audio, park assist, and sport chrono package. No sunroof. Garaged year round.

Old 09-14-2016, 07:52 PM
Keadog
Rennlist Member

Received 1,018 Likes on 612 Posts

I drove a 991.2 base MT last week and that's would I would get, for many of the reasons listed above.
It's impressive. Zero turbo lag and plenty fast for me on the street.
Not that it's worth the 20-30% hit if ADHD strikes, it sure is nice ordering exactly what you want on the car. I'm trying real hard to hang onto this Boxster...
Old 09-14-2016, 08:09 PM
subshooter
Rennlist Member

Received 2,142 Likes on 982 Posts

Originally Posted by LexVan
Hey don't get me started!!!!:

401K/Roth 401K maxed out....$24k.

These are toys. No one needs a Porsche.

Maxed out is actually 53k/year in a 401k.

Technically, it's a 401(a) named after the tax code of course but the same thing. Many large employers offer it and it is indistinguishable to the consumer from a 401(k). You can only deduct up to 24k (over 50) but all the other contributions above that grow tax deferred and your contributions above 24k are never taxed again since they already were taxed.

http://www.icmarc.org/for-plan-spons...on-limits.html

Since many of us are higher income levels, there is an additional way to contribute to a Roth IRA in addition to the 53k 401(a) limits despite the Roth income contribution limitations. It's a back door Roth IRA and legal (loop hole) : http://www.rothira.com/what-is-a-backdoor-roth-ira So technically maxing out is 53k + 6.5k (over 50) for a total of 59.5k/year.

Didn't mean to hijack. Just sharing. Agree no one needs a Porsche. But we don't need iPhones and color LED TVs either. It's good to be in America.

Last edited by subshooter; 09-14-2016 at 08:31 PM.
Old 09-14-2016, 08:17 PM
Hurricane
Race Car

Received 653 Likes on 299 Posts

You should definitely wait and order a 991.2 then.
Old 09-14-2016, 09:28 PM
Bemo
Drifting

Received 259 Likes on 170 Posts

Some of us would rather have the instant gratification. I couldn't resist the temptation!

Let me spite you with a pic so that you decide sooner than later.
Attached Images  
Old 09-14-2016, 10:09 PM
bluehorseshoe
Three Wheelin'

Received 444 Likes on 178 Posts

Speed Yellow GTS! Yes!! :reckon: Very nice, just wouldn't have the courage myself to own a yellow Porsche.
Looking through every source possible to find a GTS even considering Lava Orange. Found near perfect black 2016 but it has Aerokit CUP. Can't do it, destroys look of back end. I'm sure it's functional but 2 wings looks horrendous. Although I have to say the look of the Aerokit has grown on me.
Old 09-14-2016, 10:45 PM
NoGaBiker
Drifting

Received 228 Likes on 123 Posts

I've bought used after long searches, and new by ordering exactly what I wanted. Each approach has served its purpose at the time I was doing it; none were done out of indifference. There were times in my life when the money saved on an earlier but-still-low-miles car was more important than getting exactly what I wanted, and that was a great call. As I've moved up the tree, now getting exactly what I want (and sometimes more importantly, avoiding what I don't want) has become far more important to me.

But what I'll never understand is taking what some dealer ordered and essentially paying full price for a new car (or saving a few percent) rather than waiting a couple months and getting exactly what you want for the same price. For me, it makes sense to do one or the other; with so many very late-model, extremely low-mileage used cars at $30k+ off MSRP, if I'm going to settle for something that's not exactly what I wanted, then it's going to be in order to save a bunch of money. Not to avoid waiting for an order to be built.

But then, after being a Porsche guy for several decades, I have a well-formed idea of what that is, and it matters a lot to me. I guess I can see where, if you don't have strong opinions of what options matter, you'd be happier getting it now than waiting for it to be built.

I hate sunroofs and Enter-And-Drive key systems, and avoiding those options from dealer stock is really hard.
Old 09-14-2016, 10:55 PM
Bemo
Drifting

Received 259 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by bluehorseshoe
Speed Yellow GTS! Yes!! :reckon: Very nice, just wouldn't have the courage myself to own a yellow Porsche.
Looking through every source possible to find a GTS even considering Lava Orange. Found near perfect black 2016 but it has Aerokit CUP. Can't do it, destroys look of back end. I'm sure it's functional but 2 wings looks horrendous. Although I have to say the look of the Aerokit has grown on me.
I love the Racing Yellow but really wanted a Lava Orange. I'll be jealous if you score LO.
You'll know when the time comes and it's time to pull the trigger. I finished paying off the DD back in October and was going to "try" and live without car payments for 2-3 years.
Fast forward to April and I was sitting in a GTS.

Damned cars, they are lucky I like 'em so much.
Old 09-15-2016, 02:19 AM
Plimpington2
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've had a differing experience than some on this thread. This is my first - and to my mind it was SO MUCH money that I was unwilling to spend it unless I got just about exactly what I wanted. The irony is that this meant spending a bit more than I had originally planned. But I knew missing essential features would have been a constant irritant and ruined my enjoyment of the car.

Initially I bristled at being told I needed to spend extra $$$ on stuff I didn't want, but eventually the realities of what's sitting on American soil were unavoidable. For instance, I felt that 20" wheels were essential and reasonable at $1500. But getting what I otherwise wanted (MT, the color I wanted, a bunch of other stuff, etc) meant that my particular car had $3500 "911 Turbo wheels". They don't even look as good to me as the cheaper ones. But this particular build was the best set of compromises available (that I could find) in the here and now. Ultimately it is $110,000 worth of stuff I wanted and $6000 worth of stuff I don't. In the end the balance was tolerable. On the other hand, if it had cost me $107,000, and was MISSING $3000 worth of something I felt was essentially (like keyless entry - I can't go back, I just can't!), to my mind I'd have wasted $107,000. Not really. . . But kinda.

This experience has taught me one thing tho . . . If I end up loving this car, my next one will be ordered direct to my exact spec about 6 months prior to getting rid of the current one. That seems to be the best way to manage this process.

Judd

Old 09-15-2016, 02:34 AM
mdrobc1213
Rennlist Member

Received 721 Likes on 391 Posts

Originally Posted by Plimpington2
I've had a differing experience than some on this thread. This is my first - and to my mind it was SO MUCH money that I was unwilling to spend it unless I got just about exactly what I wanted. The irony is that this meant spending a bit more than I had originally planned. But I knew missing essential features would have been a constant irritant and ruined my enjoyment of the car.

Initially I bristled at being told I needed to spend extra $$$ on stuff I didn't want, but eventually the realities of what's sitting on American soil were unavoidable. For instance, I felt that 20" wheels were essential and reasonable at $1500. But getting what I otherwise wanted (MT, the color I wanted, a bunch of other stuff, etc) meant that my particular car had $3500 "911 Turbo wheels". They don't even look as good to me as the cheaper ones. But this particular build was the best set of compromises available (that I could find) in the here and now. Ultimately it is $110,000 worth of stuff I wanted and $6000 worth of stuff I don't. In the end the balance was tolerable. On the other hand, if it had cost me $107,000, and was MISSING $3000 worth of something I felt was essentially (like keyless entry - I can't go back, I just can't!), to my mind I'd have wasted $107,000. Not really. . . But kinda.

This experience has taught me one thing tho . . . If I end up loving this car, my next one will be ordered direct to my exact spec about 6 months prior to getting rid of the current one. That seems to be the best way to manage this process.

Judd
OP..this guys last paragraph says it all and is a key point others have said throughout your thread. Best way to get what you really want and love and enjoy in the car is to custom order it yourself. I've done all the above off the lot new, off the lot used, and custom ordered and I must say I NEVER had a problem with any vehicle I built myself (including an M3 and a Cayman recently). Cars had what I needed, did not have what I didn't want and were up-gradable according to how I wanted at a later date even. So a lot is to be said for that choice. If you're that type of guy/owner who would just always wonder or be pissed missing option x or option y then place and order and endure the short wait. If not then as others said there is a car out there for you new or used CPO you just have to do enough research and drive enough cars so you are 1) very knowledgeable as to what options are what and what they are worth/mean and 2) know what you want and is in your target range and shop accordingly.

If it were me I'd either order a new 991.2 base [enuf car for most US owners driving requirements[ or maybe a 991.2 S if you need the additional power and options and badge. OR find a nice CPO 991.1 GTS that covers your needs/bases. As for color...you can always get it wrapped in Lava Orange if you find the right car....like others have said its out there somewhere.

I do think however talking to my SA friends and a few sales managers that your 991.2 GTS search is still about 1yr out and you won't see it announced until 2018 MY. Same thing happened last summer about this time...asked about a Macan GTS after driving a Macan Turbo and Macan S for the wife and my SA didn't have any hard info but rumor had it something would come later into the year and viola Macan GTS announced I think like Oct/Nov 2015...deliveries avail for Spring production...at a premium mind you I believe it was. So you'll hear a GTS announced I'd say/think in the Spring auto shows and debuted for a delivery maybe just maybe next Fall in the Oct/Nov time frame...best case scenario would be my guess. Good Luck and let us know what you choose to do...and post pics of course!

Quick Reply: Pending purchase thoughts