Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

40,000 Mile Maintenance Completed Tonight

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2015, 10:18 PM
drsubie
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Unless you private sell, I don't believe most dealerships give a hoot about who did your maintenance service...just my experience. In all the cars I've traded into the dealership (more than I care to admit), they've never once asked for maintenance records etc...
Old 12-13-2015, 04:09 AM
Key Left
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by drsubie
Unless you private sell, I don't believe most dealerships give a hoot about who did your maintenance service...just my experience. In all the cars I've traded into the dealership (more than I care to admit), they've never once asked for maintenance records etc...
Well, I have a Porsche top twenty dealer and they do give a hoot to maintain that position.
Old 12-13-2015, 08:56 AM
mikeearly
Pro

Received 58 Likes on 34 Posts

thanks for the write up and the illustrating photos.... really glad you enjoyed doing the work and I am positive you got the best service possible.....
Old 12-13-2015, 04:41 PM
BradB
Drifting

Received 43 Likes on 36 Posts

Glad you enjoyed bonding with your own car. I feel the same way. I've done regular maintenance and performance upgrades on all my Porsches and every other car since day one. NEVER had an issue with warranty, resale or anything. In fact, when I stop by my Premier level Porsche dealership getting my parts and talking with the service writers, techs and parts guys it buys me a tremendous amount of respect and really builds a relationship with the dealership staff. They understand just how much of an enthusiest I am.

Rolling off Benjamins isn't the only way to satisfy your dealer or maintain your car.

Old 12-13-2015, 08:19 PM
Mlbraptor
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Awesome work..
Old 12-14-2015, 12:39 AM
Duke I
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

CSK, I enjoyed your write up and pics, thanks. Well done and congrats on the skills. I may take on the filters some day, but getting past the coil packs to the plugs without messing them up spooks me a bit.

I admire those whose enjoyment of these great cars includes working on them and enjoying the mechanics of it all -- it's not a question of $ value of time, rather, an investment of time with a different form of payoff.

Best.

Duke
Old 12-14-2015, 03:25 AM
CSK 911 C4S
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 401 Posts

Originally Posted by Duke I
CSK, I enjoyed your write up and pics, thanks. Well done and congrats on the skills. I may take on the filters some day, but getting past the coil packs to the plugs without messing them up spooks me a bit.

I admire those whose enjoyment of these great cars includes working on them and enjoying the mechanics of it all -- it's not a question of $ value of time, rather, an investment of time with a different form of payoff.

Best.

Duke
Thanks.

Truly it's having more patience then skill and getting over the fact you are taking your $1xx,xxx price car apart. No specialty tools required.

Having a lift would make this job so much easier but if you take some Advil and a good nap afterwards you will be good to go.
Old 12-14-2015, 07:04 PM
Chubby Racer
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Key Left
Well, I have a Porsche top twenty dealer and they do give a hoot to maintain that position.
"Top 20" what? In new car sales volume?
Old 12-14-2015, 07:23 PM
Key Left
Pro

Originally Posted by BradB
Glad you enjoyed bonding with your own car. I feel the same way. I've done regular maintenance and performance upgrades on all my Porsches and every other car since day one. NEVER had an issue with warranty, resale or anything. In fact, when I stop by my Premier level Porsche dealership getting my parts and talking with the service writers, techs and parts guys it buys me a tremendous amount of respect and really builds a relationship with the dealership staff. They understand just how much of an enthusiest I am.

Rolling off Benjamins isn't the only way to satisfy your dealer or maintain your car.

Try getting a CPO'd trade- in status with that scenario?
Old 12-14-2015, 07:54 PM
Key Left
Pro

One must also remember, that just because you have a fist full of receipts does not necessarily mean that those goods went into that car. Many people own multiple cars.
Old 12-14-2015, 08:05 PM
BradB
Drifting

Sure have! Already did that with my previous Cayman S.
Old 12-14-2015, 08:21 PM
BradB
Drifting

One must also remember, that just because you have a fist full of receipts does not necessarily mean that those goods went into that car. Many people own multiple cars.
Speaking for myself, a UOA (Used Oil Analysis) which I have run for my own benefit, is one way to verify the quality of the oil used and the frequency of changes. And my purchases of OEM 991 parts and filters are unlikely to be used in my BMW.
Old 12-15-2015, 05:37 PM
plenum
Burning Brakes

Received 54 Likes on 36 Posts

Geez -- what a bunch of negative input for someone sharing with the community. I am sure there is some truth in what you say, but it "all depends" on so many uncontrollable or unknown factors that it's like me predicting how hard it will be to catch a cab in NYC on a Sunday morning while I am living in Hawaii....

I say bravo to to OP for sharing, great post!

And just for kicks, not much of what you say would be true in my own "special" case in that I buy all of my maintenance filters, other bits from my dealer, and rather than reset the maintenance light myself simply have them do it. That way, all of my scary DIY behavior is documented in their wiz-bang computer that everyone is so concerned with. Oh, and they are happy to tell me when I am up for a service bulletin, campaign, or whatever if I simply ask them....

And really, you think a dealer is going to hesitate to sell a car because of lack of confidence in service records because of DIY? LOL

You minimally miss the factory recalls and free upgrades with this scenario.
Mine recently got instrument programing upgrade, engine cover replacement ,passenger side, and new door stop pieces. Then a PIWIS run to detect any faults. Also, your receipts will not replace the dealer stamps and computer log of service if you decide to trade versus sell private and gain the sales tax relief. Dealers will take a dim view of DIY service as it makes it hard for them to pass the car on with any degree of confidence, or at least sell the new buyer of your car on their service department. Net, net they can only offer you less for your trade versus a dealer serviced example. Where's the DIY service savings gone then?
Old 12-15-2015, 05:57 PM
saa106
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Social Media -- Where those who are too scared to be a$$holes in real life can be a$&hole know-it-alls in a fake world all the time.

Great write up, I'd buy a car from you.
The following users liked this post:
GSBruce (09-26-2020)
Old 12-15-2015, 06:52 PM
freeman
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

There are skills and insight:

I have tried every maintenance procedure on each of my Porsches from 1974 to 2015. I am an abject failure on each. I must always get friends to bail me out.

On the other hand, my profession demands that I must do the finest microsurgery on the brain. I do so with great success.

The skilled automobile technicians often tell me humbly how much they respect what I do. I quickly relate that I respect what they do because I cannot do it and they can so and respect is reciprocated.

My long-term technician at the dealership has just retired and I am in the process of bonding with him on my GTS.

Try doing so!

Quick Reply: 40,000 Mile Maintenance Completed Tonight