2 year service cost?

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2016, 11:29 AM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,413 Likes on 2,516 Posts

Originally Posted by Hurricane
I go in for the four year service in June *gulp*
$1,200-ish. Plugs, and engine filters make up most of the difference from the 2-year service.
Old 05-28-2016, 11:34 AM
Al.Fresco
Three Wheelin'

Received 332 Likes on 190 Posts

Originally Posted by LexVan
$1,200-ish. Plugs, and engine filters make up most of the difference from the 2-year service.
A while back when I was looking for ballpark dealership cost for various service intervals, I came across this PDF which outlines stuff pretty well. Realizing of course actual costs will vary by dealership.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf
911_Service_Brochure.pdf (738.0 KB, 178 views)
Old 05-28-2016, 01:59 PM
Jvmorrow
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Fasttr
A while back when I was looking for ballpark dealership cost for various service intervals, I came across this PDF which outlines stuff pretty well. Realizing of course actual costs will vary by dealership.

Nice find, my 20k service was about the same as that sheet, so good to know.
Old 05-29-2016, 06:13 PM
Madisongy
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Plug Replacement

Dealer mentioned to me that they had to pull the engine to change the plugs. I have not seen any DIY info on plug replacements for the 991, so not sure if that's right or not. My sales guy was certainly no expert.
I was a foreign car mechanic for years when I was younger, and have always worked on my own vehicles since then. Porsche allows owners to service their own cars without voiding the warranty, so figure I will handle at least the oil changes.
Old 05-29-2016, 06:37 PM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,413 Likes on 2,516 Posts

Originally Posted by Madisongy
Dealer mentioned to me that they had to pull the engine to change the plugs. I have not seen any DIY info on plug replacements for the 991, so not sure if that's right or not.
Your dealer is wrong. Engine stays. Rear bumper is removed to replace engine filters and better access to plugs.
Old 05-29-2016, 11:43 PM
CSK 911 C4S
Rennlist Member

Received 857 Likes on 432 Posts

Dealer mentioned to me that they had to pull the engine to change the plugs. I have not seen any DIY info on plug replacements for the 991, so not sure if that's right or not. My sales guy was certainly no expert.

The person who told you that needs to go back to selling pots at BB&B and get out of the car business. I like sales folks who know their brand inside and out.

Replacing plugs are pretty straight forward for the DIY'er. Do a search. There's a few write ups about doing the 40K maintenance.

Here's mine:
https://rennlist.com/forums/991/9084...d-tonight.html
Old 05-30-2016, 08:32 AM
Madisongy
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by CSK 911 C4S

The person who told you that needs to go back to selling pots at BB&B and get out of the car business. I like sales folks who know their brand inside and out.

Replacing plugs are pretty straight forward for the DIY'er. Do a search. There's a few write ups about doing the 40K maintenance.

Here's mine:
https://rennlist.com/forums/991/9084...d-tonight.html
Outstanding. Thanks for the info. Great pics by the way.....gotta check them out in more detail when I get home. Are you following a manual or just common mechanical sense?. Looks like you've got an excellent facility for doing your repairs. Excellent that Porsche allows enthusiasts with some mechanical aptitude to do the maintenance. I enjoy it and I'd rather rely on my own meticulous work for this. Dealer is welcome to any warranty repairs.
Old 05-30-2016, 04:38 PM
CSK 911 C4S
Rennlist Member

Received 857 Likes on 432 Posts

Outstanding. Thanks for the info. Great pics by the way.....gotta check them out in more detail when I get home. Are you following a manual or just common mechanical sense?. Looks like you've got an excellent facility for doing your repairs. Excellent that Porsche allows enthusiasts with some mechanical aptitude to do the maintenance. I enjoy it and I'd rather rely on my own meticulous work for this. Dealer is welcome to any warranty repairs.
I did some research online, read some DIY's for the 997/996 just to get an idea, talked to my tech a time or two leading up to the 40K mark, and chatted with a forum member who also DIY's. It was actually fun to do. I started late (insomnia) and worked until early morning.

BTW the car needs to be very cool to get to the plugs. Working in and around all the exhaust piping.... you could loose a bit of flesh if the car is to warm so do the oil change either 1st and wait a while for the engine to cool or do it last after the car's all buttoned back up.

The only tool I made sure I had before starting was the 3/8 to 3/8 swivel joint and the lockable extensions are a must to keep the spark plug socket on when diving deep into the engine to retrieve the plugs.

Quick Reply: 2 year service cost?