Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to make .1 S more dynamic and agile?

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2016, 05:38 PM
TPC Racing
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 58 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by Larry Cable
Vise the TPC kit only comes with front DLs apparently and reuses the OEM on the rear of I were doing this with the tarett kit I'd do both...
Correct, this needs to be more clear on the website. We do offer the drop links for the rear; it's just no necessary for fitment.

Email: info@tpcracing.com
Phone: (410)799-7223
Facebook | Youtube
2023 Porsche Sprint Challenge Champions
2021 Porsche Sprint Challenge Champions
2016 IMSA GT3 Cup Challenge Champions
2013 IMSA GT3 Cup Challenge Champions
2006 Grand Am Rolex 24hr of Daytona GT Winner

Old 08-09-2016, 05:47 PM
Tom@TPC Racing
Rennlist Member

Received 914 Likes on 514 Posts

There are some great advice here on this thread from seasoned members; From sportier tire compound, to more aggressive alignment, to TPC adjustable sway bars, DSC module, to Elephant Racing monoballs. All good stuff. Each one item or combination of a number of items will improve the driving experience. To what degree of improvement depends on the combination, your goal and your budget. Some of my customers go all in and do all of the above plus coilovers and GT3 control arms. While most start with the most ideal tire for the goal, custom alignment for the intended usage, sway bars and DSC. These four items will really transform the car. And other items can be added on as stages of improvement until the user's goal is met.

Just a few things I'd like to clear up-

1) OEM GT3 front bar will fit C2's but requires adjustable front drop links(most brands will work). But the fitment is not perfect because OEM GT3 bar is designed originally for use with GT3 uprights. Using non-GT uprights will cause an increase in angle of misalignment for the drop links. Again, it fits. It just loads up the bar differently with the angled link. Which is why we, TPC Racing, made front bars that have the same stiffness range but designed for use with non-GT uprights, and we have 5 closely spaced adjustment holes instead of 3 wider spaced holes.

2) OEM GT3 rear is not even close to fitting non-GT3 991.1 cars. Maybe will fit on .2's but haven't tried to fit one yet. We made a 4-hole adjustable rear sway for non-GT 991.1 cars for this reason. The stiffness range covers the OEM GT3 range. TPC rear bar uses OEM 991.1 rear links.

3) This generation of PDCC uses a hydraulically operated shaft that is used as drop link to load/unload the bar. For example at lower vehicle speed over bump roads the bars are completely unloaded and just along for the ride. DSC will help in this case since the user can custom tune the DSC mapping to achieve the stiffness via the dampers at low speeds to the ride more sporty than comfy. I'm not sure if PDCC can be disabled without causing CAN(Control Area Network) conflicts though.

4) From my experience working with race teams and many development projects over the years, in general a one-hole sway bar change makes more of an impact on the balance/feel of a car than 2-3 clicks on a conventional compression/rebound adjustable coilover. But they do different things; one primarily changes the weight distribution diagnostically across the car, while the other primarily changes damping for individuality corner of the car. They do have some crossover functions though. Of course there are exceptions for very individual applications such as on car that are factory under-damped or overly bar'ed, but in general, for 991/981/997/987 bars do more than coilovers since the OEM shocks for this generation of cars are superior to previous gen cars. Most people who change shocks, springs, or coilovers, bushings subsequently put a more aggressive alignment and improve the suspension geometry on their cars so the parts themselves cannot take credit for all of the improvement.

We currently have a 991.1 project at the shop that we are replacing rubber suspension bushings with monoballs. We will start a thread with the details once we are caught up.

So, OP, you have lots of options should you decide to work with this platform.

Last edited by Tom@TPC Racing; 08-10-2016 at 10:06 AM. Reason: grammar corrections
Old 08-09-2016, 05:47 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,441 Likes on 2,248 Posts

Originally Posted by TPC Racing
Correct, this needs to be more clear on the website. We do offer the drop links for the rear; it's just no necessary for fitment.
I figured as much!
Old 08-09-2016, 05:51 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Tom-TPC Racing
There are some great advice here on this thread from seasoned members; From sportier tire compound, to more aggressive alignment, to TPC adjustable sway bars, DSC module, to Elephant Racing monoballs. All good stuff. Each one item or combination of a number of items will improve the driving experience. To what degree of improvement depends on the combination, your goal and your budget. Some of my customers go all in and do all of the above plus coilovers and GT3 control arms. While most starts with the most ideal tire for the goal, custom alignment for the intended usage, sway bars and DSC. These four items will really transform the car. And other items can be added on as stages of improvement until the user's goal is met.

Just a few things I'd like to clear up-

1) OEM GT3 front bar will fit C2's but requires adjustable front drop links(most brands will work). But the fitment is not perfect because OEM GT3 bar is designed originally for use with GT3 uprights. Using non-GT uprights will cause an increase in angle of misalignment for the drop links. Again, it fits. It just loads up the bar differently with the angled link. Which is why we, TPC Racing, made front bars that have the same stiffness range but designed for use with non-GT uprights, and we have 5 closely spaced adjustment holes instead of 3 wider spaced holes.
good to know!

2) OEM GT3 rear is not even close to fitting non-GT3 991.1 cars. Maybe will fit on .2's but haven't tried to fit one yet. We made a 4-hole adjustable rear sway for non-GT 991.1 cars for this reason. The stiffness range covers the OEM GT3 range. TPC rear bar uses OEM 991.1 rear links.
very good to know!

3) This generation of PDDC uses a hydraulically operated shaft that is used the drop link to load/unload the bar. For example at lower vehicle speed over bump roads the bars are completely unloaded and just along for the ride. DSC will help in this case since the user can custom tune the DSC mapping to achieve the stiffness via the dampers at low speeds to the ride more sporty than comfy. I'm not sure if PDDC can be disabled without causing CAN(Control Area Network) conflicts though.

4) From my experience working with race teams and many development projects over the years, in general a one-hole sway bar change makes more of an impact on the balance of a car than 3-4 clicks on a conventional compression/rebound adjustable coilover. But they do different things; one primary changes the weight distribution diagnostically across the car, while the other primarily changes damping for individuality corner of the car. Of course there are exceptions for very individual applications such as on car that are factory under-damped or overly bar'ed, but in general, for 991/981/997/987 bars do more than coilovers since the OEM shocks for this generation of cars are superior to previous gen cars. Most people who change shocks, springs, or coilovers, bushings subsequently put a more aggressive alignment and improve the suspension geometry on their cars so the parts themselves cannot take credit for all of the improvement.

We currently have a 991.1 project at the shop that we are replacing rubber suspension bushings with monoballs. We will start a thread with the details once we are caught up.

So, OP, you have lots of options should you decide with work with this platform.
very cool! personally I think that DSC pretty much eliminates the need for PDCC ... YMMV
Old 08-09-2016, 06:56 PM
MagicRat
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

I would love to drive a DSC PDCC car and a DSC non-PDCC car back to back! DSC has certainly made my PDCC cab feel much better, but whether that's because it's interacting with PDCC or just getting in there before it I guess I'll never know!

I did get out of the Spyder and back into the 911 this evening and think how wonderfully magic-carpet like and comfortable the 911 is though, so maybe my suspended pram wheels are doing something
Old 08-09-2016, 07:20 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by MagicRat
I would love to drive a DSC PDCC car and a DSC non-PDCC car back to back! DSC has certainly made my PDCC cab feel much better, but whether that's because it's interacting with PDCC or just getting in there before it I guess I'll never know!
its the former, PDCC and PASM are separate systems and controllers, so the DSC is intervening before PDCC is...

Originally Posted by MagicRat
I did get out of the Spyder and back into the 911 this evening and think how wonderfully magic-carpet like and comfortable the 911 is though, so maybe my suspended pram wheels are doing something
its the pram wheels ... everyone thinks the 'P' in PDCC stands for Porsche, but in fact it stands for 'Pram-like'
Old 08-09-2016, 08:34 PM
Vise
Drifting

Received 313 Likes on 191 Posts

While most starts with the most ideal tire for the goal, custom alignment for the intended usage, sway bars and DSC. These four items will really transform the car.
This is great to hear as it is the exact path I went down... glad to hear you feel those 4 changes in conjunction will have the biggest impact.

I also did Pagid yellow pads and a brake fluid change so should be interesting to see how that works on the track this weekend... for now all I'm getting it a whole bunch of squeaking from running track pads around town. Hopefully 2 days at Calabogie help fix that issue.
Old 08-09-2016, 09:31 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Vise
This is great to hear as it is the exact path I went down... glad to hear you feel those 4 changes in conjunction will have the biggest impact.

I also did Pagid yellow pads and a brake fluid change so should be interesting to see how that works on the track this weekend... for now all I'm getting it a whole bunch of squeaking from running track pads around town. Hopefully 2 days at Calabogie help fix that issue.
you can try a pad bedding procedure like those detailed here: https://zeckhausen.com/catalog/index...Path=6446_6443

but I think you will find that the yellows especially when cold (usual when street driving) and/or when threshold braking squeal like an 18 wheeler

Did the installer replace the anti-vibe plates on the back of the pads do you know?
Old 08-09-2016, 09:52 PM
Vise
Drifting

Received 313 Likes on 191 Posts

Originally Posted by Larry Cable
you can try a pad bedding procedure like those detailed here: https://zeckhausen.com/catalog/index...Path=6446_6443

but I think you will find that the yellows especially when cold (usual when street driving) and/or when threshold braking squeal like an 18 wheeler

Did the installer replace the anti-vibe plates on the back of the pads do you know?
Yeah I've thought about the bedding in procedure but figure I can do it this weekend at the track... it is a private club weekend so it should be fairly quiet with lots of solo time out there.

Plus living in the city I have no idea where I could safely follow that bedding in procedure without driving way out into the sticks.
Old 08-10-2016, 12:23 PM
RichAA
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

...We currently have a 991.1 project at the shop that we are replacing rubber suspension bushings with monoballs. We will start a thread with the details once we are caught up.

So, OP, you have lots of options should you decide to work with this platform.

Thanks for these posts, Tom. Very interesting. Will look forward to your thread!

Quick Reply: How to make .1 S more dynamic and agile?