Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Should I do a brake in oil change or follow Porsche 10,000 recommendation.

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2015, 11:47 AM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,388 Likes on 2,509 Posts

Originally Posted by trucheli
I live in Miami with 90degree weather most of the year. Should I use 0W40 or 5W50?
5W50 or 5W40. Select a Porsche A40 approved oil. There are over a 100 to choose from. I like Mobil and Motul the best.

Sent from my iPhone using Rennlist
Old 09-20-2015, 11:47 AM
STG
Race Director

Received 193 Likes on 137 Posts
Default Should I do a brake in oil change or follow Porsche 10,000 recommendation.

I live in Miami with 90degree weather most of the year.
Don't I wish ...
Old 09-20-2015, 11:52 AM
MACH 86
Instructor

Received 19 Likes on 2 Posts

Are we sure that the factory original oil fill is the same Mobile that we use for replacement? Some engine manufactures initial oil fill is a brake in formula. Assume all the oil is the same a early change would be ok.
Old 09-20-2015, 11:57 AM
MACH 86
Instructor

Received 19 Likes on 2 Posts

Another thought is in the past when you broke in a new car if you babied it it was sure to burn oil all its life. That would glaze the cylinders and the rings would never seat in. Now Porsche wants a 2000 mile max 4200 RPM brake in. Anybody know why? Go figure.
Old 09-20-2015, 12:09 PM
trucheli
Pro

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by STG991
I wasn't clear. Marketing on Porsche's part. Smarts on BMW's part.

As far as cost of an oil change. Whether $200-$400, it really doesn't matter. Shop around. Each dealer is independently owned and set their own pricing. Some better than others as we all know. Obviously we're getting gouged a little, same goes for Porsche prices overall.

These new 911's will depreciate 30-40K in the first two years, and like $600-$800 a month for years after that. Look at the big picture.

Thinking about having the car out of warranty? I'd rather have an engine that was maintained the best way possible. Oil changes and proper service.
I have always done my own oil changes on my second cars Toyota, Acura and BMW 335i. I believe that I will do a better job that a salary paid technician. Unfortunately, living in Miami my personal experience with service advisors and technicians has been very close to criminal. A Honda dealer suggested that I needed new brakes with 3500 miles and after telling the SA that I only change brakes when the sensor tells me to do it they put a used pad on one of the calipers.

I could do the change on the Porsche since I have the space and tools to do it, but Murphy's Law would be very costly and not worth the risk for a warranty repair to be denied.
Old 09-20-2015, 12:14 PM
LexVan
Banned

Originally Posted by MACH 86
Another thought is in the past when you broke in a new car if you babied it it was sure to burn oil all its life. That would glaze the cylinders and the rings would never seat in. Now Porsche wants a 2000 mile max 4200 RPM brake in. Anybody know why? Go figure.
PM Chuck911. He will tell you why.

Old 09-20-2015, 12:15 PM
LexVan
Banned

Are we sure that the factory original oil fill is the same Mobile that we use for replacement? Some engine manufactures initial oil fill is a brake in formula. Assume all the oil is the same a early change would be ok.
It's the same Mobil 0W40.

Old 09-20-2015, 12:27 PM
BradB
Drifting

Received 43 Likes on 36 Posts

I did my first oil change at 1000 miles. Two jugs of Mobil 1 0w40 from WalMart $52. OEM oil filter kit from dealer $19. DIY oil change $Free. Blackstone UOA results are great.

I change my oil now at about 3000 mile intervals. In the summer season I do a dozen or more track days and quite a bit of over the road driving. I also drive the car through the winter when the streets are clear. The UOA continues to be good. I looked at heavier weight Mobil 1 and Motul oils based on reports from folks on the forum here, but I had problems locating the oil locally and a combination of inconvenience and greater expense sent me back to WalMart when it was time to buy again.
Old 09-20-2015, 03:02 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

My 2015 991 GTS has 1000 miles and I am thinking about doing an early oil change at 1200 miles. As some of you know I have owned several M3s and either the V8 or the in line 6 twin turbo require a 1200 miles brake in oil change. If BMW considers that a naturally aspirated engine needs a brake in oil change how come Porsche does not follow the same reasoning?. I wonder how many have done early oil changes as oppose to 10,000 miles.
Various factors drive this break in or early service business.

Many times -- I can't recall once when this was not the case -- in long term car reviews, any car that requires an "early" service receives negative comments.

OTOH, The reviewers always comment favorably on how long a car can go without needing its first service. 10K miles, 15K miles, even 20K miles and the reviewers are just gushing with positive comments. 'course, no one knows how the car/engine fares the next 20K miles...

What I have done, and what I recommend unless the owners manual cautions against it, is to do an early oil/filter service.

For instance, with my last new car, my 2008 Cayman S, I did one at 750 miles.

I have pics I can supply of the filter housing oil in a clean drain pan. The amount of glitter makes the oil look almost like metallic paint. Sure, the filter caught this but if there is any high pressure bypass this dirty oil can be supplied to the engine under cold start conditions.

While there was a lot of glitter, it was not surprising to me. I have seen the oil from a couple of new engines and several rebuilt engines and the first oil change always has the oil just filthy.

I would add in hindsight I wish I had done the oil change at 500 miles vs. 750 miles. I was taught after a rebuild to after running the engine 30 minutes or so to mostly seat the rings and get the lifters and cam "broken in" to do an oil/filter service then and there.

The next oil change came at not quite 1500 miles and the oil had just a hint of glitter in it. Not enough to even show up in a photograph. The 3rd oil/filter service I had done at the dealer at the end of break in -- at around 2K miles -- and we didn't even bother to look at the oil. The tech just let it drain. I showed him the pics I had taken of the oil at the 1st service and he said he has seen similar over the years.

Up to you, but my advice is -- as I stated above -- do an "early" oil/filter service unless forbidden by the owners manual. Some dealers balk at doing an early service and may tell you it is not advisable, but this is because they really don't like doing just oil services as this ties up a service bay and sometimes a very in demand Porsche diagnostics computer which they prefer to use for prepare new cars for sale or delivery or use on cars in for warranty work.

Be prepared to be sort of discouraged when you try to schedule the car for an early or out of schedule oil/filter service but persist.
Old 09-20-2015, 03:23 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

A new engine produces more friction. Friction equals heat. To reduce the risk of this friction generating enough heat to result in a break down of the oil and do damage is what causes Porsche to put a rev limit of 4200 RPMs on new engines still under "break in" miles.

It is a sensible move on Porsche's part.

Might mention field and lab tests have found "break in" continues for sometimes thousands of miles beyond the nominal break in mileage. Friction decreases. The engine runs a bit cooler and gas consumption goes down. Also, power goes up as less is lost due to friction.

Anyhow, just because the upper rev limit is restricted does not require you "baby" the engine. What helps properly break in an engine is load, varying load.

So you can once the engine is fully warmed up engage in some moderately hard acceleration using more than just a light throttle while of course still adhering to the 4200 rev limit.

My philosophy is to at the end of "break in" change the oil/filter. This ensures the engine going forward in time is of course filled with fresh clean oil with no contamination a new engine causes.

Also, I do not just jump from keeping revs under 4200 to suddenly banging the engine off the rev limiter. I "sneak up" on the rev limiter over some miles, another 1000 or so, for as I mentioned above tests have found break in continues sometimes a long time after the nominal break in miles.

The result is the engine develops good power, idles at a reasonable volume level, and has the best chance of avoiding being an oil burner and can provide exceptional service life. Case in point is my 2002 Boxster now with 294254 miles. The engine still runs very very good, its oil consumption is quite acceptable down in the 1 quart every 5K mile range which is not much above what it was even with fewer miles on the clock. While I run 5w-50 I do this not because of the engine's miles more because where i live/drive ambient temperatures are quite warm in the summer months -- today's forecast calls for 100F+! -- and quite mild in the winter. The times I have had 0w-40 used when 5w-50 was not available the engine has not manifested any signs the 0w-40 oil is too "thin".
Old 09-20-2015, 03:31 PM
LexVan
Banned

Originally Posted by Macster
Might mention field and lab tests have found "break in" continues for sometimes thousands of miles beyond the nominal break in mileage.
Agree. My experience shows this to be about 20,000 miles.

Old 09-20-2015, 06:53 PM
trucheli
Pro

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

Various factors drive this break in or early service business.

Many times -- I can't recall once when this was not the case -- in long term car reviews, any car that requires an "early" service receives negative comments........

+1
And I thought I was OCD.
Old 09-20-2015, 07:19 PM
Green_Hornet
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Would you really need an oil filter for oil changes between the factory intervals?
Old 09-20-2015, 07:29 PM
Dgags
Racer

Received 223 Likes on 72 Posts

A $12 oil filter every 5000 miles isn't where I'd look to save money.
Old 09-20-2015, 10:15 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 10,797 Likes on 4,779 Posts

As a DD (non-track car), how long you plan on keeping the car should guide your decision.

Keeping it no longer than the warranty period, don't do in-between service interval oil changes.

If you think this car is a keeper, or want it to be a keeper (i.e., longer than 4/50k), then changing oil more frequently than the required intervals wouldn't be a bad idea. How often? Now, that's a different question entirely.

Quick Reply: Should I do a brake in oil change or follow Porsche 10,000 recommendation.