Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

OEM backup camera - cost installed

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2016, 02:53 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,634 Likes on 2,360 Posts

I think the big question is: "is the camera wiring harness in place?" ... since I just took the bumper off of
my GTS to do the air filters I can help you determine this, pop the passenger side tail light out, if the wiring harness is present, you will see two connectors, a larger molex (for the parking sensors) and a
smaller white/ceramic connector with purple tabs on it, that's the camera connector...

If that's not there, then the install will be much more complex since the wiring harness will need to be
installed ...
Old 01-01-2016, 03:33 PM
plenum
Burning Brakes

Received 57 Likes on 36 Posts

Maybe I can add some clarity?

Two things:
1) why a dealer/service dept would prefer not to do a retrofit or install....
2) can it be done with OEM parts

1. Keep in mind that although there are OEM parts as mentioned in other posts of this thread that are "compatible" with the 991 platform (and Porsche OE on some models), a dealer won't do a retrofit or install without an official service manual, or Work Manual to do so. Could they do it of their own free will and so on? Sure. But without a PAG sanctioned / approved procedure, it is free-lance or "Other" unofficial procedure and not something their systems have labor codes and all that for. So, it is not unrealistic at all for a dealer, who might have to repair or replace a damaged or malfunctioning reverse camera on other P-car models and even the 991 TT, to decline the customers request. There are, however, official WM for 2015 TTs, and other Porsche platforms, so of course the dealer would do the work. But as I'll describe in the next paragraph, there are other issues that might prevent an official retrofitting service procedure from EVER being published for 991 cars of model years that don't offer the rear camera as an official option.

2. Yes, there are Porsche OEM parts available for not only a reverse camera, but also a front camera. Both are options on 991 TT starting in 2015, and I believe the rear camera was an option on some 991's in 2016. There are specifically 2 primary official Porsche Work Manuals that detail step-by-step procedures for Removing and Installing Front and Rear Cameras. WM 914319 (rear) and WM 963819 (front). But those WM ONLY apply to 2015+ Turbos. There AREN'T any WM's for other 991 configurations in 2015 OR 2016 MY. You will however find one beginning in 2017 MY 991.2 (which won't likely apply to pre-2017 MYs since the rear cover and other bits are different).

ALSO - although there are OEM parts available for reverse camera on 991 TT this fact doesn't make it a "sure-thing" installation on other 991's. Looking at WM 914319 in more detail, you will find that the installation in the rear bumper cover includes removing a small "punch-out" that is already built-into the cover, finding a wiring harness already in place to plug the camera into, and utilizing a bracket to mount the camera through that designed-in opening. You won't find that or the wiring harness back there under the bumper cover of a non-TT 991. SO, any installer -- including a Porsche service technician -- would have to run the wiring from PCM back to the rear, cut a hole in your bumper cover to retrofit anyways! I don't think the dealer service guys want to do this without official documentation. Could you use the OEM camera and mounting bracket? Sure, I guess. But you would still have to drill a hole.... 991 models that didn't offer reverse camera OE option will NEVER have the required punch out as far as I understand, so I wouldn't hold my breath that there will ever be an official retrofit available. Oh, and did I mention that there isn't a part number for the wiring harness? I don't think there is at least from looking through the TSI. This is likely because the wiring harness is "part of" the rear PDC option wiring. If you don't have PDC, you might not have ANY wiring back there (which was the case in my 2014 C4S).

One more thing -- regarding the FRONT camera. Very cool. It is actually mounted in the "back-side" of the interior rear-view mirror. Not in the front bumper cover! WM 963819. Again, there is a wiring harness in place and cable run that is utilized, so any non-TT 991 is not likley to have this and you would have to figure that part out. I can't tell you if the TT mirror trim assembly is identical to the non-TT's so that is another experimentation if you decide to "retrofit" in a non-TT.

What does this all mean you ask? I write a lot. I've got a lot to say on this topic. hahahaha. However I am just a hack at all this, so someone counter my points above so I can learn something!

But seriously -- DON'T assume that because a part is available and it says compatible with other 991 configurations that it is a plug-and-play install, or that the dealer service dept would even want to do the work!

But if someone wants to send me a front camera to prove I can make it work in non-TT 991's, please PM me and I'll help you out!
Old 01-01-2016, 05:29 PM
Ferrarisimo
Burning Brakes

Received 200 Likes on 106 Posts

Originally Posted by plenum

But seriously -- DON'T assume that because a part is available and it says compatible with other 991 configurations that it is a plug-and-play install, or that the dealer service dept would even want to do the work!
Fair enough (and thanks for the detailed reply). I was implying that A) if the OEM parts exist, and B) the will is strong, then there is always a way. Since A & B are often true for a lot of people (myself included), then it should be straightforward, even if it means running additional wiring from the back of the bumper to the PCM unit. Given that you'd have to do this anyway with the Nav TV option, why not stick with as many OEM parts as possible?
Old 01-01-2016, 06:15 PM
GiuseppeM
Three Wheelin'

Received 88 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by Ferrarisimo
even if it means running additional wiring from the back of the bumper to the PCM unit. Given that you'd have to do this anyway with the Nav TV option, why not stick with as many OEM parts as possible?
My question is: Can I buy that TTS camera and plug it to the PCM? It seems that the part listed above includes the harness "but" if it didn't then just install one.
If the PCM on the GT3 is the same as the TTS it should be plug and play no? No reason to buy a NAVTV.
Old 01-01-2016, 06:26 PM
novaman
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by GiuseppeM
Thanks I saw your instructions and are very clear, I would rather not drill the bumper if possible, can you remove the metal screw section on the NAV camera and maybe use a 3M adhesive strip (or silicone)?
The Shop I am booking to do the install said they can install it without drilling a hole- they use some kind of adhesive. But if I wanted it installed with the hole drilled they would do it that way for me.
Old 01-01-2016, 06:27 PM
JoshuaKM1
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts

Is there a preferred back up camera kit out there that integrates best with the 991 PCM display? I've followed this thread for a while and I don't really see a consensus. I'm finally about to pull the trigger on a 2013 991S and I figure I can have the dealership install the camera for free while I'm picking up the car... or at least give it the old college try and ask.
Old 01-01-2016, 06:40 PM
GiuseppeM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by novaman
The Shop I am booking to do the install said they can install it without drilling a hole- they use some kind of adhesive. But if I wanted it installed with the hole drilled they would do it that way for me.
Thanks, can you tell me more about your setup? Year/Model/camera system etc
Old 01-01-2016, 07:44 PM
beaverlake
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 23 Posts

Thanks Plenum! That is what I thought the situation to be but with the various earlier comments about a dealer installation I wanted to be sure. As my SA noted "there is no retrofit part/kit for the 2012.5 - 2014 911s". There may not be for 2015 - 2016 either!
Old 01-01-2016, 08:56 PM
plenum
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by novaman
If you are being told that a camera can be installed to the rear in a OE fashion (ie not in the rear window, or under a engine bay lid vent) using only adhesive, it is likely a wireless camera. I researched the heck out of cameras, and wireless just didn't add-up in my own personal opinion or meet my standards for image quality etc. Can it work and be satisfactory? I guess. If it isn't wireless, then you MUST have a hole somewhere in the rear bumper cover -- existing or not.

One thought -- perhaps what you could do is figure-out how to utilize the hole just under the license plate? See below picture from my DIY post (ignorethe red arrow -- I was pointing-out which LED I removed during the install). There is a small hole just above the tow hook opening. I believe at the time I installed my camera I considered that hole, but in the end a clean install where no wires were visible / external just wasn't possible.

Old 01-01-2016, 09:03 PM
plenum
Burning Brakes

Fair enough (and thanks for the detailed reply). I was implying that A) if the OEM parts exist, and B) the will is strong, then there is always a way. Since A & B are often true for a lot of people (myself included), then it should be straightforward, even if it means running additional wiring from the back of the bumper to the PCM unit. Given that you'd have to do this anyway with the Nav TV option, why not stick with as many OEM parts as possible?
Understand. But what I am sharing with everyone reading this thread is the extensive research I've already completed, as well as the hands-on experience of actually integrating / installing a camera system that is as close to OEM as one can get without paying Porsche. Of course being a guy that pretty-much does all of this for "giggles" I get the "strong will" you are referring-to. I am sure that someone can buy the OEM parts and use those -- I was simply sharing the perspective that simply buying OE inventory doesn't simplify the install, nor does it work any better than a non-OE part solution (again, my opinion!). Since Porsche isn't installing nor warrantying the work / parts, I see little gain in going with the OE parts. Now, if you find that you already have the camera wiring harness in place with the rear PDC, perhaps it would be best to try the OE camera....

?

Last edited by plenum; 01-01-2016 at 09:55 PM.
Old 01-01-2016, 09:32 PM
GiuseppeM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by plenum
. I am sure that someone can buy the OEM parts and use those -- I was simply sharing the perspective that simply buying OE inventory doesn't simplify the install, no does it work any better than a non-OE part solution.
The point is why do I have to get NavTV's interface if I can plug an OEM camera straight to the PCM?
Old 01-01-2016, 10:14 PM
plenum
Burning Brakes

The point is why do I have to get NavTV's interface if I can plug an OEM camera straight to the PCM?
Not sure why this is difficult to grasp -- have you installed one of these? I don't recall anyone saying you have to go with NAVTV.

Just so happens the NAVTV interface I utilized (in my own case, my own car, my own two hands sweat and beer!) plugs directly into the PCM unit, just as "factory". That was the #1 reason I went that route. And most shops and installers I talked with at the time were actually using the NAVTV interface components (various models), even if they didn't know it! Anyways, wouldn't make a difference if it were a PAG part or not, you have to plug something in somewhere, right? When I did my own install, there wasn't an OEM part available, nor were the WMs published. Perhaps I might have taken the OEM part approach....

The only way you will have an installation that is as "simple" as plugging a camera directly into the PCM unit is if PAG already installed the necessary wiring into your car routed to the rear. Perhaps as part of the PDC. And even then you still have to deal with how you mount the camera to the cover if your car isn't equipped with the pop-out that the TT has....

So FWIW, I am done with this thread. If someone actually has a question to ask me about the install and/or my experiences, please PM me. I'll not be responding any further.... Thanks.
Old 01-01-2016, 10:17 PM
Ferrarisimo
Burning Brakes

Received 200 Likes on 106 Posts

That's my thinking as well. If you end up experimenting, let us know how it turns out.
Old 01-01-2016, 10:46 PM
GiuseppeM
Three Wheelin'

That's my thinking as well. If you end up experimenting, let us know how it turns out.
Oh man thanks for understanding my point, Plenum is stuck in his own thoughts that is not paying attention to what we are saying.
Old 01-01-2016, 10:53 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 12,069 Likes on 5,253 Posts

Yes what I meant is in the case of the GT3 the car doesn't come with a factory option so can you just purchase the camera and plug it to the PCM?
Yes.

Quick Reply: OEM backup camera - cost installed