Sponsored by:

Power steering plus?

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2015, 10:16 AM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,858 Likes on 1,902 Posts

Originally Posted by weejimmy
Interesting. I'd say the exact opposite! I think it has far more on center feel without it.
My RS5 has the multi driving mode that alters a variety of systems, one of which is steering feel/assist, so I can switch back between Comfort (lots of power assistance) and Dynamic (firm steering) mode. One thing I have noticed is that the car is better on center in Comfort mode. Not entirely sure why, just know that it is.
Old 05-19-2015, 10:20 AM
weejimmy
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That's where my findings don't tally with the official party line. I know that the blurb says it only alters the weight at sub 30 mph, but I am not sure that is true. Either that, or the change in weight as you increase speed erodes confidence. I sometimes felt that the steering went a little light when I lifted off and went to a light throttle opening. The lightness was only for a split second, but was enough to be unnerving. With it off the feels much more planted at speed.

I plan to play with tyres pressure next as mine are set for comfort, so I'll see how it feels with a little more pressure F&R.

Incidentally, my dealer has also turned it off on a Turbo and the owner is apparently over the moon. Hoping a little more tyre pressure will do the trick for me and make it perfect.
Old 05-20-2015, 05:09 AM
weejimmy
Track Day

Went for a 2.5 hour drive last night on a wide range of roads and didn't think about the steering for a single part of it - which I take to mean the weighting is fine without PSP!

I am happy to use a tiny bit more effort in the first and last 30 seconds of my journies to enjoy the time in between more!

Old 05-20-2015, 09:07 AM
NoGaBiker
Drifting

Received 228 Likes on 123 Posts

Went for a 2.5 hour drive last night on a wide range of roads and didn't think about the steering for a single part of it - which I take to mean the weighting is fine without PSP!

I am happy to use a tiny bit more effort in the first and last 30 seconds of my journies to enjoy the time in between more!

INteresting. Glad to hear this. I now have 950 miles on mine, and went for my first 3-ish hour trip to the mountains Saturday. Had a blast but couldn't help noticing that, despite not consciously thinking about or evaluating the steering in any way, on multiple occasions my brain registered a "hmmm... why does this steering feel strange? It's too light" thought. I'm hoping a trip to the softwear maestro might add back some of that critical feel. And I actually like a heavy parking lot feel.
Old 05-20-2015, 10:30 AM
mathfuzzy
Rennlist Member

Received 397 Likes on 134 Posts

You guys scared me. Hopefully scared me straight. I removed it from my order. My salesperson sounded just a little hurt that I chose you guys over him.
Old 05-20-2015, 10:37 AM
NoGaBiker
Drifting

He had already spent the six dollar commission.
Old 05-20-2015, 10:52 AM
mathfuzzy
Rennlist Member

Received 397 Likes on 134 Posts

Originally Posted by NoGaBiker
He had already spent the six dollar commission.
Must have. I'll have to figure out a way to make it up to him...
Old 05-20-2015, 04:51 PM
weejimmy
Track Day

Originally Posted by mathfuzzy
You guys scared me. Hopefully scared me straight. I removed it from my order. My salesperson sounded just a little hurt that I chose you guys over him.
Not sure there is a right and wrong answer, just preferences. The good news is if you feel the car is too much work at low speeds the can add it back on. Relax and enjoy!
Old 05-20-2015, 05:31 PM
NoGaBiker
Drifting

Just spoke to Service Manager at Hennessy and made an appt. to have mine deep-sixed. Looking forward to my new steering!
Old 05-20-2015, 05:39 PM
GSIRM3
Drifting

Received 63 Likes on 38 Posts

Just spoke to Service Manager at Hennessy and made an appt. to have mine deep-sixed. Looking forward to my new steering!
Good. I think you will like the steering much better after the PSP gets axed.
Old 05-21-2015, 07:21 AM
weejimmy
Track Day

Be sure to report your findings...
Old 05-21-2015, 09:03 AM
NoGaBiker
Drifting

Be sure to report your findings...
Will do! My first finding is that they're charging one hour at $145. It's the first one they've done. I have to sign a document saying I realize this will make the steering "tighter."

I suppose if I asked them to remove the rear badges they would make me sign a doc saying I realized that would make the rear of the car more "badgeless."
Old 06-10-2015, 08:55 AM
weejimmy
Track Day

Will do! My first finding is that they're charging one hour at $145. It's the first one they've done. I have to sign a document saying I realize this will make the steering "tighter."

I suppose if I asked them to remove the rear badges they would make me sign a doc saying I realized that would make the rear of the car more "badgeless."
So? Still very happy with PSP turned off on mine. Cant see it going back on. When you aren't thinking "is this heavey" you don't notice it at parking speeds and the weight feels so much more linear when driving.

Just seen the other thread... LOL

Last edited by weejimmy; 06-10-2015 at 09:20 AM.
Old 06-10-2015, 09:18 PM
Koriel
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Noah Fect
It does absolutely nothing when going fast.
On Porsche's website, under PSP it say, "Power steering Plus, the comfort-enhancing power steering system, is available as an option for the 911 Carrera models. At high speeds, the steering is as firm as possible, ensuring maximum precision whilst steer- ing comfort remains as high..."

Link: http://www.porsche.com/usa/models/91...ssis/steering/

When I read that I thought it meant the PSP makes the steering heavier at high speed than without it. So did they really mean it just reverts to a default non-PSP feel at high speed?
Old 06-10-2015, 10:55 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,858 Likes on 1,902 Posts

Originally Posted by Koriel
On Porsche's website, under PSP it say, "Power steering Plus, the comfort-enhancing power steering system, is available as an option for the 911 Carrera models. At high speeds, the steering is as firm as possible, ensuring maximum precision whilst steer- ing comfort remains as high..."

Link: http://www.porsche.com/usa/models/91...ssis/steering/

When I read that I thought it meant the PSP makes the steering heavier at high speed than without it. So did they really mean it just reverts to a default non-PSP feel at high speed?
Yes, the only difference is very low speeds, where PSP provides more assist. There is no difference at speed.

Quick Reply: Power steering plus?