Sponsored by:

93 octane? Californians?

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2015, 09:43 PM
MJG911
Three Wheelin'

Received 55 Likes on 43 Posts
Default 93 octane? Californians?

Just purchased my CPO 12 C2S a week and a half ago and filled it up for the first time today. I noticed the fuel door says 93 octane.

What do you californians do that only have 91?
Old 06-23-2015, 10:12 PM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,413 Likes on 2,516 Posts

They put the 91 in. You're fine. Buy a quality product from a busy station. If you track it some day, buy some unleaded race gas at the track.
Old 06-24-2015, 12:08 AM
MJG911
Three Wheelin'

Received 55 Likes on 43 Posts

I have 93 here in Georgia, I have just never seen 93 as the recommended fuel. its usually 91 because of california. I have a racecar, so if I track it, it will only be one session at some point when I can have my wfie drive the car out, and it wont be all out.
Old 06-24-2015, 01:42 AM
dr.alexs
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Below is an excerpt from the manual. Basically it says that 93 is ideal but 91 is ok. The engine will accommodate the lower octane without an issue. The lower octane means slightly decreased performance...but if that's all you have in CA, at least you can be reassured that you are doing no damage to the car.

FROM THE MANUAL:
Fuel Recommendations

Your Porsche is equipped with catalytic converters and must use UNLEADED FUEL WITHOUT METALLIC ADDITIVES ONLY.

Your engine is designed to provide optimum performance and fuel economy using unleaded premium fuel with an octane rating of 98 RON (93 CLC or AKI). Porsche therefore recommends the use of these fuels in your vehicle.

Porsche also recognizes that these fuels may not always be available. Be assured that your vehicle will operate properly on unleaded premium fuels with octane numbers of at least 95 RON
(90 CLC or AKI), since the engine’s “Electronic Oktane™ knock control” will adapt the ignition timing, if necessary.

If fuels of less than 95 RON (90 CLC or AKI) are used however, this could reduce performance and increase fuel consumption.

Avoid driving at full throttle.
It is important to observe the regular service intervals, and particularly the oil change intervals, specified in the “Maintenance” booklet.

The use of UNLEADED FUEL ONLY is critically important to the life of the catalytic converters. Deposits from leaded fuels will ruin the converters and make them ineffective as an emission control device.

Cars with catalytic converters have a smaller fuel tank opening, and gas station pumps that dispense unleaded fuel have smaller nozzles. This will prevent accidental pumping of leaded fuel into cars with catalytic converters.

Unleaded fuels may not be available outside the continental U.S. and Canada. Therefore, we recommend you do not take your car to areas or countries where unleaded fuel may not be available.

Octane ratings

Octane rating indicates a fuel’s ability to resist detonation. Therefore, buying the correct octane gas is important to prevent engine “damage”.

The RON octane rating is based on the research method. The CLC (U.S. Cost of Living Council octane rating) or AKI (antiknock index) octane rating usually displayed on U.S. fuel pumps is calculated as research octane number plus motor octane number, divided by 2, that is written as:

The CLC or AKI octane rating is usually lower than the RON rating:

For example: 95 RON equals 90 CLC or AKI.

Fuels containing ethanol

Do not use any fuels containing more than 10 percent ethanol by volume.

We recommend, however, to change to a different fuel or station if any of the following problems occur with your vehicle:

Deterioration of driveability and performance.
Substantially reduced fuel economy.
Vapor lock and non-start problems, especially at high altitude or at high temperature.
Engine malfunction or stalling.
Old 06-24-2015, 09:08 AM
hinckley
Three Wheelin'

Received 253 Likes on 144 Posts

Can someone explain why higher octane fuel is not available in some parts of the country?
Old 06-24-2015, 09:28 AM
Michael15
Instructor

I live in Rancho Santa Fe, CA and we do have some high octane available to us but it is limited and you have to find the correct stations. There is a privately owned Mobil(yuk!) in our town that will sell 100, 95 and 93 Octane. Yes, it is very expensive.

I work for Shell...that's why the "yuk"....lol!
Old 06-24-2015, 09:54 AM
Dalema
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Would love to know of some higher octane in the Bay Area outside of the track. Just to try it out.
Old 06-24-2015, 06:46 PM
Scottish Pete
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I wonder how much horsepower is lost on a 400 hp 3.8 S engine when the detonation sensors retard the timing with the 91 octane (Research Octane + Motor Octane divided by 2) gasoline in California?
Old 06-24-2015, 07:07 PM
LexVan
Banned

Originally Posted by Scottish Pete
I wonder how much horsepower is lost on a 400 hp 3.8 S engine when the detonation sensors retard the timing with the 91 octane (Research Octane + Motor Octane divided by 2) gasoline in California?
Close to zero.
Old 06-24-2015, 08:29 PM
Hugh Jardon
Advanced

I buy 100 octane (Sunoco brand race gas) at Marks 76 in Fullerton CA.

2043 W Commonwealth Ave, Fullerton, CA 92833

It's $10/gal. I blend in at roughly 1 gal of race gas to 3 gal of 91 to get >93.

I notice a little difference but it may be just the placebo effect. I've been keeping track of mileage vs. the 93 blend and straight up 91, all vs. the 3 different driving modes (in my car) non-sport mode, non-sport mode w/start stop, and sport mode.

I'll post the results probably by end of summer. Start -stop saves a bit of fuel bit I don't like the engine cycling on and off all the time. That causes me worry for long term reliability.
Old 06-25-2015, 09:37 AM
Bacura
Three Wheelin'

In Toronto we have 93 available but it has ethanol. I just switched to shell 91 because it has no ethanol. So I am trading off higher octane to avoid ethanol. I notice no difference in performance but I don't track the car.I am told I should get better gas mileage but I'm not sure if that is true.
Old 06-25-2015, 10:53 AM
Tom Tweed
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Dalema
Would love to know of some higher octane in the Bay Area outside of the track. Just to try it out.
I have used this site to locate 100 unleaded race gas sold at the pump in CA and NV: http://www.davebarton.com/Unleaded_Racing_Fuel_in_SoCal
There are more links at the bottom of the page that might also help you locate sources.

TT
Old 06-25-2015, 03:53 PM
Dalema
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Tom Tweed
I have used this site to locate 100 unleaded race gas sold at the pump in CA and NV: http://www.davebarton.com/Unleaded_Racing_Fuel_in_SoCal
There are more links at the bottom of the page that might also help you locate sources.

TT
Cool - thanks!
Old 06-25-2015, 05:31 PM
JerryAlbee
Intermediate

Can you use commercially available additives (octane boosters, etc) to bring up 91 to 93? Seems easy to buy in bulk and store, and probably is easy to add to the tank, but it is safe? Does it work? And is it legal (the bottles more or less state they are not street legal)
Old 06-25-2015, 05:39 PM
LexVan
Banned

Originally Posted by JerryAlbee
Can you use commercially available additives (octane boosters, etc) to bring up 91 to 93? Seems easy to buy in bulk and store, and probably is easy to add to the tank, but it is safe? Does it work? And is it legal (the bottles more or less state they are not street legal)
But why? It's totally unnecessary.

Quick Reply: 93 octane? Californians?