Sponsored by:

Thoughts on future GTS collectability if it stays NA

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2015, 07:44 PM
MKW
Rennlist Member

Received 70 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by SDaddy
Agree 100% that the focus should be to go with what you enjoy. No one can predict the future, especially long term. My guess aligns with others. I would be thrilled if in 30 years my 7MT, SPASM, non sunroof GTS is worth something close to what I paid. I seriously doubt it will happen before that timeframe. And by then, gasoline will probably be hard to find...

If you keep any sporty car for 30 yrs in like new condition and relatively low miles it will be worth what you paid , Mustang or Porsche , etc. You would still be far ,far behind by the opportunity cost of putting that same number of dollars today into investments when you factor in 30 yrs of ins, maintenance, repairs, gas .....
Actually , a , say , 30 yr old Mustang GT350 would be worth much more then relative to orig MSRP than a C2S or even GTS .
Look at current asking prices of a 997 GTS vs a 997 GT3 compared to orig MSRP ..that's all you need to know now and in the future for its long term value for 911 buyers of each generation
Old 08-24-2015, 02:14 AM
Mondrian
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Its all about numbers ie supply & demand - 30 yrs ago no one bought a car as an investment so very few actually survived in "collector" low mile original spec cars whereas today everyone is at it. If the car was released in limited numbers and has enough appeal (demand) then it has a chance. As far as I know GTS is not a limited production model but its quite desirable and numbers are less than 991s so should fair better in depreciation.
Old 08-24-2015, 02:21 AM
stevebmd
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

funny, but about 6 years ago i was looking at 911 RSAs, at 30-40k for a ten year old car. Now try TRIPLE that number. So who knows, except those cars are all the rage aircooled and all the rage. Water pumpers....is being that last of the NA cars ike the last of the air-cooled, not so sure
Old 08-24-2015, 10:23 AM
LandShark
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by RS911
I leave you with a last thought. When an acquaintance was passing away, the question was asked: What do you regret in life? The surprising answer was: I wish, I had used my fine china more, instead of just admiring it from the cabinet.

In short: life is short, enjoy it to the fullest.
Amen.
Old 08-24-2015, 12:43 PM
thomnellie
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Collectibles will be the truly rare, with some significant history, such as race winners, notable drivers or significant technology. The 918 will probably be collectible. Can't think of anything else in the current line-up that is likely to fit the bill. Maybe a successfully raced GT3 RS.
Old 08-24-2015, 01:51 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,634 Likes on 2,360 Posts

Originally Posted by stratocaster69
I was wondering your thoughts, and what may happen with the future of the GTS, being collectable or sought after if it stays non turbo and naturally aspirated.

I have read the articles of the Carrera change up to turbos in the 991.2, but also have read two magazine articles that said the GT3 and the GTS would not get these changes.

Makes me wonder if the GTS will be sought after just for the fact of getting a NA type engine and the sound. It will give up nill in power to the turbo units. So why not just order and want the GTS over the turbo cars. Price point I know would be the biggest issue.

Than makes a person wonder if the Carrera S out does the GTS from 0-60 by 1/10 of a second like the article said, why wouldn't they do something to the GTS so its a tad quicker to carry the GTS badge. Or is this hogwash do you think and the GTS will get the turbo as well?

Thanks
its not going to stay N.A, all the press comments are in regard to the current production and the new facelifted turbo charged models. When they introduce the 991.2 GTS (probably 2-3 years from now) it will be the 3.0L
"S" turbo engine with the "Exclusive" powerkit (tune).
Old 08-24-2015, 01:56 PM
STG
Race Director

Received 200 Likes on 142 Posts
Default Thoughts on future GTS collectability if it stays NA

Originally Posted by Larry Cable
its not going to stay N.A, all the press comments are in regard to the current production and the new facelifted turbo charged models. When they introduce the 991.2 GTS (probably 2-3 years from now) it will be the 3.0L
+911! Spot on
Old 08-24-2015, 02:47 PM
TrackDays247.com
Former Vendor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

3 yr old Porsche gives the sweet spot: Lower price but still current. Let some take the depreciation.
Old 08-24-2015, 02:55 PM
MJBird993
Drifting

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by drcollie
The key is the manual trans
+1 on that.

I am considering ordering a 2016 GTS myself, configured the way I want it and that will be my long-term car if I do. But then again, I also think a Ferrari 599 will be worth WAY - WAY more than a Porsche GTS in 20 years, so I'm considering one of those as well.
a) long-term for you my friend means more than a year
b) you should buy the Ferrari (if for no more reason than I want to drive it)
c) in 20 years the only driving you'll be doing is in your wheelchair
d) you'll never keep the Ferrari/GTS/whatever 20 years
Old 08-24-2015, 03:13 PM
Scorponok
Rennlist Member

Received 87 Likes on 43 Posts

There is virtually zero chance the GTS will be worth anything north of what you paid for it in X years.

X can be equal to anything btw.
Old 08-24-2015, 04:26 PM
mathfuzzy
Rennlist Member

Received 400 Likes on 134 Posts

I think the ground is pretty much covered with respect to the OP's original question.

I wouldn't bet against a 2016 GTS in pristine condition with very low miles and three pedals being worth original MSRP or slightly more in 20 years. If non-autonomous cars are even still allowed on the road then. But who wants to own a car like this and not drive it? Not me.

I wonder if there's an argument to be made for the 2016 Turbo being a potential collectible. It's the last year that the 911 performance icon will be identified with that word. It's kind of odd that, unless I'm missing something, it's about to sound stupid to identify a 911 variant as a "Turbo." In a way, sad, actually.
Old 08-24-2015, 05:11 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,634 Likes on 2,360 Posts

Originally Posted by MJBird993
+1 on that.

a) long-term for you my friend means more than a year
b) you should buy the Ferrari (if for no more reason than I want to drive it)
c) in 20 years the only driving you'll be doing is in your wheelchair
d) you'll never keep the Ferrari/GTS/whatever 20 years
will it be N.A, turbo or hybrid, manual or PDK?
Old 08-24-2015, 07:22 PM
BMWMB
Instructor

Received 52 Likes on 24 Posts

Here in Europe, the GTS is allready sold out, and the 3.8 NA engine is almost out of production. Only the GT3 models wil stay NA, and all the other models will have turbo engines. I don't think there will be a 991.2 GTS soon.

Because this GTS is the last NA 911 and most powerfull 991 with manual gearbox, i'm pretty sure it will allways be a desired model. Is it collectable? I don't think so. It will depreciate less than a regular 991, but it willl never have a higher value than what we pay today. I think it will depreciate 30% over the next 5 years, and from than the value will be stable. That's what i think.
Old 08-24-2015, 11:45 PM
StudGarden
Burning Brakes

Received 47 Likes on 27 Posts
Default Thoughts on future GTS collectability if it stays NA

The Macan S is a turbo but not as turboey as the Macan Turbo.

Wait, what?
Old 08-25-2015, 08:11 AM
MJBird993
Drifting

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

---Quote (Originally by MJBird993) in response to DRCollie---
c) *in 20 years the only driving you'll be doing is in your wheelchair*
---End Quote---
will it be N.A, turbo or hybrid, manual or PDK?
Knowing DRC as I do, I suspect that it will be a turbo hybrid with HRE wheels and the finest wax job available.

Oh, and he will tire of it in 6 months and get a newer, shinier, different and more powerful wheelchair.

Quick Reply: Thoughts on future GTS collectability if it stays NA