Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

40,000 Mile Maintenance Completed Tonight

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2015, 04:13 PM
Keadog
Rennlist Member

Received 1,018 Likes on 612 Posts

I am in awe. I would probably scare myself to death before i got the bumper off.
Old 12-12-2015, 04:27 PM
CSK 911 C4S
Rennlist Member

Received 805 Likes on 401 Posts

The bumper was the easiest thing to pop off and it's fairly rigid off the car which surprised me. There are alignment pins behind the tail lights to assist in getting in back on correctly.

I do need assistance on one thing from a fellow C4 or C4S owners on gaps. I did not pay attention to the gaps around the tail lights. The gap at the point as well as the gap near the center light. If someone could snap a picture or two and post I would be thankful.

here's they way it is right now.

Last edited by CSK 911 C4S; 12-12-2015 at 05:03 PM.
Old 12-12-2015, 04:34 PM
freeman
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

I do not do my own service but I save every receipt in a book, When I sold me 993 and 2013 991, both purchasers were impressed by my compulsiveness when they received my books. It made for a great sale in both cases.
Old 12-12-2015, 05:07 PM
mtony
Pro

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Great job, and thanks for posting! I'd much rather buy a used car from an enthusiast who I know does a good job DIYing maintenance work. I'm pretty sure many cars leave the dealerships/shops after paying for service which was never performed. Happens with BMW all the time. Showing pictures of maintenance I have done to my own cars has always helped me sell them later on.
Old 12-12-2015, 05:42 PM
saa106
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Great write up, this is my first P-Car, lots of American V-8's in the past, so these type of articles are extremely helpful for me. Keep up the great work guys.
Old 12-12-2015, 05:59 PM
CSK 911 C4S
Rennlist Member

Another question for you DIY guys.

What in the world is this little wire with a metal ball on the end.

It's located under the right side engine cover and it can be pushed down and then it pops back up.

And this other fluid reservoir. It has a dip stick and it looks like power steering fluid. Is this the PDCC fluid bottle? In looking at other 991 engine pictures this bottle is not visible.

Old 12-12-2015, 06:07 PM
WCE
User

Received 177 Likes on 86 Posts

Nice job - I did a spark plug replacement on a 996TT years ago (without a lift, on my back, on the garage floor) so I can appreciate what you went through.
One aspect of doing your own service on these awkward to access high end cars that gives me pause these days is the possibility of damage. One busted bumper bracket, scuffed paint work, damaged or improperly connected wire harness, and you're liable to be paying out as much as you saved to the dealer anyway. I agree there is a sense of accomplishment and potential money savings, but the dealer's doing my plug replacement when the time comes while I drive their loaner!
Old 12-12-2015, 06:26 PM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,388 Likes on 2,509 Posts

Wire with little ball- emergency engine lid release??
Old 12-12-2015, 08:03 PM
Rob VN
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good job. Does this service also want the two cabin air filters changed? There are two, one in the frunk and one in the cabin.
Old 12-12-2015, 08:17 PM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,388 Likes on 2,509 Posts

Originally Posted by Rob VN
Good job. Does this service also want the two cabin air filters changed? There are two, one in the frunk and one in the cabin.
Those are also 40,000 mile service interval. Frunk one is very easy. The cabin one requires a contortionist to see under the glove box area. It's the pricy one too.

Last edited by LexVan; 12-12-2015 at 08:39 PM.
Old 12-12-2015, 08:21 PM
CSK 911 C4S
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by LexVan
Wire with little ball- emergency engine lid release??
It would be a little odd to have an emergency engine lid release in the engine compartment.

I could get the manual out and search and I'll do that a little later but it could be a Frunk or Filler flap release. I didn't want to pull it just to find out.
Old 12-12-2015, 08:40 PM
Key Left
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

You minimally miss the factory recalls and free upgrades with this scenario.
Mine recently got instrument programing upgrade, engine cover replacement ,passenger side, and new door stop pieces. Then a PIWIS run to detect any faults. Also, your receipts will not replace the dealer stamps and computer log of service if you decide to trade versus sell private and gain the sales tax relief. Dealers will take a dim view of DIY service as it makes it hard for them to pass the car on with any degree of confidence, or at least sell the new buyer of your car on their service department. Net, net they can only offer you less for your trade versus a dealer serviced example. Where's the DIY service savings gone then?
Old 12-12-2015, 08:44 PM
CSK 911 C4S
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by SDaddy
Thanks for the write up! Is a break bleed coming up too?
A brake fluid flush was at the 2 year mark and that was last year. I let the service department do that one since they gave me a price I could not refuse one Saturday when I just popped in just to say hi.

I did pick up a Motive Pressure Bleeder a few years ago when I rehabbed my brakes on my 88 VW Scirocco so I'm ready to do it the next time it comes up.

https://www.ecstuning.com/Search/Sit...Motive/ES3474/
Old 12-12-2015, 08:57 PM
CSK 911 C4S
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Key Left
Mine recently got instrument programing upgrade, engine cover replacement ,passenger side, and new door stop pieces. Then a PIWIS run to detect any faults. Also, your receipts will not replace the dealer stamps and computer log of service if you decide to trade versus sell private and gain the sales tax relief. Dealers will take a dim view of DIY service as it makes it hard for them to pass the car on with any degree of confidence, or at least sell the new buyer of your car on their service department. Net, net they can only offer you less for your trade versus a dealer serviced example. Where's the DIY service savings gone then?
Not a problem with the recalls and programming stuff. When I pop in to have the service indicator reset, if they are not backed up, they usually check all that other stuff. As for door pieces and and engine compartment covers etc.... the car does go in for warranty stuff once in a while so it gets caught up with all the campaigns at that time. CPO is the way to go.

On resale..... hehehe This is the 1st Porsche I've owned and I'm going to see how may miles I can get on it so resale is the least of my worries at this time.
Old 12-12-2015, 09:48 PM
Noah Fect
Rennlist Member

Received 1,298 Likes on 886 Posts

Originally Posted by Key Left
98% of owners and 99% of dealers couldn't give a hoot about any of this. Just keep the receipts handy.

Quick Reply: 40,000 Mile Maintenance Completed Tonight