Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How fast does a GT3 pull away from a GTS....

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2015, 12:45 AM
DD GT3 RD
Rennlist Member

Received 454 Likes on 199 Posts
Default How fast does a GT3 pull away from a GTS....

@ Buttonwillow...best lap times were 1.5 seconds apart, both stock.
Watch through the esses and then the main straight...he just pulls away fast on the straights! Its my friend in the GT3.

Edit: just posted it for the straights and esses to show how he pulls away under power. Not sure if he was driving to the max otherwise.

Last edited by DD GT3 RD; 08-25-2015 at 10:03 AM.
Old 08-25-2015, 01:43 AM
96redLT4
Rennlist Member

Received 280 Likes on 159 Posts

I am impressed that the GTS hung that close!
Jim
Old 08-25-2015, 01:49 AM
fastdiablo
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Cool vid! Is that a 7MT you're driving? The PDK by itself, let alone in a GT3 can a make a big difference on the track depending on who is rowing the rotary phone gearbox..
Old 08-25-2015, 02:39 AM
CSK 911 C4S
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 401 Posts

^^^^^
Old 08-25-2015, 02:50 AM
DD GT3 RD
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by fastdiablo
Cool vid! Is that a 7MT you're driving? The PDK by itself, let alone in a GT3 can a make a big difference on the track depending on who is rowing the rotary phone gearbox..
Yes it's that old granny shifter 7 MT 😂
Old 08-25-2015, 03:03 AM
chuck911
Race Car

Received 56 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by DD GT3 RD
@ Buttonwillow...best lap times were 1.5 seconds apart, both stock.
Watch through the esses and then the main straight...he just pulls away fast on the straights! Its my friend in the GT3.

991GTS chasing 991GT3 @ Buttonwillow C13 - YouTube
He pulls away fast on the straights, but the GTS gets it all back in braking. Well, not the GTS- the driver of the GTS!
Old 08-25-2015, 09:02 AM
Puf n Stuf
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

...he just pulls away fast on the straights! Its my friend in the GT3.
Interesting comparison.

Would it be too much trouble to re-shoot this video with you driving the GT3 and your friend in the GTS, so that we can consider the effectof the drivers’ abilities. I’m sure you're great behind the wheel but your friend may be lousy.
Old 08-25-2015, 09:10 AM
Jay-S
Rennlist Member

Received 159 Likes on 49 Posts

If I remember correctly, the professional drivers at the Porsche driving school indicated PDK was raced against manual on a variety of tracks (using Porsche drivers) and PDK consistently beat manual by about 1 second per lap.
Old 08-25-2015, 09:36 AM
DD GT3 RD
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Puf n Stuf
Interesting comparison.

Would it be too much trouble to re-shoot this video with you driving the GT3 and your friend in the GTS, so that we can consider the effectof the drivers’ abilities. I’m sure you're great behind the wheel but your friend may be lousy.

He's a good driver.
I was posting it mentioning the straights, not the turns. He may have been going 9/10ths that lap and my 10/10th. But I know he was flooring it on the straights so that's why I posted this. To show how much he pulled on the straights and esses
Old 08-25-2015, 04:45 PM
chuck911
Race Car

Originally Posted by Puf n Stuf
Interesting comparison.

To compare the drivers, just watch the one we already have. Both drivers moves are shown, its just that we see the GT3 from behind, the GTS from inside.

Drivers abilities are clear. If they were equal the GT3 would just walk away all day. Instead it gains on straights, loses in braking and turns.

Great example, watch the film at :16. For whatever reason the GT3 goes left towards the middle of the straight, then cuts right just before braking. All that (unnecessary) lateral momentum puts him at least a foot off line kicking up dirt off the curbing. Meanwhile our GTS driver goes right down the straight, does his major braking nice and straight, stays on the sticky line, and takes back in braking skill everything the GT3 gained from acceleration.

Classic case of better driving making a slower car appear faster than it is.
Old 08-25-2015, 04:54 PM
DD GT3 RD
Rennlist Member

You guys are going wild!! Relax. But thanks for any compliments

Was only for the straights and esses as I mentioned!

There's no question the Gt3 is faster in all aspects.

Just wanted people to see how it pulls down the straight vs me. Clearly pulls hard down the straight away gaining a lot of space.

Also not sure why my buddy went off line there. Not something he normally does. He runs 1:54s there in his car but not that day.
Old 08-26-2015, 02:30 AM
woodrow
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default gts vs gt3

Originally Posted by chuck911
He pulls away fast on the straights, but the GTS gets it all back in braking. Well, not the GTS- the driver of the GTS!
+1
Old 08-26-2015, 09:15 AM
Puf n Stuf
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

DD GT3 RD - thanks for posting. I'm now even more impatient for my order to be delivered.

Come on workers of Zuffenhausen– let’s get the backlog of orders built (at least the grey RHD ones) as I want in on the fun sometime soon!
Old 08-26-2015, 05:24 PM
chuck911
Race Car

You guys are going wild!! Relax. But thanks for any compliments

Was only for the straights and esses as I mentioned!

There's no question the Gt3 is faster in all aspects.

Just wanted people to see how it pulls down the straight vs me. Clearly pulls hard down the straight away gaining a lot of space.

Also not sure why my buddy went off line there. Not something he normally does. He runs 1:54s there in his car but not that day.
Relax. Both were off line all over the place. Usually not a lot, but in a game of inches being a foot off is a big deal. Easy enough to check apex cones and see how few either of them nail.

If you're really trying to compare acceleration the bigger problem is the GT3 being in front always gets to start accelerating first, so will always look to be faster. In fact if you switched the cars around then the GT3 would see the GTS accelerate and pull away first, and it would look like the GTS was faster! Especially if the GTS driver takes a better line resulting in a faster exit speed, this could totally erase the GT3 advantage and you would be convinced the GTS is faster- when really its the driver.
Old 08-26-2015, 07:20 PM
DD GT3 RD
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by chuck911
Relax. Both were off line all over the place. Usually not a lot, but in a game of inches being a foot off is a big deal. Easy enough to check apex cones and see how few either of them nail.

If you're really trying to compare acceleration the bigger problem is the GT3 being in front always gets to start accelerating first, so will always look to be faster. In fact if you switched the cars around then the GT3 would see the GTS accelerate and pull away first, and it would look like the GTS was faster! Especially if the GTS driver takes a better line resulting in a faster exit speed, this could totally erase the GT3 advantage and you would be convinced the GTS is faster- when really its the driver.

Both off line all over the place? Not sure if you know that track well but I don't think so. If you mean when the gt3 went left for no reason sure...I've been going to that track ten years. Also the cones are NOT set exact. If you are watching the same video I am you'll see the cones in the esses are off and far in the dirt. The second or third one is way off! Turn one after the straight is set too early. I'm not a pro but have driven around it with many many people, have buddies who do the time attack competitions three and a friend who instructs with Porsche. Another who raced in the Peyton series. We know the track pretty well. If I'm still driving off the line after ten years then shoot me and I quit 😂

Maybe YouTube some of the record setting laps there if you're not familiar with the track.

It's really hard to post on here sometimes. I mean Jeez! I only share on here for fun and to share info or fun/learning experiences. Then people start saying negative **** or getting wild about it. TO ME - If the faster car was in back u wouldn't see the front car pull away like that, the gap would decrease even though the person ahead would appear faster at first due to them getting on throttle first. And the gap wouldn't increase as it does specifically in the straights which shows the power difference. Even more so you or someone else mentioned the GTS gained under braking so it's really all showing the gains in the straight then. But maybe I'm an idiot and have no idea what I'm saying.

Last edited by DD GT3 RD; 08-26-2015 at 07:42 PM.

Quick Reply: How fast does a GT3 pull away from a GTS....