Sponsored by:

Carrera GTS Build Advice

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2015, 01:22 AM
deltachi_991
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Carrera GTS Build Advice

Hi. I'm ordering a carrera GTS - first Porsche. Seek feedback from others on the below build:
Dark Blue exterior
Gray leather interior
20" Carrera S wheels
Manual Transmission
4 way seats
PDCC with PASM
Bose sound system
front and rear camera
SportDesign Steering Wheel
Smoker package
Luggage Net
The purpose of the car will be my daily driver / track car. Any input will be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
Old 03-16-2015, 01:38 AM
Rocket_boy
Burning Brakes

Received 326 Likes on 216 Posts

It's all what you like,...build looks fine!

If you plan to drive at night I would suggest the auto-dimming mirrors. They are not standard, but should be. Most people take them for granted on their other cars, but take my word for it, in a low sitting Porsche you will often be wishing you had them at night.
Old 03-16-2015, 04:46 AM
normantooh
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would add bose if nothing else for resale. Same for PCM if its not standard.

The 18 way seats are really good. Its up to you but I think the Gray is really boring.
Old 03-16-2015, 05:47 AM
MagicRat
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

PCM is standard, Bose already on list. Good call on the auto-dimming mirrors.

Looks like a nice, fun-and-performance oriented build.

My advice on seats and colours of interior/exterior is to try to see/sit in them yourself. Things can look quite different on the configurator from irl. I personally like the 4-way seats more than the 18 (just find I can feel that lumbar support even when it's all the way retracted and it's not in the right place for me).
Old 03-16-2015, 05:51 AM
hinckley
Three Wheelin'

Received 253 Likes on 144 Posts

You also may want to consider the grey/black interior if you haven't already.
Old 03-16-2015, 07:59 AM
NoGaBiker
Drifting

Received 228 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by hinckley
You also may want to consider the grey/black interior if you haven't already.
I agree, look long and hard at this. Seeing an interior awash in any of the lighter colors can be a little much in real life. Red, grey, tan, blue -- they all need to be lower dash and seats only in my opinion.

My brother had a 2002 C2 Cab in Lapis Blue/Granite Grey. Now Granite was a "cheaper" looking grey than the current one, but I swear, it looked like they had just put the top down and got a paint gun filled with grey and sprayed EVERYTHING! I think the most disconcerting part was the steering wheel.

Reminded me too much of my wife's dowry car, an 82 Chevy Citation that was about five years old when we got married. Beige over maroon. Same thing with that red -- paint gun to the interior.

To my eye, the exception to that can be one of the dark browns; I had a Cocoa interior a few years ago and thought it looked great, and I've sat in an Expresso S recently that looked just fine also. But I'd still slightly prefer the variegated Black/Expresso.
Old 03-16-2015, 09:41 AM
jimbo1111
Banned

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

If you are above the Mason Dixon line I would also opt for heated seats.
Old 03-16-2015, 09:42 AM
hinckley
Three Wheelin'

Received 253 Likes on 144 Posts

Originally Posted by NoGaBiker
To my eye, the exception to that can be one of the dark browns; I had a Cocoa interior a few years ago and thought it looked great, and I've sat in an Expresso S recently that looked just fine also. But I'd still slightly prefer the variegated Black/Expresso.
I think that Dark Blue over Espresso could look great, but it's a bit of a daring look. And I too would love an Espresso/Black interior combo. I ended up with Dark Blue over Espresso/Cognac and I'm very happy with it, but it's not cheap.
Old 03-16-2015, 11:45 AM
GSIRM3
Drifting

Received 63 Likes on 38 Posts

Sounds like you are set on leather interior. I thought I was too until I saw the GTS Interior Communication Package. That is what I ended up with (Carmine Red stitching) and I have absolutely no regrets. To me, it "makes" the GTS a GTS. I understand why you might not like the standard alcantara interior, but if you haven't seen one with the GTS interior Package, you might want to see if you can find one to look at before you finalize your order.
Old 03-16-2015, 11:46 AM
NoGaBiker
Drifting

Received 228 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by hinckley
I think that Dark Blue over Espresso could look great, but it's a bit of a daring look. And I too would love an Espresso/Black interior combo. I ended up with Dark Blue over Espresso/Cognac and I'm very happy with it, but it's not cheap.
Agree. And expresso/Cognac is gorgeous, just very pricey like you say.

In a perfect world, Porsche would let us at least deviate the steering wheel to black on any interior -- it would go a long way towards making the solid lighter colored interiors look better, and ought to be a free change, since there must be 10,000 black wheels in the parts bin at any one time.
Old 03-16-2015, 12:02 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,441 Likes on 2,248 Posts

Originally Posted by deltachi_991
Hi. I'm ordering a carrera GTS - first Porsche. Seek feedback from others on the below build:
Dark Blue exterior
Gray leather interior
20" Carrera S wheels
Manual Transmission
4 way seats
PDCC with PASM
Bose sound system
front and rear camera
Smoker package
Luggage Net
The purpose of the car will be my daily driver / track car. Any input will be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
bin PDCC a waste of money IMO, replace with PASM-sport.
Old 03-16-2015, 12:14 PM
MagicRat
Burning Brakes

Different strokes for different folks. I like PDCC and thought the deviated stitching on the GTS interior package looked too bright and busy. Went for black leather/alcantara interior so it still has the logo on the headrests, but it's in black.

I wonder if any two 911s are identical, anywhere...
Old 03-16-2015, 12:26 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by MagicRat
Different strokes for different folks. I like PDCC and thought the deviated stitching on the GTS interior package looked too bright and busy. Went for black leather/alcantara interior so it still has the logo on the headrests, but it's in black.

I wonder if any two 911s are identical, anywhere...
Note the OP's car is dual purpose dd/track ... if he wants a track 991 he should spec Sport PASM and avoid PDCC ...

I personally dont think a 911 needs dynamic swaybars, its not a 2.5 ton SUV, YMMV
Old 03-16-2015, 12:27 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by deltachi_991
Dark Blue exterior
Gray leather interior
20" Carrera S wheels
Manual Transmission
4 way seats
PDCC with PASM
Bose sound system
front and rear camera
Smoker package
Luggage Net
a full gray interior might be "too gray" maybe black/gray?
Old 03-16-2015, 12:29 PM
MagicRat
Burning Brakes

Doesn't PDCC make the 991 faster round a track? It certainly felt to me like it did, but I'm not an experienced track person.

Quick Reply: Carrera GTS Build Advice