Front bumper damage Question???

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2016, 12:15 PM
Chris C.
Rennlist Member

Received 525 Likes on 277 Posts

Originally Posted by mdrobc1213
STG.
Thanks man...appreciate it. Akra is great and sound is wonderbah! LOL Took it thru one of the tunnels going to McCarren and hit the PSE and listened to it bounce off the walls. Awesome sound!

Glass roof retrofit is interesting mod. Its a simple direct bolt on retrofit for the metal sunroof. I have it now sitting in my garage right now. BUT in order to do so you lose the rolling/motorized sunshade that comes with the OEM factory option moon roof. That may make such a change out non-palatable to some owners but I was okay with it. I had them go back to their detail shop and they added 5% nano and ceramic tint to the sunroof and it blocks out a great portion of the heat and filters some of the sunlight here in AZ. So its a worthwhile mod I think for me and one that I will enjoy. Also its reversible....easy bolt on to get it back to OEM sunroof as it came from the factory. Cost...not cheap. Glass roof from Porsche is about $2k and labor was just under 2hrs total charged to get the old one released, original seals removed and then motors serviced and the new one attached and new seals done.

Now to contemplate GT3 mirror swap or not and the GTS black rear engine cooling assembly. Hmm.....do I just paint mine of go for the OEM retro GTS ones?
Sorry about the bumper basher...my 997.2 was backed into in a hotel lot too. Very frustrating! Good luck and get a good body shop!

Nice work on the roof! Something I might consider...any squeaks or rattles so far? That's not expensive at all really for a major mod...if you price the sport design front cover you'll see the part alone *discounted* is $2100!
Old 07-27-2016, 01:59 PM
mdrobc1213
Rennlist Member

Received 721 Likes on 391 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris C.
Sorry about the bumper basher...my 997.2 was backed into in a hotel lot too. Very frustrating! Good luck and get a good body shop! Nice work on the roof! Something I might consider...any squeaks or rattles so far? That's not expensive at all really for a major mod...if you price the sport design front cover you'll see the part alone *discounted* is $2100!
No squeaks/jitters or issues so far with the moonroof. Looking for the 1st rain though to make sure the seals hold but in AZ that can be far in between. They replace the entire sunroof seals when they swap them out. Looks OEM like it came with the car and very pleased especially with the nano-ceramic tint. Best mod so far outside the Akra exhaust! PM me for more info/questions if you like. CF interior trim goes in this week as a DIY!

Yeah just got the estimate and looks like they're trying to do a bumper repair versus replacement from the cost estimate. $3k so far is what they're estimating. Hell the headlight replacement alone is around $1400! Hood alignment noted but no front fender alignment noted. No mention of paint/prep for a bumper respray, no mention of replacing my clear bra front bumper and hood, and hopefully no additional damage below/behind the cover to things like headlight washer system etc! I think they want me to accept a bumper compound and respray job...ah nope!

Granted this was just the initial estimate and done with nobody seeing the car in person. Today's mobile age seems now that everything is done remote including auto estimates...last accident my wife had in 2009 that requires a claim we had to bring the car in and they did it in person at the shop! No texts, posts, emails! Technology is fine but I do how you can actually get a good estimate via photos texted over! Technology. But yeah I will be speaking to the shop about the initial estimate and supplementals will likely follow!
Old 07-27-2016, 03:02 PM
STG
Race Director

Received 193 Likes on 137 Posts

STG.
Thanks man...appreciate it. Akra is great and sound is wonderbah! LOL Took it thru one of the tunnels going to McCarren and hit the PSE and listened to it bounce off the walls. Awesome sound!

Glass roof retrofit is interesting mod. Its a simple direct bolt on retrofit for the metal sunroof. I have it now sitting in my garage right now. BUT in order to do so you lose the rolling/motorized sunshade that comes with the OEM factory option moon roof. That may make such a change out non-palatable to some owners but I was okay with it. I had them go back to their detail shop and they added 5% nano and ceramic tint to the sunroof and it blocks out a great portion of the heat and filters some of the sunlight here in AZ. So its a worthwhile mod I think for me and one that I will enjoy. Also its reversible....easy bolt on to get it back to OEM sunroof as it came from the factory. Cost...not cheap. Glass roof from Porsche is about $2k and labor was just under 2hrs total charged to get the old one released, original seals removed and then motors serviced and the new one attached and new seals done.

Now to contemplate GT3 mirror swap or not and the GTS black rear engine cooling assembly. Hmm.....do I just paint mine of go for the OEM retro GTS ones?
How about the pieces in front and behind the glass? Are the new ones black gloss plastic? Seem like it.
Old 07-27-2016, 03:03 PM
STG
Race Director

Is this the offender?? DUH, what happened here I was in a hurry to get donuts.

Old 07-27-2016, 04:02 PM
mb1
Rennlist Member

Received 197 Likes on 116 Posts

I agree with previous posters. Other cars (and trucks) have a hard time seeing our low cars. About a year ago, I was stopped at a light adjacent to a truck, which had exited the highway and was on my back left. He didn't see me. After the light turned green, he proceeded to literally merge into my car. The extended bolts on his passenger front wheel dug right into the rear of my car, Ben Hur style. Nauseating sound. Pop pop pop as it slowly sheared the body, fender and wheel of my car.
I'm far more cognizant about where I'm driving relative to trucks than I was before the event.
Attached Images  
Old 07-27-2016, 04:39 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

Sorry to read about your misfortune.

My WAG is a new bumper cover will be needed. A complication is that some colors -- those with metal flake -- are hard to match/blend and a shop might want to blend the paint along both fenders and the front trunk lid.

The repair costs goes up. 'course the other driver's insurance is paying for this so that's what he gets for not paying attention.

Next the fender looks to be out of position relative to the trunk lid. That's not good in that it is a sign the shelf that runs along side the front trunk to which the fender bolts is bent. This will have to put back into position. This requires the be placed on a Celette Bench and the proper location of the shelf determined and the shelf moved back into its proper location so the fender to trunk lid gaps are correct.

This is not a repair job for the kid down the street who paints cars after school. Seek out the best Porsche body/paint shop in town to have this work done. The shop will of course inspect the car and partially dismantle it -- remove the bumper cover at least -- in order to make a more accurate estimate of the damage.
Old 07-28-2016, 02:06 AM
mdrobc1213
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by STG
How about the pieces in front and behind the glass? Are the new ones black gloss plastic? Seem like it.
STG,..pieces are OEM. Detail shop wrapped them then added a clear bra for protection. OEM ones are gloss black panels which are bonded to the car during production I believe.
Originally Posted by STG
Is this the offender?? DUH, what happened here I was in a hurry to get donuts.

Ha! Yes it is!
Originally Posted by mb1
I agree with previous posters. Other cars (and trucks) have a hard time seeing our low cars. About a year ago, I was stopped at a light adjacent to a truck, which had exited the highway and was on my back left. He didn't see me. After the light turned green, he proceeded to literally merge into my car. The extended bolts on his passenger front wheel dug right into the rear of my car, Ben Hur style. Nauseating sound. Pop pop pop as it slowly sheared the body, fender and wheel of my car.
I'm far more cognizant about where I'm driving relative to trucks than I was before the event.
OMG...am so sorry for you. I'd be in tears! Yikes!
Originally Posted by Macster
Sorry to read about your misfortune.

My WAG is a new bumper cover will be needed. A complication is that some colors -- those with metal flake -- are hard to match/blend and a shop might want to blend the paint along both fenders and the front trunk lid.

The repair costs goes up. 'course the other driver's insurance is paying for this so that's what he gets for not paying attention.

Next the fender looks to be out of position relative to the trunk lid. That's not good in that it is a sign the shelf that runs along side the front trunk to which the fender bolts is bent. This will have to put back into position. This requires the be placed on a Celette Bench and the proper location of the shelf determined and the shelf moved back into its proper location so the fender to trunk lid gaps are correct.

This is not a repair job for the kid down the street who paints cars after school. Seek out the best Porsche body/paint shop in town to have this work done. The shop will of course inspect the car and partially dismantle it -- remove the bumper cover at least -- in order to make a more accurate estimate of the damage.
Macaster. Estimate is $3200 and 4 days to fix. With only the left light replaced. Everything else was "repair and fix" which I disagree with. They did get the hood alignment part on there but they're like budgeting $400 for paint? Really? Shyt a front bumper re-spray costs at least twice that in itself w/clear coat. Also have a clear bra on whole front end/fenders and mirrors which wasn't even mentioned. I sent them back a short message to expect supplementals and a big argument IF they don't fix it back correctly! What also about Diminished value? Should I be asking for that as well in your opinion?

Car is going into the Porsche dealer's certified Body Shop NOT the one's recommended by his insurance so it will get fixed by someone who has a clue Thanks for the WAG tho...
Old 07-28-2016, 09:07 AM
STG
Race Director

STG,..pieces are OEM. Detail shop wrapped them then added a clear bra for protection. OEM ones are gloss black panels which are bonded to the car during production I believe.

Great info. That's what I thought. Thanks
Old 07-29-2016, 12:40 AM
mdrobc1213
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by STG
Great info. That's what I thought. Thanks
Could probably swap out an OME set of front/rear panels but I think the effort to remove them and re-bond the new ones to the roof would be a bit much. Same reason why I couldn't totally retrofit an OEM moonroof with rolling sunshade track as it would involve cracking open and disassembly of the entire roof assembly and some wiring for motors/etc that do not necessarily come with the OEM sunroof car.

By just doing the direct swap out to the moonroof and wrap and tint to the panels and roof...I have the same effect from the outside and really I don't miss the ability to close the roller sunshade which is transparent to some degree. I accomplish its role [sun/heat reflection and minimizing interior light) with the additional ceramic nano tint application.
Old 02-21-2018, 01:09 AM
mdrobc1213
Rennlist Member

For those who wondered what ever happened. Repairs ended up totaling a bit under $9k as a good amount of items under the hood and fender were shifted out of alignment by this guy backing up and torquing over my the drivers side of my front end with his 10+ year old jeep! Jesus just to get out of line in a parking gate from a lot he was NOT suppose to be parked at in the 1st place as a contracted employee of the Bellagio (he should have been parked in the employee lot I was told..much farther walk). Anyway they had to realign the front end of the trunk, lights, bumper assembly, and driver's door as well realign the front end and also replace the light assembly then repaint and blend the left side as well as reapply my front bra to the hood, mirrors, and fender! I did take the opportunity to upgrade to the Sports Design Bumper and luckily my 3rd radiator kit which I had just gotten installed was not damaged either. Pics attached....

Old 02-21-2018, 01:18 AM
Holli82
Rennlist Member

Received 51 Likes on 22 Posts

Next time park at my place and UBER to the strip.
Old 02-21-2018, 09:17 AM
Hurricane
Race Car

Received 653 Likes on 299 Posts

Looks like a great repair! So sorry this happened to you. These threads are very upsetting. I could feel your pain, just re-reading it!
Old 02-22-2018, 01:29 AM
mdrobc1213
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Holli82
Next time park at my place and UBER to the strip.
Ha! If I can borrow the GTS then I think we may have a deal! LOL
Old 02-22-2018, 09:46 PM
TheMule
Track Day

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Agree with everyone about not being able to be seen. I had a blue hair damn near take out the front of my Ferrari not 2 miles from the dealership after purchase. Lot's of close calls in the P cars over the years but only had one of them backed into just like the OP about 30 years ago. You really have to drive for yourself and anticipate for the clueless wonders around you.

Quick Reply: Front bumper damage Question???