Sponsored by:

bottoming-out a 991?

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2015, 09:35 AM
Slantnose!
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
Default bottoming-out a 991?

Hey, trying to figure out where the wheel/tire ends-up in relation to the outer fender when the suspension on our cars is bottomed-out.
Does it go up into the fender or just stop before?
Been seeing alot of pictures with 991's lately with wheels appearing to stick-out & would assume the tires would hit or rub.
Old 05-21-2015, 11:00 AM
lunarx
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Yea, lots of people go too far with reverse offset.
Aftermarket wheel manufacturers are recommending those over agressive fitments.
It looks silly.
Old 05-22-2015, 08:12 AM
Slantnose!
Rennlist Member

Default Do the 991 tires go up into the wheel wells?

Yes, that's what I'm seeing & don't know if they actually fit or hit...
...for example, will the tires go up into the fender like the 928 upon full suspension compression or are they like the Corvette, whereas they will always stop before they fender?
Attached Images    
Old 05-22-2015, 08:34 AM
STG
Race Director

Received 200 Likes on 142 Posts

I'm not sure any of the high end wheel companies and sellers on here have posted cars that have wheels pushed out so far they're past the point where they'd ever scrape the fender. Most of them have more aggressive offsets where you don't need spacers like a lot of guys do on OEM wheels.

More aggressive offsets on 20" HRE's, but nowhere near going past the fender. I only see this scenario in the BMW/Honda/Subaru circles with the 20 something crowd. Have never seen a 991 on here I've thought went too far. Have any cars to reference your concerns with?

Old 05-22-2015, 08:52 AM
Slantnose!
Rennlist Member

No, nothing on here I recall & your car looks great.
I've talked to some of the other wheel manufacturers & seen some pictures on-line...
...some are putting on 21/22 staggered set-ups & others say 325, 335 & even 345 width tires can fit on up to 12.5 rim on C2S with a 20's.
Just trying to understand how & if lower a car, would that even be possible, etc.
Old 05-22-2015, 08:55 AM
STG
Race Director

Received 200 Likes on 142 Posts

Talk to him. He has a good pulse on what is the right thing to do without going "too crazy". I agree, going 21" is pushing it. 22" is ridiculous!

They're experts.

http://www.wheelenhancement.com

Dave Martin
Wheel Enhancement
(310) 836-8908

Great dealer of HRE's and all Porsche wheels. They know their stuff!

dave@wheelenhancement.com
Old 05-22-2015, 02:16 PM
chuck911
Race Car

Received 58 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by Slantnose!
Hey, trying to figure out where the wheel/tire ends-up in relation to the outer fender when the suspension on our cars is bottomed-out.
Does it go up into the fender or just stop before?
Been seeing alot of pictures with 991's lately with wheels appearing to stick-out & would assume the tires would hit or rub.
They go up into the fender, just like a 928, just like pretty much every other car. The Chris Harris GT3RS video posted nearby has some nice slo-mo shots where you can see this in real-time. Notice how the fronts have to be able to cope with this even with lots of steering angle. Its a tricky business, and sometimes with the fronts its not the outer fender but something inside like an oil line or ducting that creates a clearance problem. With sheet metal if clearance gets tight you can always roll the fender lip. Not sure how great that works with aluminum. Better than carbon fiber, I'll bet.
Old 05-22-2015, 06:52 PM
Marv800
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by STG991
I'm not sure any of the high end wheel companies and sellers on here have posted cars that have wheels pushed out so far they're past the point where they'd ever scrape the fender. Most of them have more aggressive offsets where you don't need spacers like a lot of guys do on OEM wheels.

More aggressive offsets on 20" HRE's, but nowhere near going past the fender. I only see this scenario in the BMW/Honda/Subaru circles with the 20 something crowd. Have never seen a 991 on here I've thought went too far. Have any cars to reference your concerns with?

DAMN that's a gorgeous car! Is that the charcoal finish on those HREs?
Old 05-22-2015, 08:04 PM
GSIRM3
Drifting

Received 64 Likes on 39 Posts

I think the wheels move in an arch, not just straight up, so you have more clearance then you think.
Old 05-23-2015, 04:22 AM
mmaturo
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Slantnose!
Yes, that's what I'm seeing & don't know if they actually fit or hit...
...for example, will the tires go up into the fender like the 928 upon full suspension compression or are they like the Corvette, whereas they will always stop before they fender?
Your pics from this post didn't transfer but... Note to self, paint the inside of my garage door red. Love your car and now your garage. Is the floor VCT...not looking race deck or similar looks like vinyl tile but looks good.
Old 05-23-2015, 06:52 AM
Slantnose!
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mmaturo
Your pics from this post didn't transfer but... Note to self, paint the inside of my garage door red. Love your car and now your garage. Is the floor VCT...not looking race deck or similar looks like vinyl tile but looks good.
Thanks...yes, they're somekind of composite glued down & usually much cleaner.

Originally Posted by GSIRM3
I think the wheels move in an arch, not just straight up, so you have more clearance then you think.
That makes sense...hadn't thought of that.

Quick Reply: bottoming-out a 991?