Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just listed my 3.8 GTS in rl classifieds

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2016, 01:53 AM
Tangerine
Pro

Received 126 Likes on 72 Posts

I was also thinking of selling mine (priced where it would be easy to part with) but have just about decided to keep it for good. (not super practical day to day for my current juggle of work and kids) Some people wondered about the price, so we got into looking for one for comparison...and they simply do not exist. If you want a 991.1 GTS the pickings are VERY slim, basically you have leftovers with configs that didn't sell for whatever reason.

I'm sure the OP is not trying to convince anyone to get this car if they don't want it. It's simply supply and demand. If you want his config, use "the interwebs" to find a similar one for sale cheaper, I bet you can't. Post a link if you do so you can prove your point, but again I bet you won't be able to find a link to post, proving my point these cars just aren't out there.

In 2 years when 991.1 GTS cars come off lease? Absolutely you will see some deals then. If you can wait, and like cars owned by people who treated it knowing it was a lease and not a long term car, that's perfect for you. But again, if you want a GTS right now, and are picky at all about how it's configured, there is hardly anything out there. (also don't forget that ordered cars show up in search databases, many of them are not actually available)

Also Gus, there were limits on allocations. Not tight as the GT4 (was), but they are less common. The 4 variants were hard to get an allocation for. All configs locked last October I think?

A big difference now is the reviews are coming in for the 991.2 cars. Many people I'm sure will prefer the new cars with the mini-turbo. But some percentage of people are not happy, and want a NA engine. And they want the best, which leads to a GTS...then we're back at supply and demand.
Old 04-27-2016, 02:17 AM
Porsche911GTS'16
Drifting

Received 1,201 Likes on 579 Posts

For those of you looking for a new 2016 GTS that looks pretty reasonably configured, I found this listing at Porsche of Long Beach:

https://circle.porschedealer.com/new...18286/info.php
Old 04-27-2016, 02:27 AM
96redLT4
Rennlist Member

Received 308 Likes on 175 Posts

I think a little over MSRP is reasonable for this car/configuration. Maybe a little early yet to be fully appreciated for what it is.
Jim
Old 04-27-2016, 02:54 AM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,976 Likes on 919 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr. Satan
Hmmm. $125,000 minus $6250(5% discount should have been no problem on new purchase of this car) leaves $118750 before tax. Go to dealership and buy your own new one! Lol. These people trying to flip cars for full msrp plus sales tax plus mods are crazy. New cars lose around 20% as soon as you drive them off the lot.
except when it they don't.. a NorCal dealer was selling a manual GTS used for over sticker a few weeks ago... the turbo cars are changing things a bit.
Old 04-27-2016, 06:34 AM
Chris3963
Rennlist Member

Received 1,091 Likes on 386 Posts

Curious that you guys in the USA are paying over MSRP for 991.1 GTSs.

To give you some international perspective, I just bought my month 3 old, lightly used, fully loaded, demo GTS4 Cab from a Porsche dealer for 25,000 euro under MSRP. Bargain!
Old 04-27-2016, 06:57 AM
Dr. Satan
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by CAlexio
except when it they don't.. a NorCal dealer was selling a manual GTS used for over sticker a few weeks ago... the turbo cars are changing things a bit.
You mean a Norcal dealer was ASKING over sticker for a used gts last week. Also California is Porsche's largest market in the world and is not representative of the rest of the US.

Just out of curiosity I looked up trade in and private party values on a 2015 911 gts on kbb. (They did not have values on a 2016 yet). Anyway $106,000 to $108,000.

Even paying an outrageous price for one of these used at a dealership should at least get a person cpo and 6 years of warranty.
Old 04-27-2016, 09:22 AM
Gus_Smedstad
Burning Brakes

Received 58 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by MrGreen
It's simply supply and demand. If you want his config, use "the interwebs" to find a similar one for sale cheaper, I bet you can't.
You're assuming there's a demand, when the evidence is very much that there isn't. There aren't that many manual cars out there because people don't order them. It's not like manual transmissions are limited allocations like GT3's. Anyone with the money could have ordered one for the last 4 years.

You and the seller are looking for a unicorn buyer. One who:

* Thinks there's something wrong with 991.2's. I personally don't. Anyone who wants a 991.2 manual transmission GTS can order one right now for less, and they'll get the exact set of options they want.

* Considers ~6000 miles to be "high mileage," since I see 3 used manual GTS's on autotrader and 2 via the Porsche used car locator that qualify. One of which is a FSBO like the OP's with 1200 miles that's been reduced in price to $111k because it hasn't sold.

* Has some problem with the options on the new, unpunched 2016 manual GTS's out there. Those are a bit more difficult to search for, since Porsche doesn't provide a tool and most aren't on Autotrader. There are 3 I see on Autotrader, and a couple I found on Porsche dealer sites via google.

* Want a GTS specifically. If you open up the search to S's, which are just as much car for most buyers, there are over 100 manuals available.

The "his configuration" restriction you mention is extremely problematic with Porsches. Almost every car is unique in some way, and you're assuming that your unicorn buyer wants the options on this car beyond the manual transmission. Odds are they want some option not on the car, or don't care about some option he did get. Or they simply want some other color configuration, which is the most common issue.
Old 04-27-2016, 01:50 PM
jimbo1111
Banned

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts

So you've managed to locate 6 cars in the whole country with a 7 speed. You wouldn't call that a bit exclusive?
Old 04-27-2016, 01:58 PM
Dr. Satan
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jimbo1111
So you've managed to locate 6 cars in the whole country with a 7 speed. You wouldn't call that a bit exclusive?
Not really considering the market for these things. Gus casually found 6 gts with 7 speeds. A 2016 911 is not a rare commodity. Porsche has already established the top of the market. That's called msrp.
Old 04-27-2016, 02:12 PM
jimbo1111
Banned

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr. Satan
Not really considering the market for these things. Gus casually found 6 gts with 7 speeds. A 2016 911 is not a rare commodity. Porsche has already established the top of the market. That's called msrp.
I believe it's bin posted here on Rennlist that approximately 1600 GTS'S were built between 2015 and 2016. The ordering window was one year. From those 1600 maybe 20% are manual. I'm getting the feeling that your lumping them into the regular carrera line. That's actually not a fare representation. The car is more exclusive than one would thing. It's total numbers may even be lower than that of GT4s. Gt4 will be in production again with a new set of allocations. So for those not able to get a 911R this is a great compromise. 97% of the performance at half the price.
Old 04-27-2016, 03:03 PM
Grunty
Burning Brakes

Received 14 Likes on 6 Posts

I would be pleasantly surprised if he can sell his car for anywhere close to MSRP. But, maybe things have changed. I suspect that it will take a number of years for NA GTS cars to become desirable enough to justify that kind of ask.
Old 04-27-2016, 03:07 PM
Grunty
Burning Brakes

Received 14 Likes on 6 Posts

The R is a lot more than just a more powerful GTS. Transmission, suspension, engine, interior, bodywork etc are all significantly different. I'd love to think they are comparable, but they really aren't. Not saying one is better, though.
Old 04-27-2016, 03:14 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,637 Likes on 2,360 Posts

Originally Posted by Gus_Smedstad
You're assuming there's a demand, when the evidence is very much that there isn't. There aren't that many manual cars out there because people don't order them. It's not like manual transmissions are limited allocations like GT3's. Anyone with the money could have ordered one for the last 4 years.

You and the seller are looking for a unicorn buyer. One who:

* Thinks there's something wrong with 991.2's. I personally don't. Anyone who wants a 991.2 manual transmission GTS can order one right now for less, and they'll get the exact set of options they want.

* Considers ~6000 miles to be "high mileage," since I see 3 used manual GTS's on autotrader and 2 via the Porsche used car locator that qualify. One of which is a FSBO like the OP's with 1200 miles that's been reduced in price to $111k because it hasn't sold.

* Has some problem with the options on the new, unpunched 2016 manual GTS's out there. Those are a bit more difficult to search for, since Porsche doesn't provide a tool and most aren't on Autotrader. There are 3 I see on Autotrader, and a couple I found on Porsche dealer sites via google.

* Want a GTS specifically. If you open up the search to S's, which are just as much car for most buyers, there are over 100 manuals available.

The "his configuration" restriction you mention is extremely problematic with Porsches. Almost every car is unique in some way, and you're assuming that your unicorn buyer wants the options on this car beyond the manual transmission. Odds are they want some option not on the car, or don't care about some option he did get. Or they simply want some other color configuration, which is the most common issue.
That's not factually correct, the .2 GTS has not been announced yet, although its likely that it will be a 2017 MY.
Old 04-27-2016, 03:16 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,637 Likes on 2,360 Posts

Originally Posted by Grunty
The R is a lot more than just a more powerful GTS. Transmission, suspension, engine, interior, bodywork etc are all significantly different. I'd love to think they are comparable, but they really aren't. Not saying one is better, though.
+1 and I would (if given the choice) clearly select an R over a GTS, for a variety
of reasons not least the exclusivity, and likely status as a future 'classic', the R
is clearly a "better" car (for the money though?)
Old 04-27-2016, 03:35 PM
elitex
Instructor

Received 41 Likes on 21 Posts

I'll sell my $140k MSRP PDK GTS w/6k miles for MSRP.... Any takers??? 😀

Quick Reply: Just listed my 3.8 GTS in rl classifieds