Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Two styles of driving: Which is harder on a car? And which do you utilize?

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2018, 04:28 AM
K-A
Drifting

Received 138 Likes on 96 Posts
Default Two styles of driving: Which is harder on a car? And which do you utilize?

My favorite moments driving this car is while through winding roads, RPM's up, music screaming (and by music, I mean Flat 6.... it's not a band.... but a lifestyle), and rapid shifting PDK in Sport+ both down and up. Basically, as much a sensory experience with as much of me learning thus engaging with thus connecting with the car as possible. A majority of my time in this car is spent exercising it through windy open roads, so consider my attention to these scenarios I'm about to detail my version of the attention most drivers out there put onto fluffy things like infortainment or auto cruise control or massaging seats, etc.

For starters; one thing I don't love is that the lower gears are so long, I can really only do that "run up then brap shift" (which I so enjoy) thing so much, as going into third after running it up in second has you nearing 80 MPH already.

And as a disclaimer: Yes, I know that these engines and PDK are mean to withstand tons of abuse and what I'm doing is pussycat stuff in the grand scheme. But for the sake of just understanding the science of it, here's my scenario then question:

Scenario 1: Always keeping it in 3rd, which essentially keeps the powerband always above 4K RPM's during spirited runs, then downshift into 2nd before going into a turn, quickly run it up in 2nd after the apex to hear it scream, shift into third, then just coast the car while STILL in 3rd into the next turn (again, this is not on track, so NOT going WOT into third as speeds get excessive) while the RPM's are doing the engine braking (basically, RPM's are always up, even when going at moderate speeds). Upside in terms of "stress to drivetrain" is that there isn't much shifting going on (though I like shifting) which means less PDK work, and less hard downshifts. Downside in terms of "stress" is that the RPM's are pretty much constantly in the upper range during these runs, so the engine is working "harder" even when it doesn't have to, and MPG plummets as the engine is spinning faster even when it doesn't have to.

Scenario 2: This is one that I did with my Macan S and previous turbo cars, as I didn't want the strain of constant heat buildup via the heavy boost that comes from keeping a turbo in upper RPM's for long periods of time. Basically it's going into a turn in 2nd (higher RPM), revving it out into 3rd (just like scenario 1), with the difference being then immediately upshifting to a "coasting" overdrive gear on long straights (between turns) so as to give the engine a "break" before entering the next turn and quickly wringing it out again (as opposed to going through a whole long straight in 3rd like scenario 1, which means RPM's are singing at 4+K RPM's the whole time while you're just going a moderate speed). Downside in terms of "stress to drivetrain" is that this method requires a LOT more upshifts and hard downshifts (just a lot more shifting in general), which I would assume puts more pressure on the PDK. Upside is that the engine doesn't sit at high RPM's too often (aside from many "quick bursts") and MPG is likely going to be better.

Now, I know turbo and N/A work a lot differently here for reasons I touched on above, but in this particular case, I'm more curious how you guys with N/A cars go about your "fun runs." Though, interested to hear anybody's "tactic" be it on road or track.

And I'll reiterate that my car is driven spiritedly quite often, so funny as this may sound to some; deciding on a proper tactic on a car you both want to get the most out of (responsibly) while minimizing strain or replacement of wear parts is something of a priority (especially if it's a keeper). Though, "deciding between which gear to be in" is a much better "problem" to have than "how long was I sitting in traffic today."

Would be interested to know the tactics that those of you who drive similarly employ.
Old 01-07-2018, 09:31 AM
CSK 911 C4S
Rennlist Member

Received 857 Likes on 432 Posts

I don't think you have to worry about your PDK..... it's very smart and if it doesn't like something it's going to tell you quickly.

I drive spiritedly on back twisty roads in auto/sport mode and PDK always want to be in 2nd gear with rev's hi .......so if it likes it what am I to say.

I've hit the rev limiter a few times while in manual mode and you'll know when the PDK/Engine is not happy........ it feels pretty violent to me when the engine cuts fuel or spark in that split second at hi rev.
Old 01-07-2018, 09:39 AM
K-A
Drifting

Originally Posted by CSK 911 C4S
I don't think you have to worry about your PDK..... it's very smart and if it doesn't like something it's going to tell you quickly.

I drive spiritedly on back twisty roads in auto/sport mode and PDK always want to be in 2nd gear with rev's hi .......so if it likes it what am I to say.

I've hit the rev limiter a few times while in manual mode and you'll know when the PDK/Engine is not happy........ it feels pretty violent to me when the engine cuts fuel or spark in that split second at hi rev.
Thanks for sharing! You totally brought up a point I completely omitted: I’m always in manual mode when driving for fun. I should try it in auto Sport/Sport+ to see what it chooses to do as you have. Interestingly, my Sport mode seems to shift too soon (makes for a very viable and ideal “normal driving” option) while Sport+ mode holds low gears way too long for even my liking. My manual shifting is usually somewhere in between.
Old 01-07-2018, 09:55 AM
R_Rated
Banned

Received 42 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by K-A

Thanks for sharing! You totally brought up a point I completely omitted: I’m always in manual mode when driving for fun. I should try it in auto Sport/Sport+ to see what it chooses to do as you have. Interestingly, my Sport mode seems to shift too soon (makes for a very viable and ideal “normal driving” option) while Sport+ mode holds low gears way too long for even my liking. My manual shifting is usually somewhere in between.
Sport is the Goldilocks setting for me.... Normal is too soft and Sport + is VERY aggressive. Sport shifts pretty much exactly how I would in manual. Sport + is great for tunnels and being rambunctious with my exhaust.
Old 01-07-2018, 10:15 AM
Waxer
Nordschleife Master

Received 818 Likes on 430 Posts

I prefer shifting and letting the brakes do most of the slowing. That’s their job. Shifting is PDKs job. Accelerating is engines job.
Old 01-07-2018, 10:23 AM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,442 Likes on 835 Posts

Wow
Old 01-07-2018, 10:27 AM
Jabs1542
Rennlist Member

Received 145 Likes on 88 Posts

I think the answer to your scenarios depends on your engine temps and the ambient air temperature. Once my engine temps get above 250 I try to back off a bit when it makes sense, when it gets above 260 I'm now looking for cooling techniques like early upshifting to give thecar high speed air flow over the coolers while maintaining low rpms.

So maybe Scenario 1 for lower temps (spring and fall) and scenario 2 for higher temps (brutal summer). Happy oil = happy engine
Old 01-07-2018, 10:28 AM
.2PDK
Race Car

Received 1,277 Likes on 766 Posts

Originally Posted by K-A

I’m always in manual mode when driving for fun.
I'm in manual mode 100% of the time.
Old 01-07-2018, 11:05 AM
Bemo
Drifting

Received 263 Likes on 173 Posts

Always a proper warm up and Sport mode or Manual with playing in the 2nd/3rd gear range, without breaking local speed limits too badly.
Old 01-07-2018, 11:09 AM
subwoofer
Rennlist Member

Received 633 Likes on 403 Posts

With my turbo car and its low end torque, I don’t have to drive in a lower gear all the time. Just a waste of fuel. Once the engine has warmed up. I usually shift at 6k rpms in the lower gears if I am driving with some enthusiasm. With the 7 speed manual in my 991.2 4S, I have no worries. And I use the brakes to slow the car. What they are meant for.
Old 01-07-2018, 11:11 AM
NoGaBiker
Drifting

Received 233 Likes on 125 Posts

K-A, Auto in Sport+ isn't just aggressive -- it is programmed to literally hold a gear till redline, period. It is perfect for 10/10s all-out driving, where you always want to be in the lowest (numerical) gear you can be, for max power/torque in the 9A1. It is the perfect choice for track driving, because that is exactly what you should be doing -- staying in gear till redline (with some exceptions I won't go into). The Auto setting does this better than me (in Manual), i.e. I usually either wait too long and bang the rev limiter, upsetting things a little, or I shift a bit early to avoid that and leave 300 rpm on the table.

So Auto Sport+ is perfect at banging off redline-shifts every time and freeing me to do the steering and braking and setup. On the street, in the mountains, I used Manual Sport+ probably 80% of the time, but when I decided to push the car as close to the limits as I dared on (deserted) public streets, I'd shift to Auto for that same reason; let the computer make my shifts at redline every single time. (I using past tense because I don't have a PDK anymore.)

When driving in manual, I'd do it like you describe in Scenario 1; essentially, just like I do in a true clutched manual.
Old 01-07-2018, 11:26 AM
K-A
Drifting

Originally Posted by Jabs1542
I think the answer to your scenarios depends on your engine temps and the ambient air temperature. Once my engine temps get above 250 I try to back off a bit when it makes sense, when it gets above 260 I'm now looking for cooling techniques like early upshifting to give thecar high speed air flow over the coolers while maintaining low rpms.

So maybe Scenario 1 for lower temps (spring and fall) and scenario 2 for higher temps (brutal summer). Happy oil = happy engine
Great point! I always make sure oil temp is up before getting on it at all, but after that I don’t pay any attention to my engine temps. If I’m looking at anything there it’s usually the G Meter. I’ll have to start paying attention to temps while driving enthusiastically. Good tip!

Originally Posted by R_Rated
Sport is the Goldilocks setting for me.... Normal is too soft and Sport + is VERY aggressive. Sport shifts pretty much exactly how I would in manual. Sport + is great for tunnels and being rambunctious with my exhaust.
True. It’s mapped perfectly for real world driving, and like you said how I’d drive a manual day to day. And S/C is way too aggressive. Sport is too tame for spirited driving for me though (at least how mine is) so I just go with the paddles (err buttons) and shifter (in Sport+) for a middle ground. When I had my Macan, I rarely used Sport when normal driving as I felt higher RPM’s were needless unless I was really pushing it. With the N/A flat six powerband liking revs + the auditory characteristics, Sport really seems to compliment it perfectly.

Originally Posted by Bemo
Always a proper warm up and Sport mode or Manual with playing in the 2nd/3rd gear range, without breaking local speed limits too badly.
Yep, same here. Always between 2nd and 3rd. Sometimes literally debating in my head which I’d rather take an upcoming turn in, lol.

Originally Posted by AnandN
With my turbo car and its low end torque, I don’t have to drive in a lower gear all the time. Just a waste of fuel. Once the engine has warmed up. I usually shift at 6k rpms in the lower gears if I am driving with some enthusiasm. With the 7 speed manual in my 991.2 4S, I have no worries. And I use the brakes to slow the car. What they are meant for.
I like relying on brakes to slow a car rather than the transmission as well (I would imagine using the trans to slow it would technically put “strain” on said trans(?)). However keeping it at upper RPM’s is more a choice for enjoyments and sensory sake than a necessity. It’s why I like an N/A powerband, which is a different convo, but I like when I can be going a responsible speed and still feel my car working for my enjoyment (and vice versa), hence keeping in lower gears. Logistically, you’re right. It isn’t necessary to go fast and drinks fuel with an appetite.
Old 01-07-2018, 11:34 AM
K-A
Drifting

Originally Posted by NoGaBiker
K-A, Auto in Sport+ isn't just aggressive -- it is programmed to literally hold a gear till redline, period. It is perfect for 10/10s all-out driving, where you always want to be in the lowest (numerical) gear you can be, for max power/torque in the 9A1. It is the perfect choice for track driving, because that is exactly what you should be doing -- staying in gear till redline (with some exceptions I won't go into). The Auto setting does this better than me (in Manual), i.e. I usually either wait too long and bang the rev limiter, upsetting things a little, or I shift a bit early to avoid that and leave 300 rpm on the table.

So Auto Sport+ is perfect at banging off redline-shifts every time and freeing me to do the steering and braking and setup. On the street, in the mountains, I used Manual Sport+ probably 80% of the time, but when I decided to push the car as close to the limits as I dared on (deserted) public streets, I'd shift to Auto for that same reason; let the computer make my shifts at redline every single time. (I using past tense because I don't have a PDK anymore.)

When driving in manual, I'd do it like you describe in Scenario 1; essentially, just like I do in a true clutched manual.
Awesome, agreed on all points I can relate to and good info. Most credible and experienced drivers such as yourself that I’ve seen share their driving preferences on public but open roads echo you in preferring Scenario 1. To be honest, when I had my previous cars and started taking up more enthusiastic driving, my natural inclination was scenario 2. Once I drove on some tracks to get a better understanding of powerband at the limit, and listened to experienced drivers methods on public windy roads, I started employing Scenario 1.
Old 01-07-2018, 12:08 PM
simplex
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Don't worry about straining your 911. It's designed to be enjoyed and pushed.

Besides, the sooner you wear it out, the sooner you would be getting another one!
Old 01-07-2018, 03:10 PM
phow
Pro

Received 234 Likes on 114 Posts

Originally Posted by R_Rated
Agreed! I wonder if the dealer can program Sport to be the default? First thing I do after turning the ignition is switch on the Sport setting.

Sport + is completely wasted on me but it is fun to see what the car was built to do if you really wanted to push it 🙂

I’m pretty sure the exhaust is actually louder in Sport mode than in Sport+. Could be wrong.

OP, I do pretty much what you listed in scenario #1 and I have noticed zero issues so far. If anything, the car feels like it is slightly frustrated I’m not going harder lol.

Quick Reply: Two styles of driving: Which is harder on a car? And which do you utilize?