Sponsored by:

OEM backup camera - cost installed

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2015, 05:21 PM
mdftx1
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OEM backup camera - cost installed

Any ideas the cost to buy and install an oem backup camera in my 14 C2S?

I have the sensors, but would like the camera also
Old 12-24-2015, 09:01 PM
GN2
Intermediate

Default Dealership quote

Originally Posted by mdftx1
Any ideas the cost to buy and install an oem backup camera in my 14 C2S?

I have the sensors, but would like the camera also
I was quoted $1500 at a dealership in central CT.
Old 12-24-2015, 10:21 PM
Homeles
Three Wheelin'

Received 131 Likes on 83 Posts

Or u could just look behind ur car before u back up.
Old 12-25-2015, 09:43 AM
Michael_s
Rennlist Member

Received 54 Likes on 27 Posts

1200-1500 is the approx cost. I paid 1300. Not cheap. I added one to both my 911's. Works great OE integration. Prod not needed on a 911 but I park in a garage in NYC and there is a pole at the back of my spot.
Old 12-25-2015, 11:51 AM
Guzzgreg
Racer

Received 117 Likes on 66 Posts

Getting this also soon. Not easy to see in back in 911. Have sensors but as I have posted on another board, I have seen two deaths as a result of backing in my previous career. Not good. And yes we all can turn around and look, but many times we are so familiar with our surroundings we do not bother. Had them on previous cars last 10 years and have a camera now on my Jeep and wife's Audi.
Old 12-25-2015, 12:28 PM
Homeles
Three Wheelin'

I have one on my truck. Makes hooking up the car trailer a breeze. Never use it for anything else.
Old 12-25-2015, 03:00 PM
plenum
Burning Brakes

Received 54 Likes on 36 Posts

Or, take a look at my "experience" installing a backup camera on my '14 C4S (without sensors). It really is a straight-forward procedure, that if you are at all handy won't be difficult. You can obtain everything you need from NAV-TV which will interface with your PCM and will be "factory."

If nothing else you can see what you're paying for when you hire someone else to install!

Good Luck!

Plenum
Old 12-25-2015, 03:51 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,443 Likes on 2,250 Posts

Originally Posted by Homeles
Or u could just look behind ur car before u back up.
you are tempting providence/the gods with a remark like that!

IMO the camera is a MUST HAVE on a cabriolet as the rear visibility is very
poor particularly "top up" ... YMMV
Old 12-25-2015, 07:57 PM
jsaviano
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Funny, my dealer gave me a quote, then discouraged me unless I REALLY, REALLY wanted it. Essentially they urged me not to do a camera retrofit.
Old 12-25-2015, 08:54 PM
plenum
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by jsaviano
Funny, my dealer gave me a quote, then discouraged me unless I REALLY, REALLY wanted it. Essentially they urged me not to do a camera retrofit.
Interesting... would love to hear their argument. Perhaps there is an assumption on their part that "retrofit" requires opening the PCM box or something? It doesn't have to. Also if done by your dealer service shop there shouldn't be any question as to quality, meeting PAG standards and so on.

Also interesting seeing as how any new car sold in the coming years will be required by federal law to include a backup camera -- or did I misread that somewhere? So why are people so resistant to having these on a 911?
Old 12-26-2015, 11:56 AM
novaman
Cruisin'

New to the forum here. I just picked up at 2013 Carrera S cab and want to put a backup camera in it. The dealer referred me to a shop close by that has very mixed reviews. The shop said they could put a camera in (Rydeen NavTv) either drilling a hole or surface mounted with adhesive for right around $1000. Does that sound like a decent price and is that a decent camera?
Old 12-26-2015, 12:10 PM
STG
Race Director

Received 193 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by plenum
Also interesting seeing as how any new car sold in the coming years will be required by federal law to include a backup camera -- or did I misread that somewhere? So why are people so resistant to having these on a 911?
I believe that is correct on all newer cars having cameras soon.

I didn't do it because supposedly there are issues with the NAV-TV and the 2012.5 991 PCM's.
Old 12-26-2015, 12:54 PM
plenum
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by novaman
New to the forum here. I just picked up at 2013 Carrera S cab and want to put a backup camera in it. The dealer referred me to a shop close by that has very mixed reviews. The shop said they could put a camera in (Rydeen NavTv) either drilling a hole or surface mounted with adhesive for right around $1000. Does that sound like a decent price and is that a decent camera?
That sounds reasonable. You could certainly spend a lot more than that!!!

I am not familiar with "Rydeen" but NAV-TV is a well-known manufacturer of interfaces to factory head units. For less than $1k you can get an interface module, decent low-light / wide-angle camera, and cabling. You can source the camera from anywhere you want (NAV-TV doesn't manufacture cameras, but they will sell you one! When I purchased from them, I received a high-quality Sony unit), and even opt for a wireless install (subject to varying degrees of picture quality) but I would stick with NAV-TV for the interface. They offer both options for single rear/reverse camera as well as multi-input inteface (that I believe will require opening the PCM box) so that you can have rear and forward-facing cameras. In my particular case ('14 C4S coupe) I stuck with single wired camera, and there wasn't any need to modify or drill into the PCM case. Oh, and I chose to drill a hole and mount the camera to the rear bumper cover just like the factory does. I don't know why a camera stuck-on with adhesive would be more practical, and might be easier to "lose" if the adhesive doesn't hold-up to exterior climate. And a stuck-on camera might limit you to a wireless option....

As for what to expect regarding labor: For a good shop that has worked on 911 A/V installs before the job is rather simple and shouldn't take more than a few hours to complete. For a shop that hasn't installed something like this before, I would suggest you share my DIY installation blog post (complete with detailed pictures for each step) with the installer to save them time. The part that took me the longest was figuring out where to run the cabling past the rear firewall to reach the bumper cover, so using my DIY post your installer will save a LOT of time!

Here's the link to my DIY post:
Good Luck! And if you have any questions about the install, just PM me or post here and I'll do my best to help!
Old 12-26-2015, 12:58 PM
plenum
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by STG991
I didn't do it because supposedly there are issues with the NAV-TV and the 2012.5 991 PCM's.
Hmm. That might be. But if I recall the diff between 2012.5 PCM's was purely software related? I do recall something about this, as the units in the very first 991's off the assembly line might have had some differences. But in the case of the OP a '14 991 shouldn't have any issue at all.

Thanks!
Old 12-26-2015, 01:13 PM
Homeles
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Larry Cable
you are tempting providence/the gods with a remark like that!

IMO the camera is a MUST HAVE on a cabriolet as the rear visibility is very
poor particularly "top up" ... YMMV
Mine's a coupe, so I wouldn't know.

Quick Reply: OEM backup camera - cost installed