Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How I get to owning a porsche 911

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2015, 11:26 PM
Karl_W944
Rennlist Member

Received 43 Likes on 24 Posts

If the OP is indeed still around, I can relate somewhat.

I'm 19 and a mech eng. student in my third year, hoping to trade up from my Focus ST into a 911 at some point in the next few years(hopefully). I'm personally turned off somewhat by the 991.2s but am waiting to see what they look and sound like once they're out; not that I'll be able to afford them as crazily priced as they are nowadays even in the lowest base trim IMO. My dad's '74 911 is what got me into cars and Porsche.

This past summer, I finally bit the Porsche bullet, worked my butt off all summer and purchased an '84 944 which I love dearly.

Since I'm an old man in a young kid's body when it comes to cars, I'm hoping to get into a 997.2 as my first 911, perfectly content with even a base C2 if it means anything. Heck, I'll even take a Cayman as it appears to be the closest thing to driving a classic 911 nowadays. I'm the weird kid that tries to avoid all the high tech gimmicks in modern cars as much as possible(touch screens and such that I don't need and are things that will just break and be costly later on) which is a losing battle nowadays but I digress. The one thing I love about the 997 compared to the 991 is the fact that there's an actual handbrake, I'm that weird.

Unfortunately, everything takes a LOT of time, so I'd recommend to not pick a job or career solely to get the car you want most, but the one you'll love and be happy. Get the education, internships, what have you, and you'll be on your way.

The only thing I fear stopping us, is the BS with emissions and whatnot in the future that I'm most certainly not looking forwards too as time goes on, killing the spirit and soul of the cars that I love dearly, which only makes me want these cars faster no matter how unrealistic that can be. But do have your top priorities set right, you only have one life and in some cases, one chance to do what you want, unless you're rich...

Best of luck
Old 02-26-2015, 11:31 PM
STG
Race Director

Received 193 Likes on 137 Posts

^^^^^^^^^ This guy gets it ^^^^^^^^

Gives me hope that someone under 30 still does
Old 02-26-2015, 11:49 PM
Karl_W944
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by STG991
^^^^^^^^^ This guy gets it ^^^^^^^^

Gives me hope that someone under 30 still does

Ya know, we did converse a bit on the turbo threads. The waiting game is the ultimate torture test ever devised I'll admit, with the worst part being the longer you wait the chances are the more you can get as a result, but sometimes you just can't wait any longer and you have to pull the trigger on a car. It's a double-edged sword of nightmares.

I just always believed and envied anyone older than me because they lived in the best age of cars as nowadays, they may be the best of the best, but they must feel so souless and dull; and yet no one ever says it or says it's a fair trade-off, but is it really??

Now, let's see if the 991.2 makes 997 and Cayman prices depreciate further in my favor....

While we wait, I think I may have some entertaining articles I've written:
http://oppositelock.jalopnik.com/div...rue-1574527196
http://oppositelock.jalopnik.com/the...ver-1559074275
http://oppositelock.jalopnik.com/opp...ake-1534705782
Old 02-27-2015, 12:03 AM
NoGaBiker
Drifting

Received 228 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by Karl_W944
If the OP is indeed still around, I can relate somewhat.

I'm 19 and a mech eng. student in my third year, hoping to trade up from my Focus ST into a 911 at some point in the next few years(hopefully). I'm personally turned off somewhat by the 991.2s but am waiting to see what they look and sound like once they're out; not that I'll be able to afford them as crazily priced as they are nowadays even in the lowest base trim IMO. My dad's '74 911 is what got me into cars and Porsche.

This past summer, I finally bit the Porsche bullet, worked my butt off all summer and purchased an '84 944 which I love dearly.

Since I'm an old man in a young kid's body when it comes to cars, I'm hoping to get into a 997.2 as my first 911, perfectly content with even a base C2 if it means anything. Heck, I'll even take a Cayman as it appears to be the closest thing to driving a classic 911 nowadays. I'm the weird kid that tries to avoid all the high tech gimmicks in modern cars as much as possible(touch screens and such that I don't need and are things that will just break and be costly later on) which is a losing battle nowadays but I digress. The one thing I love about the 997 compared to the 991 is the fact that there's an actual handbrake, I'm that weird.

Unfortunately, everything takes a LOT of time, so I'd recommend to not pick a job or career solely to get the car you want most, but the one you'll love and be happy. Get the education, internships, what have you, and you'll be on your way.

The only thing I fear stopping us, is the BS with emissions and whatnot in the future that I'm most certainly not looking forwards too as time goes on, killing the spirit and soul of the cars that I love dearly, which only makes me want these cars faster no matter how unrealistic that can be. But do have your top priorities set right, you only have one life and in some cases, one chance to do what you want, unless you're rich...

Best of luck
Sorry, but I don't feel sorry for you. Try getting your license in 1978, where every single year, without fail, from the time you're 16 till about 22, practically every legendary car from every legendary manufacturer became crappier and crappier with each passing year. The few cars that were holding the line, if only barely, ceased being imported into the U.S. Yep, 930 Turbo, one of the very few rays of hope during that dark time, was last seen on these shores in 1979 (my senior year of HS) and didn't reappear till I was two years out of college. And we had no thought that it would ever be back.

Add to that the announced plan by Porsche themselves to phase out the 911 altogether after the SC model, replacing it with the 928. Add to that the near complete disappearance of convertibles on these shores, with only the desperately obsolete and sorely overpriced Alfa Spider left for us.

Fuel injection replaced 4 Webers on the lust-worthy 308 GTB, and succeeded in reducing hp to 180, iirc. The 911 made 172; the Trans Am ran a 10-second zero-to-freakin'-sixty. The Corvette was an ancient, rattly disco-styled POS with a 305 putting out under 200hp.

Jag made no sportscar. BMW made no sportscar. MB made no sportscar. Aston made an ancient V8 Vantage that wasn't sold in the U.S. Maserati -- are you ready for this? -- Maserati conjoined themselves with CHRYSLER and created some abomination called the Chrysler TC, that was a Lebaron convertible with fancy seat cushions or something. Also, they sold their own lamentable ****box called the BiTurbo, cars that were terrible when they ran, and then generally burned to the ground.

Chrysler sold nothing remotely resembling a sportscar, pony car or muscle car. The Mustang was pathetic. Honda, Toyota and Mazda sold only 4-cylinder cars in the U.S., with the exception of the Celica Supra, which was a Celica with a longer wheelbase and an inline six. Datsun, nee Nissan, offered the 280ZX, which at least had a straight six, but the car had gotten much heavier and much uglier, while the motor lost power. Lamborghini sold no cars in the U.S. Ferrari sold only the very slow 308GTBi, the Flat 12 cars being reserved for every other country on earth.

10 years of rampant inflation had created a situation where early seventies used cars, now 6-10 years old, actually sold for the same price they had new! Seriously -- I thought that was just how the world was. I paid $3500 for a 72 240z that had retailed for $3600 seven years earlier. 2800 bucks for my first car, a 6YO Camaro 350 that had retailed for 2600. It's like if today you decided you wanted a 60,000-mile 2007 Boxster S and the going price was $78,000 USD.

So buck up, my young friend. Your automotive future sucks about three orders of magnitude less than mine did at 19. And here I've gotten to enjoy 30 years of ever increasing automotive bounty, with the best Porsches ever built raising the bar year after year.
Old 02-27-2015, 12:21 AM
systemr
Instructor

Received 35 Likes on 20 Posts

do what you actually love and the rest will take care of itself (hopefully). but you still need to put in your time and pay your dues while taking advantage of all of the opportunities that come your way

i bought my first pcar at 26 (boxster) and finally picked up my 911 at 31 last year. along the way i was a consultant, marketer, product manger and worked my *** off. 1 IPO, 1 acquisition, and stock options in 2 very successful startups later here I am haha but guess what I still don't have a turbo, could afford one but always loved NA more (C2S)
Old 02-27-2015, 12:29 AM
Karl_W944
Rennlist Member

You say that, and you most certainly don't have to feel sorry for me, but we are now coming to an age where tree huggers have a bigger pull on the automotive industry than the engineers themselves, every manufacturer is going to downsized and turbocharged motors as a means of cheating MPG and CO2 emissions testing, and cars are becoming autonomous and electric; which in my opinion kills the spirit and soul of the car. and this, unlike the oil crisis and other nonsense that happened in the mid 70s and 80s, we'll never be able to recover from and that's a fact. I'm not gonna lie and say that those times weren't as bad as you make them up to be, I could go have a conversation with my dad on how the Mustang was neutered for almost 2 decades and why he bought a '74 911 to avoid the crappy thermal reactors of the later cars. To be fair, BMW did have some good cars then, E30, the E24 635csi, and the M1 if memory serves me right.

You may have had 30 years of increasing automotive bounty, chances are I and many younger enthusiasts won't. It may not suck as much in your opinion, but this is a pain in my side.

On Porsche building the "best" every year, that may be true from a technical, mechanical and efficient point of view, with the advent of EPS, an electronic parking brake, and all these other electronic gizmos, it's far from the best every year from an emotional stand point. That's not to say they are bad cars, I have much respect for every new P-car, but every year, some passion is lost.

It's that loss in passion and emotion that I fear as an enthusiast. If that makes any sense. That being said, I'm looking forwards with crazed anticipation to see what the 991.2 will be like and the new Cayman as well, but not with open arms.

Quick edit: I'm curious, tell me what it was like as the E-type got worse with each passing year?
Old 02-27-2015, 12:45 AM
NoGaBiker
Drifting

You say that, and you most certainly don't have to feel sorry for me, but we are now coming to an age where tree huggers have a bigger pull on the automotive industry than the engineers themselves, every manufacturer is going to downsized and turbocharged motors as a means of cheating MPG and CO2 emissions testing, and cars are becoming autonomous and electric; which in my opinion kills the spirit and soul of the car. and this, unlike the oil crisis and other nonsense that happened in the mid 70s and 80s, we'll never be able to recover from and that's a fact. I'm not gonna lie and say that those times weren't as bad as you make them up to be, I could go have a conversation with my dad on how the Mustang was neutered for almost 2 decades and why he bought a '74 911 to avoid the crappy thermal reactors of the later cars. To be fair, BMW did have some good cars then, E30, the E24 635csi, and the M1 if memory serves me right.

You may have had 30 years of increasing automotive bounty, chances are I and many younger enthusiasts won't. It may not suck as much in your opinion, but this is a pain in my side.

On Porsche building the "best" every year, that may be true from a technical, mechanical and efficient point of view, with the advent of EPS, an electronic parking brake, and all these other electronic gizmos, it's far from the best every year from an emotional stand point. That's not to say they are bad cars, I have much respect for every new P-car, but every year, some passion is lost.

It's that loss in passion and emotion that I fear as an enthusiast. If that makes any sense. That being said, I'm looking forwards with crazed anticipation to see what the 991.2 will be like and the new Cayman as well, but not with open arms.
I was attempting to point out your lack of perspective, and you just confirmed it.

Why do you think the most sporting, V8 mid-engined Ferrari, the only car that storied marque could bring to the US, made 180 hp? Why do you think TransAms took longer to get to 60mph than Fit's do now? Because of environmental regulations. Not the oil crisis. Cars were choked down to meet emissions standards.

And no, the E30 didn't come out till 88, iirc. After the "30 years of bounty" had begun. And ditto the 3.5liter BMW motor -- 86, iirc. The vaunted five-series? Only flavor available was first the pretty poor 528i, and then the lamentable 528e, where the "e" stood for eta, which was some tribute to the motor's remarkable emissions cleanliness (along with its 125 or so hp. Yes, in the top-of-the-line US spec 5-series.) The M1??? Are you kidding? In America?

MB sold the S-Class in 3 liter diesel flavor only for a few years there, with about 120hp, iirc.

And the larger point of all of this? That from my vantage point as a 16-24 year old, the end of all automotive joy was upon us. Between emissions regs, safety regs, and terrible interior build quality, between horrible fuel injection and thermal reactors and catalytic converters, low octane pump gas that suddenly cost a fortune, and tantalizing European offerings that would never legally see our shores, it was a bleak, bleak time that promised nothing but further erosion.

And why did I think this? Because I was 19 and hadn't lived through much of history. I didn't know that a huge stock market run-up was just getting underway that would create enormous wealth -- I thought stagflation and old used cars costing more than they had new were the way it had always been and the way it would always be. I thought that if cars couldn't be bought that ran six twin throat Weber DCOEs atop a V12, then cars would never be fun again. I thought that if Detroit muscle cars couldn't run 454s with twin four-barrel carbs and big lumpy cams, driving would never be fun.

I had a lot to learn!
Old 02-27-2015, 12:59 AM
Karl_W944
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by NoGaBiker
I was attempting to point out your lack of perspective, and you just confirmed it.

Why do you think the most sporting, V8 mid-engined Ferrari, the only car that storied marque could bring to the US, made 180 hp? Why do you think TransAms took longer to get to 60mph than Fit's do now? Because of environmental regulations. Not the oil crisis. Cars were choked down to meet emissions standards.

And no, the E30 didn't come out till 88, iirc. After the "30 years of bounty" had begun. And ditto the 3.5liter BMW motor -- 86, iirc. The vaunted five-series? Only flavor available was first the pretty poor 528i, and then the lamentable 528e, where the "e" stood for eta, which was some tribute to the motor's remarkable emissions cleanliness (along with its 125 or so hp. Yes, in the top-of-the-line US spec 5-series.) The M1??? Are you kidding? In America?

MB sold the S-Class in 3 liter diesel flavor only for a few years there, with about 120hp, iirc.

And the larger point of all of this? That from my vantage point as a 16-24 year old, the end of all automotive joy was upon us. Between emissions regs, safety regs, and terrible interior build quality, between horrible fuel injection and thermal reactors and catalytic converters, low octane pump gas that suddenly cost a fortune, and tantalizing European offerings that would never legally see our shores, it was a bleak, bleak time that promised nothing but further erosion.

And why did I think this? Because I was 19 and hadn't lived through much of history. I didn't know that a huge stock market run-up was just getting underway that would create enormous wealth -- I thought stagflation and old used cars costing more than they had new were the way it had always been and the way it would always be. I thought that if cars couldn't be bought that ran six twin throat Weber DCOEs atop a V12, then cars would never be fun again. I thought that if Detroit muscle cars couldn't run 454s with twin four-barrel carbs and big lumpy cams, driving would never be fun.

I had a lot to learn!
I have the slightest feeling you're telling me to stop being a philistine and embrace the highly electronic, driver assisted to driverless future that is looming upon the horizon.....And now I have to ask why, so why??

And if I'm still not getting your point correctly, do explain your point? Are you implying while it won't be the same, it'll be a, and I've heard this so many time s to the point of nausea, "a different kind of fun"? Or rather that big motors and cars of old will come back in the form of new cars if given the time and if all this current emission regulation nonsense just goes away...

Quick Edit: Yes, I'm aware I'm lacking some perspective, so please explain a bit more.
Old 02-27-2015, 06:01 AM
worf928
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,007 Posts

I agree with The Padawan.

I was alive during the automotive nadir of the 70s described by NoGaBiker.

This time the engineers cannot save us. The types of passion embodied in today's and yesterday's cars cannot possibly survive the transition to electric auto-driven minivans. In fact I would go so far as to say that engineers are now part of the problem.

Furthermore 'the car' isn't as central to the lives of folks after Gen-x. Karl_W944 is almost a unicorn in his generation. Fewer and fewer folks give a $h+1 about fun cars and thus how focus group demographics fall.

As for new cars ... I also agree with Karl. I'm getting my new Porsche before they get any worse.
Old 02-27-2015, 07:58 AM
NoGaBiker
Drifting

Delete: double posted when trying to edit.
Old 02-27-2015, 08:06 AM
NoGaBiker
Drifting

Originally Posted by NoGaBiker
I was attempting to point out...

...And the larger point of all of this?...

...And why did I think this?...
And if I'm still not getting your point correctly, do explain your point?

Quick Edit: Yes, I'm aware I'm lacking some perspective, so please explain a bit more.
Sorry, I've explained with all the words I have in me, as prefaced by the explanatory introductory phrases in each of my paragraphs above. Feel free to believe as you wish -- it matters not what either of us believe; the future automotive landscape will be what it will be. I didn't let it get me down at its bleakest point in 1982, when annually increasing suckage had been the rule for 11 years, with no evidence it would ever end, and I don't let it get me down now.

I felt a certain panic rise in 1998 when the last air-coolers were rolling off the transporter at my local dealership and I was only able to buy an A4 from them. I knew the world of desirable 911s was over, I just knew it. And yet, 17 years later, the waterpumping, electrically assisted 911s I was worried would destroy all driving fun are the very ones you are elevating and lamenting the impending loss of and your inability to buy.

And I was even around (though I didn't share this view) when the 3.2 gave way to the 964 and many in the community were convinced all future 911s were going to be AWD -- after all, in 1989 that's the only configuration you could get a 964 in, Carrera 4, and the mighty supercar 959 had only come that way.

Dang, looks like I had some more words in me after all!

EDIT: Oh, I forgot to add my final brilliant point. Let's say I had been right: the 993 (or the 964, or the 3.2, or the SC, or the G-Series, or the longhoods) was the last of the "true" 911s, however I might define that. Is that so awful? How many 993s are out there right now, 17 years after the last one was built, with under 30,000 miles on them? A metric ton, that's how many. Just like there will be about a billion people who will be buying "the last normally aspirated 911" Ss and GTSs this year, park them under a cover on a charger and put 1000 miles a year on them.

And since part of the doom-n-gloomers' formula includes a world where nobody likes cool cars anymore, you'll be able to pick and choose, offer 20 cents on the dollar, and use them up like so many Toyota Tercels.

Or, if that doesn't happen, and lots of people still want them (ala, 993s today), even so, how much does a good, low-miles 993 cost? Or I should say, how nice of a 993 could you get today for 991 GTS money? I know the rise in 993 prices has been sharp, but for 140,000 bucks? You can get a VERY nice 98 C2S. You can get the world's best C2. You can probably still even get a sub-100,000-mile 993TT, although that's getting harder. But those are the hated turbos anyway, so off the table. Because hey, if you're okay with a 400hp AWD turbo flat-six 911, you can buy them all day long at your local 991.2 dealer.

Last edited by NoGaBiker; 02-27-2015 at 08:36 AM.
Old 02-27-2015, 02:42 PM
993Mpls
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

To the OP: My two cents are that 1) the most important skill you can learn is learning how to save your money. That's how you can get your Porsche - save your change, no matter what you end up doing for work. 2) Learn how to drive properly. I'm remembering a recent thread about a college kid who mangled a BMW M4 around a tree when trying to drive fast. Plus, Vince, in the 993 forum.

Good luck! The world is a lot of fun.
Old 02-27-2015, 02:46 PM
Scorponok
Rennlist Member

Received 86 Likes on 42 Posts

To the OP, let me first start off by saying ... congrats on at least thinking. You see, that is the first step.

Too many people these days just run off and impulsively purchase things without really calculating and thinking about it. And in the end, as others have pointed out, the object of desire owns you rather than the other way around.

I was 25 when I purchased my first Porsche - a brand new base Boxster in silver (back when the real silver color was only a $700 option, not $3000). As others have pointed out, I would recommend getting a used 911 to start as a new one is far too expensive now-a-days. Cayman and Boxsters are also great options but that depends on your preference.

First, be very patient. It will take a while.

Second step is to pick a career and not a job. Pick one that you both love and that will earn you a couple of bucks over the years. No offense intended to anyone but don't waste your time with bullcrap degrees like English or History, even if you really love them. Stick to Engineering, Sciences, Law, Medicine ... hopefully you love one of those because otherwise there is a good chance you will hate your life, even with a 911 in it.

Third, don't make stupid financial moves. Don't rack up debt unless it's for education and most certainly don't buy a $100k+ car until you're really ready to do so.

Fourth, don't make stupid financial moves (worth re-iterating). Invest in yourself in the form of education, safety nets, retirement and a home for yourself and your future car. THEN start thinking about the Porsche. It's not worth it or fair to get such a nice car only to park it on the street, exposed to the elements and the stupidity of other people. A lets not forget about checking on the cost of insurance for your car BEFORE you buy it.

Otherwise, keep your head on straight and start looking into exciting career options for yourself. And don't forget to get laid once in a while either.

I studied engineering and am currently working in the software development field.
Old 02-27-2015, 03:09 PM
PDK1965
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I can't resist adding something now. As others have said, it's the journey that matters. You better like what you're doing along the way, otherwise the 911 or whatever it is you're lusting after won't be nearly as great as you imagine.

And I really gotta agree with NoGaBiker, that it's pretty hard to complain about modern cars. Regulations, emissions requirements and the like have led to what exactly? Evolution. They've given us a 911 with 350-430 bhp (or 475 if you're a GT3 owner) that is can be used as a DD for many thousands of reliable miles, can be tracked in whichever form you choose, that won't kill you if you get frisky with the go-fast pedal, and, if it makes you feel good, can achieve 30+ claimed mpg with sensible driving.

So the 911 isn't what they once were. It's still a pretty amazing ride and I cannot even imagine feeling grumpy or cheated by time and change when I climb behind the wheel (that is if my GTS is ever built).
Old 02-27-2015, 03:27 PM
TOporschefan
Racer

Received 116 Likes on 62 Posts

Hey Karl-amazing perspective from a young mind view. I could not agree more than what you have said. I see improvements on spec sheets with every passing generation of 911 but a bit of soul is lost as the car manufactures continue to meet increased regulations. I would agree the basic analog days were pretty much over with the 997 but who knows if the new cars end up being like the 918 that's not so bad. Will me miss the past......I sure will.

To the original poster-I think you have it a little *** backwards. Shoot for a profession that you are passionate about and with hard work and determination to be your best the result just maybe that 911 you long for . Starting with the car goal may help focus and motivate you but you really do need to focus on something you love and can be successful at, the rest will follow.

Quick Reply: How I get to owning a porsche 911