Sponsored by:

What is the optimum oil temp?

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2015, 11:41 AM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,414 Likes on 2,517 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris3963
Flat6 (F6) vs V8, V6, I4, etc. I thought that all the Porsche F6 engines prior to the 9A1 had the same characteristic..i.e. they took an awful long time for the oil temp to come up to speed. I have a 45km drive to work each day and I have noticed that within 5-10kms at most, the oil in my Macan Turbo is up to temp. With my 991 4S, I am almost at work on a cold day before it reaches the same temp. So from an engineering perspective I am curious to understand what is it about this configuration that affects oil warm up so much. Whether it's a F6 thing or the way Porsche has set the engine up and why.
I'd imagine 3 things for sure:

1) Macan engine in the front

2) Macan turbo'd. More heat generation?

3) Does the Macan weigh more?

I'm pretty sure the 9A1 motor has a significantly different thermal management system as compared to the prior 911 motors in the 997.1.
Old 12-04-2015, 06:15 PM
Chubby Racer
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by fast1
I completely agree with your recommendation, and that's why I always custom order my Porsches. About ten years ago my son worked as a lot boy at a local Porsche dealership, and he told me that almost every Porsche demo driver would push the car hard as soon as it hit the street.
Certain cults would say that the demo driver was doing you a favor

http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm
Old 12-05-2015, 01:42 AM
gbree
Racer

Received 30 Likes on 19 Posts

160 to rev past 4500 rpm, 180-220 for normal driving

Last edited by gbree; 12-05-2015 at 11:08 AM.
Old 12-05-2015, 02:54 AM
chuck911
Race Car

Received 58 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by Chubby Racer
Certain cults would say that the demo driver was doing you a favor

http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm
cult
kəlt/Submit
noun
a system of religious veneration and devotion directed toward a particular figure or object.
Other than the fact there is no faith (religious or otherwise) involved (nor veneration, nor devotion), and seat the rings is an independently verifiable and falsifiable theory based on observation (i.e., SCIENCE!) having nothing to do with any particular figure or object, then yes I guess its a cult.

But, since you brought it up, it is the factory (a figure) whose manual (an object) people show veneration and devotion, believing their word on faith. So not a word I'd have chosen but it does seem to fit, just not the way you think.

This by the way is what we call a Freudian slip.
Freud·i·an slip
noun
an unintentional error regarded as revealing subconscious feelings.
Old 12-05-2015, 10:48 AM
shumi_9
Advanced

220 on my C4S when fully warmed up. On track, in sports plus auto up to 270.
BTW, why would the Porsche engineers not provides with a real temp for coolant on our gage? My understanding is that it defaults to 194 for a wide range.
Old 12-05-2015, 01:15 PM
Chubby Racer
Advanced

Originally Posted by chuck911
cult
kəlt/Submit
noun
a system of religious veneration and devotion directed toward a particular figure or object.
Other than the fact there is no faith (religious or otherwise) involved (nor veneration, nor devotion), and seat the rings is an independently verifiable and falsifiable theory based on observation (i.e., SCIENCE!) having nothing to do with any particular figure or object, then yes I guess its a cult.

But, since you brought it up, it is the factory (a figure) whose manual (an object) people show veneration and devotion, believing their word on faith. So not a word I'd have chosen but it does seem to fit, just not the way you think.

This by the way is what we call a Freudian slip.
Freud·i·an slip
noun
an unintentional error regarded as revealing subconscious feelings.

Your analysis is a bit overwrought. School of Thought/Cult whatever you want to call it...there are some people that disregard the owners manual's suggestion of low-rpm break-in favor of a high-rpm/high-load breakin. As the science isn't settled as to which method results in better ring seal and/or longevity, proponents of both methods have been seen to argue with what can only be compared with religious fervor.
Old 12-05-2015, 01:23 PM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,414 Likes on 2,517 Posts

Originally Posted by Chubby Racer
Your analysis is a bit overwrought. School of Thought/Cult whatever you want to call it...there are some people that disregard the owners manual's suggestion of low-rpm break-in favor of a high-rpm/high-load breakin. As the science isn't settled as to which method results in better ring seal and/or longevity, proponents of both methods have been seen to argue with what can only be compared with religious fervor.
Just ignore Chuck. She's our 991 troll. She has never ever broken in a single new Porsche motor in her life. Never. Does not own a 991. Has never driven a 991. No skin in the game. Just access to bandwidth and Google.

In fact Mr A. P. from Porsche's GT development group recently spoke about proper engine break in. His recommendation is a modified version of the USA owner's manual. He also advocates an early first oil change at about the 1,000 mile mark.
Old 12-06-2015, 11:12 AM
c_Gio
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm in the under 4K rpm for 2,000 miles school myself. Who ever designed the car & wrote the manual knows more about this than I do......but will change oil around 1500

Quick Reply: What is the optimum oil temp?