Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Does anyone have a solution for front license plate for a GTS?

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2015, 03:08 AM
Wooly1
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 3 Posts

Who would actually ruin the beautiful nose of Porsche with a front plate? The answer to this thread is "Does not Apply". Never used a front plate in California for 35 years. Got one $35 parking ticket 10 years ago. I would pay a lot mor tickets before I would consider a front plate too.
Old 08-27-2015, 10:17 AM
ChoyV
Racer

Received 35 Likes on 19 Posts

Of all the cars I have/had without front plate, I was stopped by a cop when I was driving the Civic. Initially, I was stopped for speeding but he didn't use any radar or laser gun. He just assume that I was speeding. Maybe yes or maybe no that I was speeding. But he let me go but not without giving me a ticket without front plate. The ticket for no plate here in OH is around $100+.
Old 10-20-2015, 01:56 PM
PatrickC23
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Visceral
When I receive the Drop-Mount, I'll pull the tow-hook plug and try it out. If there's any issue with rigidity, appearance, blockage of radiators, etc. etc.; I'll have my plate turned into a replica vinyl sticker and try it. If I get a ticket, I'll see if a judge reverses it. If not, I'll look into getting rare-earth magnets stuck on the back side of my bumper. I can then place some magnets between the back of the plate and some microfiber cloth adhered with double sided tape, and apply it whenever I park (The car is completely covered in Xpel Ultimate).

Who knows. There's no way I'm putting that factory bracket on the car.
Did you ever get this on?
Old 10-21-2015, 02:42 AM
Porsche911GTS'16
Drifting

Received 1,159 Likes on 562 Posts

In Los Angeles, it is very common to see cars without front license plates, my 911 included. In West Hollywood, you are guaranteed to get a ticket (as I did) if you park the car at a meter. Of course, in WeHo, it is hard to park at a meter without getting a ticket for one reason or another. It is a fix-it ticket. I am getting a GTS in a few weeks and there is no way I am having holes put in my front bumper. I just won't park in WeHo. They have taken enough of my money, those bastards.
Old 10-26-2015, 03:30 PM
drsubie
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by PatrickC23
Did you ever get this on?
Interested in results/quality as well on the drop mount...
Old 10-28-2015, 09:48 PM
diesel1
Track Day

I use this one http://skenedesign.com/FPBracket/Gallery.shtml
It works well with the GTS two small holes on the underside of the bumper.
Old 10-28-2015, 10:17 PM
Briby
Advanced

I've posted this elsewhere regarding front plates:

Make a simple photocopy of the plate (I reduce it to 90% size). Laminate the paper, or simply cover it with clear tape. Tape it to the bumper. It bends, so it lies flush. When it gets dirty or tattered, swap it for a new one. Never had an issue getting tape off, never had a ticket. If you're taking it to a show or something, you can easily remove it when you get there.
Old 10-29-2015, 01:06 AM
Rick-A-Shay
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Believe it or not…… I used to know a fellow who drove his car around for five years without any plates. He left the dealer frames on with the dealer ad card within, and left the temp registration tag in the windshield at the right lower corner (here in CA). But he DID pay his registration every year and kept the plate in the trunk.

However, state is now looking at those, like him, who drive the bridge (he didn't)
and have no plates (new car) and don't pay so the cameras can't catch them!

Have a nice day…….
Old 10-29-2015, 02:55 AM
fastdiablo
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Rick-A-Shay
Believe it or not…… I used to know a fellow who drove his car around for five years without any plates. He left the dealer frames on with the dealer ad card within, and left the temp registration tag in the windshield at the right lower corner (here in CA). But he DID pay his registration every year and kept the plate in the trunk. However, state is now looking at those, like him, who drive the bridge (he didn't) and have no plates (new car) and don't pay so the cameras can't catch them! Have a nice day…….
Did this with my cayenne for two years before the park police of all people made me mount my plate in front of them.
Old 10-29-2015, 01:20 PM
akbjr
Track Day

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default us millworks

I have a US MILL WORKS front quick release mount that works well on a GTS. When off it does not set off the parking sensors and when on it does, I only use it when parked in the city and works great.

The short time time that it enables a bit of the front parking sensor is no big deal.
Old 11-10-2015, 01:23 PM
Vise
Drifting

Received 313 Likes on 191 Posts

Got my third front plate ticket (since July) this morning and it looks like I need to do something about it... I went 6 months with the car before getting my first ticket and now it is all downhill. I'm not planning to drill so going to give one of the tow hook options a shot. Issues is I have the parking sensors so wanted something that I could mount low or to the left.

Ended up ordering the rho-plate this morning with the extender bracket below. Looks like it should give me enough flexibility to keep the plate out of the way of the sensor... looks ok too, not optimal of course but I'm committed to not drilling. Should be easy enough to take off/put on too, we'll see.

Old 11-10-2015, 02:21 PM
PatrickC23
Racer

Originally Posted by Vise
Got my third front plate ticket (since July) this morning and it looks like I need to do something about it... I went 6 months with the car before getting my first ticket and now it is all downhill. I'm not planning to drill so going to give one of the tow hook options a shot. Issues is I have the parking sensors so wanted something that I could mount low or to the left.

Ended up ordering the rho-plate this morning with the extender bracket below. Looks like it should give me enough flexibility to keep the plate out of the way of the sensor... looks ok too, not optimal of course but I'm committed to not drilling. Should be easy enough to take off/put on too, we'll see.

Nice - please post some pics after you get it on.
Old 11-10-2015, 03:33 PM
Vise
Drifting

Received 313 Likes on 191 Posts

Originally Posted by PatrickC23
Nice - please post some pics after you get it on.
Yes for sure... I hope it looks ok once mounted. I'm not 100% sold on the off-center mount but it will make it much easier to take off/put on.
Old 11-10-2015, 04:47 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,858 Likes on 1,902 Posts

That skenedesign mount looks pretty slick. I may buy one of those if I ever get ticketed a few times.
Old 11-10-2015, 04:55 PM
stratocaster69
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by pcosta
In my old Porsche I used the tow hook solution, which was not great, but it was better than square in the front bumper.
Getting a GTS which has the Sport Design bumper and a third radiator. Also have the parking sensors, so I really don't know how deal with it.
The tow hook is not a solution because of the parking sensors.
Does anyone have pictures of passable solutions?
Check with your DMV if you haven't. In my state 2 plates are required, but if you run special interest plate you only need one plate on the back. Maybe your state has something similar.

That is what I did and you can get it in vanity as well. It cost 50 per year. The only stipulation here is that it cant be used as a work car, and has to a collector or has to meet other easy criteria.

Maybe you have checked, but just in case!

Quick Reply: Does anyone have a solution for front license plate for a GTS?