Sponsored by:

Power steering plus?

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2015, 11:44 AM
plenum
Burning Brakes

Received 57 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by weejimmy
... I am still keen to try mine without it.
Perhaps you could have your SA arrange for the removal of the PS+ software, drive it for a while, and if you don't like it without, have them re-install. They do this with the PIWIS tool I believe, so shouldn't take more than 5-10 minutes max, if that long.
Old 05-08-2015, 11:53 AM
weejimmy
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by plenum
Perhaps you could have your SA arrange for the removal of the PS+ software, drive it for a while, and if you don't like it without, have them re-install. They do this with the PIWIS tool I believe, so shouldn't take more than 5-10 minutes max, if that long.
This is what I have been hoping for, but they are unable (or unwilling) to confirm that it can be reactivated once it has been removed. Hence my question here if anyone has an experience of doing this.

Seems odd to me as they have confirmed it can be added to a car that currently doesnt have it... and that it can be turned off/removed. But not that it can be taken off and put back on. It amazes me if Porsche really dont know this!
Old 05-08-2015, 12:02 PM
77tony
Rennlist Member

Received 156 Likes on 118 Posts

Wife likes it and might help with curb rash. T
Old 05-08-2015, 12:30 PM
Dcrna1
Advanced

I suggest you drive one with each. After doing so, I chose to get it. Without it was annoying when turning in a parking lot moving slow. At any speed other than a crawl, can't tell the difference. Worth every penny in my opinion.
Old 05-08-2015, 12:32 PM
SuncoastParts
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 170 Likes on 90 Posts

Not so sure about deleting the software and then adding it back into the car. You may have to check with a Porsche technician to see if it can be done.

However if your car did not come with the option we can always add it. We currently list the Power steering + retrofit on our website here

http://www.suncoastparts.com/product/SKU991PSP.html

It is
Your #1 Source for Genuine Porsche Parts and Accessories on the Web!

Visit us at http://www.SuncoastParts.com
Call us at: 877-923-1700
Email us at: Parts@SuncoastParts.com

Follow our Project 718 Build Thread!

Stay connected:
Join Our Newsletter
Facebook

Old 05-08-2015, 01:09 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,878 Likes on 1,903 Posts

Must have for me. Don't know why anyone would ever want more effort to steer at parking lot speeds.
Old 05-08-2015, 01:40 PM
GSIRM3
Drifting

Received 64 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by Archimedes
Must have for me. Don't know why anyone would ever want more effort to steer at parking lot speeds.
I guess for some of us it doesn't feel like more effort at parking speeds without PSP. It just feels right.
Old 05-09-2015, 06:07 PM
BradB
Drifting

Received 43 Likes on 36 Posts

I have it and like it a lot.
Old 05-09-2015, 06:28 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,878 Likes on 1,903 Posts

Originally Posted by GSIRM3
I guess for some of us it doesn't feel like more effort at parking speeds without PSP. It just feels right.
I get it. It's personal preference.

When I said more, I was speaking in relative terms. I've driven both and there is definitely less effort involved at parking lot speeds with power steering plus.
Old 05-09-2015, 06:31 PM
MKW
Rennlist Member

Received 70 Likes on 38 Posts

to better match a three pedaled car's driving experience at parking lot speeds

Old 05-09-2015, 09:02 PM
nova996
Rennlist Member

Received 25 Likes on 15 Posts

I find it disconcerting and even annoying. A big part of why we buy these cars is feel, and when you're backing out of the garage this is the first thing you feel. For me, it's just way too much boost at slow speeds.

I can see how it isn't too much for some. But before anyone gets it, I would recommend driving cars with and without it. I ordered my Panamera in part so I could one without this feature.
Old 05-10-2015, 12:06 AM
Bacura
Three Wheelin'

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Unless you have muscular dystrophy or cerebral palsy the regular steering is plenty light for parking.
Not needed but not a deal breaker either.
Old 05-10-2015, 05:01 AM
pap2828
Racer

had both....prefer the driving feel without it especially when going fast!
Old 05-10-2015, 08:06 AM
NoGaBiker
Drifting

Received 235 Likes on 126 Posts

So, if a person wanted rid of it and didn't care whether it could be put back or not, is that a known dealer service that can be performed? If so, I'm in. I mindlessly let my SA stick it on my order, then got cold feet several days later but changing at that point would have meant losing my allocation and getting delayed several weeks or more, so I kept it. Not a biggie, but I agree with nova996 and others -- way too much boost at crawl speeds, which gives another feeling of artificiality that I don't relish.
Old 05-10-2015, 09:32 AM
GSIRM3
Drifting

Received 64 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by NoGaBiker
So, if a person wanted rid of it and didn't care whether it could be put back or not, is that a known dealer service that can be performed? If so, I'm in. I mindlessly let my SA stick it on my order, then got cold feet several days later but changing at that point would have meant losing my allocation and getting delayed several weeks or more, so I kept it. Not a biggie, but I agree with nova996 and others -- way too much boost at crawl speeds, which gives another feeling of artificiality that I don't relish.
Suncoast Porsche has the "part" that you can purchase to add PSP to your car. It is of course just software.

http://www.suncoastparts.com/product...91GTSENGINEPER

I know that is the opposite of what you want to do, but just letting you know that it is possible to add it with software, so you would think it would be possible to also delete it, but not sure if a specific "part" number exists for that. Too bad that Porsche just doesn't make that a switchable option for us like some other car companies do. I don't blame you for wanting to get rid of it.

Quick Reply: Power steering plus?